UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Television and Video

Notices

Vintage Television and Video Vintage television and video equipment, programmes, VCRs etc.

Closed Thread

Old 7th Feb 2012, 11:39 pm   #1
IanNVJ35
Heptode

Default Philips VR-969 S-VHS VCR questions

I have just taken custody of a very nice looking VCR - the VR-969. I have never worked on a Philips before but I will give this one a go.

With the cover off I noted that the pinch roller was hard and oily. That is easy to sort. The mechanism is in a right pickle I think. Whilst some parts seem to work with the gears turned by hand, it is in no way happy. I am uploading some clips now to share with you but are there any common issues with the VR-969 mechanism? Is it worth fixing or is it a real bear?

Thanks for any input. Clips to follow.
Old 8th Feb 2012, 12:45 am   #2
Maarten
Dekatron

Default Re: Philips VR-969 S-VHS VCR questions

Generally, turbo drive mechanisms are really easy to fix. The pinch roller is by far the most common problem. The worm wheel used to detach itself from its axle sometimes, but this was more common with earlier models. Also the plastic chassis insert for the gear of one of the loading arms broke sometimes (mostly in the VRx6x generation, and not really often but I've seen it a few times) which could be fixed with a screw and some epoxy.
Old 8th Feb 2012, 1:00 am   #3
IanNVJ35
Heptode

Thanks Maarten.

I uploaded the clips. Perhaps you recognise a fault or two here?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YoB3k...4&feature=plcp

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SlOqL...3&feature=plcp

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KmGIJ...2&feature=plcp

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mveba...1&feature=plcp
Old 8th Feb 2012, 1:15 am   #4
Red to black
Nonode

You almost certainly require a replacement worm gear ass'y (the grinding noise),
The bevel gear part splits, and fails to mesh fully. (Maarten has already mentioned this)

http://www.chsinteractive.co.uk/elec...10-10657_2.htm

The loading gear appears to be incorrect too, and I would expect you to have to re-time at least part of the deck/FL assy.

The pinchroller is easy to replace.

Edit: not all Turbo decks have the extra loading gear (for the loading arms).

Last edited by Red to black; 8th Feb 2012 at 1:28 am.
Old 8th Feb 2012, 1:12 pm   #5
IanNVJ35
Heptode

Thanks for the help. Is the pinch roller the same as those that came on the Charley deck ones with the rack of teeth? I have a few of those as NOS knocking about. I have taken the deck out and have found a white plastic part underneath it has one part that runs in a loading cam and the other end goes to a white toothed protrusion at the deck edge. However the deck is way out of timing so there is a challenge ahead.

May I also ask if that white bar near the capstan thet moves about is broken - or is that doing what it should?
Old 8th Feb 2012, 1:46 pm   #6
Sideband
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by IanNVJ35 View Post
Is the pinch roller the same as those that came on the Charley deck ones with the rack of teeth?
No. It's completely different. I did a servicing article on these decks in 'Television' mag back in the 90's probably under a nom de plume but I can't remember which issue.....

I'll have a dig around in my archives tonight and see if I can find it.

Rich.
Old 8th Feb 2012, 1:47 pm   #7
Red to black
Nonode

Quote:
Is the pinch roller the same as those that came on the Charley deck ones with the rack of teeth?
No, it is different, another point to note on this deck, is sometimes you can get wear on the peg of the pinch arm assy which engages with the main cam, I have in the past needed to replace this item as well on the odd occasion.

Philips do various kits, with all the parts required to repair specific mechanical fault conditions, but you need to be very careful to order the correct kit for the machine, as the Turbo deck comes in several different versions, and the parts whilst looking similar, are not interchangeable, for instance there are several different main cams, and the fast brakes underwent significant modifications (Eco deck variants etc.), different FL assy etc. as with all things Philips, there were many different evolutions of this deck throughout it's production run.

Cross posted with SB
Old 8th Feb 2012, 2:08 pm   #8
HamishBoxer
Dekatron

Thats the Turbo deck and they will not load without a tape in.

David
Old 8th Feb 2012, 2:09 pm   #9
HamishBoxer
Dekatron

PS You cant just wind them by hand
Old 9th Feb 2012, 3:29 pm   #10
Red to black
Nonode

Hi Ian,

Attached is a page from the TV mag which covers the servicing of these decks.

