UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Television and Video

Notices

Vintage Television and Video Vintage television and video equipment, programmes, VCRs etc.

Closed Thread

Old 3rd Oct 2008, 11:32 am   #1
Alf
Hexode

Default Contest to find Scotland's oldest television

Linkfrom BBC Scotland
Old 3rd Oct 2008, 12:36 pm   #2
Michael Maurice

Default Re: Contest to find oldest television

Now that is what I call a challange!

Lets for the time being keep the Aurora standards converter to ourselves although if he is curator he probably knows about it.

One of the conditions that I would like to see is that the set is kept in its original form, iethere must be no conversion from 405 to 625 or from VHF to UHF.

Mr Ian Logie Baird should have put out a warning that if anyone does find such an old TV set, they must never connect it to the mains without it being thoroughly checked.

We on here know all too well what happens if such advice goes unheeded.

Old 3rd Oct 2008, 12:38 pm   #3
dominicbeesley
Octode

Well looks like a free digi-box + an Aurora for the winner. Or even better one of Darryl's new ones!

D
Old 3rd Oct 2008, 1:03 pm   #4
ppppenguin
Retired Dormant Member

I think we should get Gerry to enter the Museum's HMV900. It's an early one. Good publicity for the musuem too.
Old 3rd Oct 2008, 2:07 pm   #5
kalee20
Dekatron

I think the organisers have let themselves in for it! Asking for the world's oldest working TV - if they are admitting the many 405 line sets which are demonstrably working, they also have to admit working mechanical TV. Interesting challenge though! I'm going to be fascinated as to what turns up!
Old 3rd Oct 2008, 2:36 pm   #6
ppppenguin
Retired Dormant Member

I've emailed them suggesting my Marconiphone 702 but putting much greater emphasis on the Museum's collection. Let's see what happens.
Old 3rd Oct 2008, 2:41 pm   #7
Panrock
Nonode

Is there a 240/405 dual standard model surviving anywhere?
Old 3rd Oct 2008, 4:07 pm   #8
FERNSEH
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Panrock View Post
Is there a 240/405 dual standard model surviving anywhere?
All my pre-war HMV and Marconi TVs are 405 line only. It is likely that the early ones were modified to single standard operation.

In the case of the Cossor 137T. I don't think that this set was ever fitted with a standards switch. As the two systems were alternated every week, all that was required was readjustment of the line and frame hold controls, perhaps some adjustment of the height and width as well.

The Cossor 137T employed an electrostatic CRT.

DFWB.
Old 4th Oct 2008, 11:37 am   #9
peter_scott
Dekatron

A friend sent me this link before I saw this thread and I (maybe stupidly) entered my HMV901 but I think it's just looking for the oldest in Scotland corresponding with digital roll-out here.

http://ukpress.google.com/article/AL...JIArZwAiaYliYA

Peter
Old 4th Oct 2008, 6:04 pm   #10
Dave Moll
Dekatron

Hey folks, aren't we thinking a bit too modern here? After all, there are versions of the Aurora (and other converters) which support mechanical TV, so if someone (other than the Media Museum itself, which I know has some) has a Televisor (which can be demonstrated to work with a converter), even a 240/405 dual-standard set wouldn't stand a chance.
Old 4th Oct 2008, 6:57 pm   #11
Heatercathodeshort
Dekatron

Around the start of colour television in 1967 one of the red top papers put out a similar request for the oldest television still in working order and used on a regular basis.
The prize was to be of course a brand new colour set!
The set turned out to be a Cossor 1210 purchased in 1938/9. A picture of it appeared at the time when the winner was announced. It had been in the family since new, around 30 years. Regards, John.
PS. Thinking about it the Kirk O Shotts transmitter did not start until 1952 so it will be unlikely that they find a receiver before that date. Is it a national search?

