UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Television and Video

Notices

Vintage Television and Video Vintage television and video equipment, programmes, VCRs etc.

Closed Thread

Old 10th Sep 2013, 3:13 pm   #21
FERNSEH
Dekatron

Default Re: Murphy Astra TV set 1961.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MALC SCOTT View Post
Hi David, what type of oil would you use?
Hi Malc,
I think Trevor(Murphy310) used ordinary cooking oil. I'll make sure about that.
The picture is brilliant when the set first comes on but after some time the EHT voltage goes down many KVs and the height increases.

DFWB.
Old 10th Sep 2013, 4:01 pm   #22
bobbyball
Octode

Hi David

Well I have two examples of the two button unit, so I could spare one of them...
Old 10th Sep 2013, 6:09 pm   #23
FERNSEH
Dekatron

Hi Robert,
I've sent you a PM.

Regards,
David.
Old 11th Sep 2013, 5:49 pm   #24
Tractorfan
Dekatron

Location: St. Frajou, l'Isle en Dodon, Haute Garonne, France.(Previously: Ellesmere Port, Cheshire, UK.)
Smile Re: Murphy Astra TV set 1961.

Hi,
I remember messing around with a similar set to this many years ago and couldn't understand why the picture brightness kept altering as I moved around the set. Turns out that it had a light dependent resistor in the facia just below the speaker to automatically adjust the brightness according to the room lighting level. I think a few tellies had this feature way back then. Philips springs to mind.
Cheers, Pete
Old 21st Nov 2013, 2:25 pm   #25
irishtv
Triode

What looks like the remote for this set is on sale on eBay:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/VINTAGE-MU...6#ht_633wt_984
Old 21st Nov 2013, 8:37 pm   #26
FERNSEH
Dekatron

I was tipped off about this remote control handset by another forum member so I acted at once and bought it. It was offered on a "Buy it Now!"
As soon as the remote control arrives I will try it out on the Murphy Astra TV.
The chances of finding another remote control for this set is, well remote.

DFWB.
Old 22nd Nov 2013, 1:30 am   #27
murphymad
Heptode

I am yet to restore the 23" version V683XDS.
This is also 1961 with motorised tuning, Ultrasonic remote control, automatic contrast and VHF radio.
This was the absolute top of the range with stand and tambour door which pulls up from under the cabinet (very Murphy).

It will be nice to get this on the bench... I might just do it this side of my 60th... Only another 12 years to go!

Here is a picture of it amongst some other Murphy's I dug out for the "Murphy Day" a couple of years ago.

Mike...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_8204_forum.jpg
Views:	257
Size:	122.3 KB
ID:	86282  
Old 25th Nov 2013, 6:17 pm   #28
FERNSEH
Dekatron

The Murphy remote handset arrived today. I've just tried it out and it works perfectly for channel changing, much better than the Bush Z718 handset I tested the set with recently. The correct Murphy handset sends a burst of ultrasonic sound which the receiver was designed to operate on, not like the constant stream of energy the Z718 handset produces.
The sound mute function does not work. I have no reason to believe that the handset is faulty. The problem is most likely in the remote control receiver unit.
A picture of the compact Murphy handset alongside the Bush Z718 handset.

DFWB.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Z718RCU.jpg
Views:	191
Size:	68.9 KB
ID:	86395  
Old 25th Nov 2013, 6:31 pm   #29
bobbyball
Octode

Hello David, well done indeed in finding the "correct" remote unit, one in a million chance I guess. I'm sure you will fix the sound mute circuit!
Old 25th Nov 2013, 8:11 pm   #30
Tazman1966
Nonode

What a lucky find David. Well done
Old 25th Nov 2013, 9:53 pm   #31
FERNSEH
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbyball View Post
Hello David, well done indeed in finding the "correct" remote unit, one in a million chance I guess. I'm sure you will fix the sound mute circuit!
Hi Robert,
The channel change frequency is 43.5 Khz and the sound mute frequency is 46.5Khz.
The channel change function produces a pulse of 50 volts at the grid of the relay driver valve. More than enough to overcome the 12 volts present on the cathode. The valve needs to be cut-off to prevent the possibility of random channel changing due to the noise pulses which are always present in this acoustic system.
The mute channel is not so good- it is receiving a signal from the remote control but the pulse present at the grid of the relay drive valve is only 8 volts and that's after carefully peaking up the tuned circuit. The 39K1 metal rectifier could be faulty.
The remote control amplifier has four untuned stages. The first is a 6F23 pentode, this is followed by a 6/30L2 double triode, again RC coupled. The final amplifier stage employs another 6F23. the output from this valve goes to the tuned circuits.
The mute level is adjustable. The control can be set for total muting or to any level to satisfy the customers requirements.

Hi Tas,
I am really lucky to find this rare remote control handset. What's the chances of another one ever turning up?

DFWB.
Old 25th Nov 2013, 9:56 pm   #32
bobbyball
Octode

That's a superb set you have there David. Must have cost a bit in it's day. I'm sure you will get to the bottom of the muting problem!