I wonder if this is the Nom de plume SB was referring to ?
Apologies SB, if this is your article, I hope you don't mind.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Philips Turbodeck TELEVISION February 1999, p274.pdf (63.3 KB, 447 views)
Old 9th Feb 2012, 3:42 pm   #11
Welsh Anorak
Dekatron

Hi
One thing you need to remember with these decks is that when you need to replace the carriage, put it into the down position (align arrows on the two big gears). Then before offering it into place, wind the loading mechanism by hand tso that the sub-load lever is on its way over but before the guides move. Replace the carriage and then apply power. It will start to madly thread and unthread several times - don't worry - eventually coming to rest in the eject position. The mechanism is then timed.
Glyn
Old 9th Feb 2012, 5:30 pm   #12
IanNVJ35
Heptode

Thank you so much for the help. I have found that the cog the loading arms are driven by has sheared its mounting peg so what maarten said has affected me. I will repair that (epoxy and screw) over the weekend and report back. May I ask what pinch roller I need please - would it be worth renewing the whole assembly?

Lastly, those tiny cracks in the plastic parts - are they a worry or are they just cosmetic?
Old 9th Feb 2012, 5:36 pm   #13
Red to black
Nonode

Quote:
May I ask what pinch roller I need please - would it be worth renewing the whole assembly?
http://www.chsinteractive.co.uk/sear...sphinx_debug=1

Have a look at the CHS pages above (which is specific for your model re: kits etc.), but any turbo deck roller will fit.
Old 9th Feb 2012, 9:13 pm   #14
Sideband
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red to black View Post
Hi Ian,

Attached is a page from the TV mag which covers the servicing of these decks.

I wonder if this is the Nom de plume SB was referring to ?
Apologies SB, if this is your article, I hope you don't mind.
You found me out!! No I certainly don't mind. If it helps others to repair the decks then it's achieved it's aim.

I used several pen names because I worked for Philips at the time and it was to avoid awkward situations from the trade had I used my real name.

Hope the article is still of some use. Was it really all that long ago.....!

Rich.
Old 9th Feb 2012, 11:14 pm   #15
Red to black
Nonode

Hi SB,

Quote:
You found me out!! No I certainly don't mind. If it helps others to repair the decks then it's achieved it's aim
Thanks for that, and for the article of course!

I posted this article because it is far easier to understand than the Philips manuals (of which I still have a few paper ones), and this article was used by me, and no doubt many other engineers of the day, as a good and very helpful reference guide to this mechanism.

It does not seem all that long ago (does it ?), so thanks again SB.

Last edited by Red to black; 9th Feb 2012 at 11:40 pm.
Old 10th Feb 2012, 9:37 am   #16
Sideband
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red to black View Post
Thanks for that, and for the article of course!

I posted this article because it is far easier to understand than the Philips manuals and this article was used by me, and no doubt many other engineers
Well it's good to know that the article was helpful! I often wondered just how many people these articles helped.

The problem is that most service manuals are written in a theoretical sort of way rather than by practical experience. I must have repaired hundreds of these in their day....

Rich.
Old 10th Feb 2012, 10:56 am   #17
IanNVJ35
Heptode

Thank you for uploading that article. I will spend some time on fixing this deck as it is a really unusual but nice looking machine. I think what has happened is that the tape got stuck inside so someone forced it out, breaking some parts in the process. The original fault being that manky pinch roller.

The heads are mint (like new) so that is a good reason for fixing it I think. I will see how far I can get on my own.
Old 11th Feb 2012, 6:55 pm   #18
Maarten
Dekatron

It seems like yesterday, indeed... However, production of the turbo deck started over 20 years ago (I've only seen VR512 samples from 1992 but it's a 1991 model year machine) and was closed down 10 years ago. B&O presumably had some stock made in advance, so the last turbo VCR on the market may have been one of theirs. This deck may have been one of the longest lasting designs in the world wide history of video decks, not counting >50 design changes during production.
Old 11th Feb 2012, 11:30 pm   #19
vhs doctor
Pentode

In the DSC-0835 clip specify if the middle gear (not the loading arm gears with the springs) have broken pin (base) because when the tension band "stops" the loading quides the base of the gear broken.
In this vcr when you finish the mechanism repair check also the flat cables between the front panle and the main unit there are three two black and one white it is a common problem to be damaged.
Old 13th Feb 2012, 10:47 am   #20
IanNVJ35
Heptode

Quote:
Originally Posted by vhs doctor View Post
In the DSC-0835 clip specify if the middle gear (not the loading arm gears with the springs) have broken pin (base) because when the tension band "stops" the loading quides the base of the gear broken.
In this vcr when you finish the mechanism repair check also the flat cables between the front panle and the main unit there are three two black and one white it is a common problem to be damaged.
Thanks - and yes the pin was broken. I think someone pushed the tape out and broke them.

So far I have fitted a new pinch roller and cleaned up the mechanism. Next up is glueing the pin back into place and getting the mechanism back into order.
Closed Thread