Last edited by Heatercathodeshort; 4th Oct 2008 at 7:05 pm.
Old 4th Oct 2008, 6:59 pm   #12
Michael Maurice

Quote from the link on Post 1

Speaking on BBC Radio Scotland, he said: "It might be something from before WWII or the late 60s or 70s. We will see what kind of entries we get. Ideally it would be something as old as 1936 when the first electronic TVs came onto the market. "

I think that rules out the Televisor or any other mechanical set for that matter, but it would be interesting if someone submitted such a machine.
Old 6th Oct 2008, 6:09 pm   #13
johnmarshmanagain
Pentode

Hmmmm, surely they really mean the oldest readily-convertible (ie: BBC2) telly that someone's still watching ? Unlikely to be many around continuously (or irregularly) used - though mother's 72 Hitachi occasional-use portable would be a contender were it north of the border Remember it hooked up to a battery during the 3 day week.- has never failed ! Boring really from our point of view .......
Old 6th Oct 2008, 7:40 pm   #14
Station X

It can't mean that because specific reference is made to pre war electronic sets, which can't mean 625 lines.

Quote:
Mr Logie Baird, who is curator of television at the National Media Museum in Bradford, encouraged people to search their lofts.

Speaking on BBC Radio Scotland, he said: "It might be something from before World War II or the late 60s or 70s. We will see what kind of entries we get. Ideally it would be something as old as 1936 when the first electronic TVs came onto the market."
If it's in the loft is not likely to be in regular use or even working. I wonder if the oldest set will need a new tube?

Reach for your meter before you reach for your soldering iron.
Old 7th Oct 2008, 2:32 am   #15
BGmidsUK
Retired Dormant Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBC Scotland
The grandson of John Logie Baird, the Scotsman credited with creating television, has launched a competition to find Scotland's oldest working TV.
From this it has to be a set currently in Scotland (although not necessarily sold there originally) and does need to be working. The likelihood is that the owner of such a set will have some sort of standards converter.

If he's suggesting sets as early as 1936 may be a possibility then I would hazard a guess that he knows about the line standards and the fact broadcasts didn't start in Scotland until much later.

He does also suggest "simplicity" of digital conversion, which I would think precludes an overhaul of the set in question .. but with the discovery of a working vintage set, combined with the publicity, I would hope a proper restoration of the set will be on offer.

However I do think encouraging people to look in their lofts, without any kind of warning as to the safety of plugging these sets in, is a really bad idea.

Just my 2p worth

BG
Old 7th Oct 2008, 8:42 am   #16
Station X

I've attached the rules. Clearly pre war sets from the attic can't be entered. A 405 line set with a standards convertor could be entered, but would probably already have a freeview box anyway.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Scotlands_Oldest_TV_Competition.pdf (14.8 KB, 164 views)

Reach for your meter before you reach for your soldering iron.
Old 7th Oct 2008, 10:52 am   #17
murphyv310
Dekatron

Hello.
A local collector from Dollar but not a member of this Forum has contacted the people from Digital UK.
They were not aware of the 405 line system or the fact that Scotland did not receive TV prior to 1952, also they had no idea about safety.
I have sent a four page letter with a brief history and some safety tips that hopefully will help.
Cheers
Trevor
Old 7th Oct 2008, 11:09 am   #18
Nickthedentist
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by murphyv310 View Post
They were not aware of the 405 line system or the fact that Scotland did not receive TV prior to 1952, also they had no idea about safety.
Ha ha, I thought so somehow
Old 7th Oct 2008, 11:17 am   #19
dave walsh
Dekatron

Location: Ramsbottom (Nr Bury) Lancs or Bexhill (Nr Hastings) Sussex.

Would be interesting to see what you told them Trevor. I think that most of us missed the restriction to one part of the UK only. It seems deeply ironic that Ian L B didn't seem to be aware of Scotland's special status [or lack of it] despite his obvious interest in the subject. The erroneous Radio Scotland 1936 quote doesn't even refer to mechanical systems ie his Grandad's.
A 1952 start line is a little bit limiting in terms of what is out there re early sets although I can well understand the desire to focus [no pun intended] on JLB's homeland. I had occasion to look at the BBC radio history north of the border recently and was surprised by how little I knew about that On the TV front the move to a huge new centre in Glasgow last year didn't seem to get much of a mention further south. It's been much the same in Ramsbottom over the years last to get services etc!
Dave W

Last edited by dave walsh; 7th Oct 2008 at 11:38 am. Reason: misread a previous post
Old 7th Oct 2008, 11:54 am   #20
DoctorWho
Rest in Peace

Having thought about this 30-line TV could have been received in Scotland when JLB was transmitting it, as, I believe it was able to be picked up nationally wasn't it?
Closed Thread