UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > Clubs, Groups and Societies

Notices

Clubs, Groups and Societies For discussions about various clubs, groups and societies relating to our hobbies, such as the BVWS (incl RetroTechUK), BATC, RSGB, APTS, CLPGS, THG, TCC, BECG, MCR21 etc. This is NOT an official forum for any of these organisations.

Closed Thread

Old 13th Sep 2010, 12:36 pm   #1
ekcobeach
Rest in Peace

Default Dulwich Wireless Museum.

Made my first visit to the museum yesterday with John (hoveradio). It was a cracking day weatherwise. I met Gerry Wells, who although quite frail was still able to chat and had a great sense of humour. The collection is brilliant and there are lots of rare and unusual radios etc. The helpers were all very nice people and made you feel really welcome. It was my first time but i was surprised that there were not more people attending. I would just like to say that i highly recommend a visit to Gerry's museum. It really was a great day out and one i look forward to again. Colin.
Old 13th Sep 2010, 12:58 pm   #2
threeseven
Octode

Default Re: Dulwich Wireless Museum.

This is on my asap to do list. It's just a bit of a jaunt for me from Worcester !
Would anyone be up for a group visit from my area ?
Old 13th Sep 2010, 4:08 pm   #3
JoshWard
Octode

A great day out indeed, been once and going back again soon
Old 13th Sep 2010, 7:51 pm   #4
techiesteve
Pentode

It was a great day, my first trip there too. I shall have to go back and have a proper look around.

Steve
Old 13th Sep 2010, 10:59 pm   #5
M0TGX Terry
Hexode

It really was a great day out. I drove down from Lincolnshire and it was well worth it. I shall definitely be going again soon. Well done to everyone involved.

Terry
Old 14th Sep 2010, 9:11 am   #6
Dave Moll
Dekatron

My main experience of the museum has been attending the wireless repair workshops - which make a grand day out, especially if time is made to explore the museum between repair sessions.
Old 15th Jan 2011, 7:55 pm   #7
Stewart7
Diode

I visited the museum 20 years ago when I lived in Dulwich. I'm glad to hear that Gerry is still with us. Does he still serve tea and biscuits in the kitchen and does he still repair radio valves?

many thanks from another Newby
Old 15th Jan 2011, 9:40 pm   #8
Peter.N.
Dekatron

I visited with a friend from Somerset must be about ten years ago, he was building round Ekco's at the time, he is an absolute font of knowledge and I learnt a great deal from him even though I had been in the trade all my life. I have a video I made of the museum and he allowed me an interview which was very entertaining. Its all on VHS I would like to put it on DVD but don't have the technology.

Peter
Old 15th Jan 2011, 9:50 pm   #9
HamishBoxer
Dekatron

Smile Re: Dulwich Wireless Museum.

Just PM me,i do have the technology to transfer and foc apart from postage.
Wont be the first for a group member.

Regards David GM8JET
Old 15th Jan 2011, 10:25 pm   #10
murphymad
Heptode

Hello All,

Peter,

When you made the video of Gerry, was he given a copy ?

The reason I ask, is that we are shortly going to compile a digital archive of all of the television and radio interviews that were ever made of Gerry over the years.
There is quite a lot of material at the Museum, but certainly nowhere near everything that was ever done.
Most of the stuff we already have is on varied formats of recording and everything is to be brought bang up to date and archived by the BVWS for posterity.
It would be nice to have this video for the Museum archive if they don't have a copy.

I was at the Museum all of yesterday and Gerry was his usual self, although not spending much time in the workshops at present due to the weather, but we had a great day with several of the pre-war TV's running in the front room for the afternoon.

Best regards,

Mike...
Old 16th Jan 2011, 1:17 am   #11
Peter.N.
Dekatron

Hi all

If I can find the tape I will get David to copy it for me and then anyone who would like a copy is welcome. I may have the original camera tape, if a copy could be made of that the quality would be that much better. No, he doesn't have a copy.

Dave, I will be in touch when I have found the tape.

Thanks

Peter
Old 16th Jan 2011, 6:05 pm   #12
HamishBoxer
Dekatron

Peter,you are very welcome.Over the years i have bought a few tapes off Gerry and excellent they are too.

Must get mine also on dvd.

Regards David
Closed Thread