UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Television and Video

Notices

Vintage Television and Video Vintage television and video equipment, programmes, VCRs etc.

Closed Thread

Old 13th Nov 2013, 12:13 am   #1
FERNSEH
Dekatron

Default Ekco TVs with FM radio.

A common fault on certain Ekco and Ferranti TVs is a burn out of the FM/TV switch. Usually it's the HT switch. On TV operation all the valves are in use. When FM is selected the timebase valve heaters are switched out and a resistor is inserted into the heater chain. Lower down in the heater chain the CRT heater is switched out and a lamp to light up the fine tuning control is switched in instead.
On FM the HT supply to the timebase is removed and a 2.2K resistor is connected across the HT supply to maintain a similar load as the timebase valves. About 100mA.
So what does one do when the FM/TV fails? The part is almost impossible to find. I experienced this problem recently on a Ekco TC267/1. My solution was to remove the HT routing wires to the switch and rewire HT to the timebase on a permament basis. The same goes for the heaters of the timebase valves.
So now when the set is on FM radio the timebases are still running. The CRT heaters are switched off as before.
It's not a very green solution but neither is connecting a 2.2Kohm resistor across the HT supply. The truth is using a TV set as an FM radio receiver is not all that green anyway.

DFWB.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	t331.jpg
Views:	129
Size:	27.0 KB
ID:	85971   Click image for larger version

Name:	t331_2.jpg
Views:	200
Size:	91.9 KB
ID:	85972  
Old 13th Nov 2013, 9:10 am   #2
Heatercathodeshort
Dekatron

Default Re: Ekco TVs with FM radio.

A very common fault back in the 60's David. Customers very rarely used the FM section and I used to remove the offending wires from the burnt switch section and disable the operating lever from the trombone switch. It was a simple matter to connect the H.T. and heater connections for TV only operation. I must admit I'm not entirely happy with leaving the line timebase working during FM reception. OK if the LOPT is in 100% condition! John.
Old 13th Nov 2013, 5:36 pm   #3
ntscuser
Hexode

Quote:
Originally Posted by FERNSEH View Post
My solution was to remove the HT routing wires to the switch and rewire HT to the timebase on a permament basis. The same goes for the heaters of the timebase valves.
I'm surprised Ekco didn't do it that way in the first place. Seems logical to me.
Old 13th Nov 2013, 6:51 pm   #4
German Dalek
Hexode

What do you think about a relay solution?
Switching higher currents with a relay will save the original switching contacts.
It has to be powered from a source where it makes no sense to run
the set with 12V DC or mains.
I shall keep this in mind, if I find the time to restore my Ekco.

Best regards,
German Dalek

MARC BOLAN, he was/is the real king of Pop Music!
Old 13th Nov 2013, 8:48 pm   #5
mark pirate
Dekatron

I have an Ekco T310 with the offending switch, but it is working as it should with no sign of any damage or overheating.
Should it be treated like a system switch, I.E. power down the set before switching?

Mark
Old 13th Nov 2013, 9:05 pm   #6
Heatercathodeshort
Dekatron

It's the Paxolin that breaks down Mark and I doubt if switching off would offer much protection. Not the best material for insulation between H.T. and A.C. heaters. It's only resin bonded compressed paper I believe. It used to go pop in the GEC BT300 I.F. plug and the tag strip supplying the mains dropper in the Thorn 850. On the whole it was very reliable and did sterling service in millions of radio applications. J.
Closed Thread