UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Television and Video

Notices

Vintage Television and Video Vintage television and video equipment, programmes, VCRs etc.

Closed Thread

Old 14th May 2009, 9:35 pm   #1
The teleman
Pentode

Default Pye Cw17 Crt

Hi Guys , At the moment i am working on a PYE CW17 restoration but have come to a stop , The crt heater has a short so i need to replace it ( see crt wanted ) the type fitted is a MW 43-80 but have had no luck in obtaining one ,but i do have several AW 43-80 crt`s , would it be possable to use this as an alternative ? if so , what modifications would need to be done ? Thanks Chris .. P.s if anyone has a MW43-80 crt to sell me i would be greatful , Thanks again .
Old 14th May 2009, 10:26 pm   #2
Mikey405
Octode

Default Re: Pye Cw17 Crt

Hi Chris.

I'm probably barking up the wrong tree here as I really have no specific knowledge of these tubes but the first one sounds like a magnetically focussed tube and the second an electrostatically focussed tube. (Like the different tubes used in the all-but identical Bush TV56 and TV66.) I guess that, given an extra source of focus-potential voltage, you could happily swap them over. (Removing all the magnetic focussing paraphernalia of course.) I'm not telling you this through any even remote expertise or experience, just thoughts from the top of my head really. (Prepares to be shot dopwn in flames...)

Kind regards.

From Mike.
Old 15th May 2009, 9:49 am   #3
Heatercathodeshort
Dekatron

Hello Chris,
Mike is spot on here. The AW43-80 will replace the MW43-80 easily. The gun assembly is the same other than the addition of a focus electrode. You will need to remove the focus magnet assembly and if my memory is correct this also includes the picture centering shuffle plates. The AW43-80 should focus with the focus pin earthed. Its not at all critical and if very slightly out of focus may need to be connected to H.T. A usual supply is available around the tube base. You will require a picture centering device. This looks like a massive ion trap magnet and fits just behind the scan coils. Any one will be suitable providing it is for a 70 or 90 degree electrostatic focus tube.
Something I have not tried is to simply slip the AW tube into the set and see if the focus magnets will focus the beam. It may well do so after you have adjusted the ion trap of course. Hope this helps. Regards, John.
Old 15th May 2009, 2:00 pm   #4
The teleman
Pentode

Hi Guy`s , Thanks for the info, I will try the AW 43-80 as it is first to see what happens & i will let you know if it works , Ceers , Chris.
Old 15th May 2009, 7:38 pm   #5
jayceebee
Heptode

Hi Chris, As an experiment I replaced an MW43-64 with an AW43-80Z in a Philips 1756U many many years ago and it gave quite acceptable results ISTR, even with no connection to the focus pin or centering magnets. Also the fact that the replacement was a 90 degree not 70 degree I dont remeber any problems with underscan either.
John C
Old 16th May 2009, 5:30 pm   #6
The teleman
Pentode

Hi Guy`s, The CRT transplant worked o.k. ! I had to remove the old focus unit & add a 2meg preset from the boost line to chassis for the focus potential . I did try with the old focus unit but the AW 43-80 has a slightly shorter neck than the MW43-80 so no room for the ion trap. Anyway the sets working ok at last , Cheers , Chris..
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IM001260.JPG
Views:	294
Size:	72.2 KB
ID:	25458   Click image for larger version

Name:	IM001257.JPG
Views:	256
Size:	58.8 KB
ID:	25459   Click image for larger version

Name:	IM001258.JPG
Views:	298
Size:	69.3 KB
ID:	25460  
Old 16th May 2009, 7:57 pm   #7
chipp1968
Rest in Peace

Is that the "designer pye set " from the mid 50s ? Tube loooking good
Old 16th May 2009, 11:59 pm   #8
FERNSEH
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayceebee View Post
Hi Chris, As an experiment I replaced an MW43-64 with an AW43-80Z
I have an AW43-80Z which I intend someday to fit into a really good set. A set like the Pye CTL58F or the Ferguson 305T.
The AW43-80Z uses the gun assembly from the 110 degree AW43-88. No ion trap required

The CW17 was one the range of Pye products called the "contemporary" series. The cabinet stylist was Robin Day. He was not the TV broadcaster.

DFWB.
Closed Thread