UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Television and Video

Notices

Vintage Television and Video Vintage television and video equipment, programmes, VCRs etc.

Closed Thread

Old 10th May 2009, 6:20 pm   #1
The teleman
Pentode

Default Pye V4

Another great day out at the NVCF !! just got back to CO,DURHAM , few! what a treck, anyway just 2 items purchased this time 1 a pye PTV this is the early version & looks to have been modified to be used as a monitor . & 2 another PYE ( who had all the pye`s ) this fat , this time a rather nice V4 ( thanks to Steve Harris for this one) I was told this is working but as yet have not had time to plug it in , i`ll post some pictures shortly , Cheers , Chris..
Old 11th May 2009, 9:29 am   #2
The teleman
Pentode

Default Re: Pye V4

Here are some pics of the sets, The NVCF is a great place to find sets & parts but this time was a bit short of television sets , didn`t see one dual standard set but theres always next year . Chris..
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IM001247.JPG
Views:	361
Size:	58.7 KB
ID:	25346   Click image for larger version

Name:	IM001248.JPG
Views:	283
Size:	56.5 KB
ID:	25347   Click image for larger version

Name:	IM001249.JPG
Views:	294
Size:	63.7 KB
ID:	25348   Click image for larger version

Name:	IM001250.JPG
Views:	270
Size:	51.6 KB
ID:	25349   Click image for larger version

Name:	IM001251.JPG
Views:	239
Size:	59.4 KB
ID:	25350  

Old 11th May 2009, 4:52 pm   #3
Mikey405
Octode

Those look like a cracking pair Chris. I love that PTV - It looks really industrial and utilitarian and quirky. I'm looking forward to seeing that one working.

From Mike.
Old 11th May 2009, 9:57 pm   #4
The teleman
Pentode

Hi Mike , This PYE PTV has been modified to be a monitor & it has a system switch ? . The set came with a service manual & hand writen details of the conversion to be a 405/625 set .I have not taken the set apart yet but the conversion looks to be a professional job. Cheers , Chris..
Old 11th May 2009, 10:43 pm   #5
chipp1968
Rest in Peace

Presumably the V4 is an early model single chanel as there is no tuner .I had one of these , the one that I plugged in i the garden (see another thread)
and mine was single chanel but it had a hole in the side of the cabinet with a pierced metal grill fitted ! preseumably ready to have a tuner fitted.I think there was a date of Jan 54 stamped inside the cabinet
Old 12th May 2009, 9:25 am   #6
Heatercathodeshort
Dekatron

Hello Chris,
Two great sets you have there. The PTV is mains isolated using 'E' series valves, very nice. The picture shows the set on the right kept apart from the V4 by the Ferguson 988T.[To prevent family arguments] Both should give cracking pictures but the V4 can be a beast to get going due to complex circuitry. Once sorted it will give one of the best 405 pictures of its period.
Regards, John.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Pye PTV + V4.JPG
Views:	346
Size:	55.6 KB
ID:	25371  
Old 12th May 2009, 11:48 am   #7
newlite4
Octode

John, I approve of the aquarium ships wheel lamp on top of the Pye, everyone should have these as part of their TV collection, very nice display.
Neil
Old 12th May 2009, 7:57 pm   #8
Heatercathodeshort
Dekatron

Hello Neil, Thanks! This one has the plastic fish. [Most have an 'Interlude' theme.]
Hello again Chris,
Its quite unusual to find the original version of the PYE V4. Most were fitted with the exterior tuner unit known as the type 47 screwed to the rear of the cabinet back. [Mine is out of view in the picture] The later version fitted with the internal tuner, the VT4 was much more common. Due to the extreme sensitivity of these receivers together with 'Picture Control' AGC and flywheel sync the television service area was extended by a good 30 miles or so bringing in viewers that were well outside the usual range.
Old 12th May 2009, 8:43 pm   #9
murphyv310
Dekatron

Hi John
I have a '53 V4 which is original with just the 5 channel adjustment, these sets are brilliant performers when right, and very reliable especially with modern caps etc. Mine though has been through the mill over the years but has a known history back to the early 60's.
Cheers
Trevor
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	DSC03800.jpg
Views:	223
Size:	57.2 KB
ID:	25381  
Old 12th May 2009, 8:57 pm   #10
The teleman
Pentode

Hi heatercathoeshort, Thanks for the info about the V4, I had been looking for a good set for years as i already have 2 x VT4 , 1 x CTM4 & a VT17, the VT4`s have different chassis 1 being an early type with the i/f transformers on the undeside of the chassis ( like the V4 ) & the seccond being the later type with the i/f transformers on the top of the chassis the same as the CTM4, the VT17 just uses the same style cabinet as the V4, many Thanks , Chris..
Old 12th May 2009, 11:28 pm   #11
mark pirate
Dekatron

Love the V4
I have it's little 9" brother, the V09 awaiting restoration, cracking sets.

Mark
Closed Thread