UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Offered and Wanted Messages > Sets, Parts and Service Information Offered (private sellers only, exact price required, no swaps)

Notices

Sets, Parts and Service Information Offered (private sellers only, exact price required, no swaps) You may announce components or sets for sale or offered free here. Private collectors only - no traders. You must include an exact price. No swaps.

Old 17th Feb 2019, 7:32 pm   #1
welshie
Diode

Default Ferrograph reel to reel tape machines for sale. Now only 400.

Click image for larger version

Name:	FERROGRAPH.jpg
Views:	303
Size:	87.0 KB
ID:	178578

For Sale: Two Ferrograph Series 6 reel to reel tape recorders with original manuals, one is stereo and the other is mono. They were purchased new in the 1960’s by my father who kept them immaculate and never allowed anyone else to operate them or even breathe on them! They have not been used for over 40 years and have been stored in his home in North Wales. I also have a large box of Scotch reel to reel tapes for these machines, some are used (they would have jazz or Big Band recordings on them) but the bulk are still in their original wrappers and unused. I am offering them together as I know they would be appreciated by someone who knows these machines and knows how rare it is to find them in the condition they are in along with being the original owner. Having not been turned on in for over 40 years I believe I am right in assuming this should be done after cleaning and checking by someone with knowledge and I am not the one to do this as. I am asking 800 cash for the two machines and box of tapes and am willing to deliver or meet halfway for viewing and yes, I live in Canada but will be visiting UK within the month and staying for 3 weeks if anyone is interested & wants to view them.

Last edited by Station X; 17th Feb 2019 at 7:33 pm. Reason: Email address removed.
welshie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th Feb 2019, 2:39 pm   #2
welshie
Diode

Default Re: Ferrograph reel to reel tape machines for sale

I have dropped my asking price to 600 for both Ferrograph machines & box of Scotch tapes. Thanks....
Old 25th Feb 2019, 4:43 pm   #3
PsychMan
Octode

Default Re: Ferrograph reel to reel tape machines for sale. Now only 600.

For those kind of prices you would have better luck on eBay.

Judging by recently completed listings though, those prices are still WAY too optimistic.

Its unlikely also that somebody would want to buy 2 machines at once.

Best of luck with the sale all the same
PsychMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th Feb 2019, 1:47 pm   #4
neftronics
Diode

I know these particular machines (as I know the user "Welshie") so have taken the liberty to expand on the details - Welshie - I hope you don't mind!
The Stereo machine is a 632H (high speed 1/2 track stereo - this can be seen in the photo of the head block). It has very little head wear and overall condition is excellent.
Pictures attached.

The mono machine I think is a 631 but can't be sure and have no photos. I think the reason for Welshie's Father having the two models was to have the entire speed range and tracking arrangement available to him (If you know reel-to-reels you are aware of the limitations of the various arrangements).

After many years of no use rubber components may need restoration (if there are any in a Ferrograph?) and the electronics would need re-capping to avoid smoke!

Hope this helps get closer to determining a value for them.

Also worth adding: If these units are sold to a US or Canadian collector, the playback speed will be wrong. This is because the capstan motor is an induction type and its speed depends on the mains frequency. A 60Hz machine can be converted (sometimes) to 50Hz by fitting a sleeve over the capstan to increase its diameter, but not for going from 50Hz to 60Hz unfortunately. Some kind of frequency converter or 50Hz sinewave inverter would have to be used to power it. Also, not forgetting the 110V vs 240V issue.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	20180412_111506.jpg
Views:	152
Size:	78.1 KB
ID:	179167   Click image for larger version

Name:	20180412_111515.jpg
Views:	138
Size:	64.5 KB
ID:	179168   Click image for larger version

Name:	20180412_111528.jpg
Views:	136
Size:	112.6 KB
ID:	179169   Click image for larger version

Name:	20180412_111537.jpg
Views:	129
Size:	102.9 KB
ID:	179170   Click image for larger version

Name:	20180412_111621.jpg
Views:	119
Size:	53.0 KB
ID:	179171  

neftronics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd Mar 2019, 12:06 am   #5
Phil G4SPZ
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by neftronics View Post

After many years of no use rubber components may need restoration (if there are any in a Ferrograph?)
Yes, there are... rubber-tyred idler wheels which tend to deteriorate, although spares do seem to be available. I once owned a 633 which needed these replacing.

Optimist [n]: Someone who is not aware of the full facts
Phil G4SPZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd Mar 2019, 6:16 am   #6
Restoration73
Octode

Perhaps this is a more appropriate forum for the disposal of these items ;

http://www.audiojumble.co.uk/SalesandWants.php
Restoration73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th Mar 2019, 12:54 pm   #7
Nymrod121
Octode

Quote:
Originally Posted by Restoration73 View Post
Perhaps this is a more appropriate forum for the disposal of these items ;
http://www.audiojumble.co.uk/SalesandWants.php

Unfortunately, the next meet is " ... scheduled for Sunday 6th October 2019" - which would seem to be well beyond the OP's preferred timescale
Nymrod121 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th Mar 2019, 7:20 pm   #8
jamesperrett
Heptode

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nymrod121 View Post
Unfortunately, the next meet is " ... scheduled for Sunday 6th October 2019" - which would seem to be well beyond the OP's preferred timescale
If you scroll down you'll see a long list of for sale and wanted ads which are separate from the Audiojumble events. The page layout fooled me for a minute though.
jamesperrett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th Mar 2019, 8:40 pm   #9
welshie
Diode

I have reacquainted myself with the tape recorders & 2 boxes of tapes & accessories & the attached photos show what are also included with the 2 Ferrograph machines & 2 boxes of used & unused tapes. The manuals also have original receipts from purchases on Tottenham Court Road in 1965 & warranty forms - obviously out of date but my father was so particular & kept all information regarding purchases.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_1946.jpg
Views:	71
Size:	106.0 KB
ID:	179509   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1947.jpg
Views:	68
Size:	83.1 KB
ID:	179510  
Old 6th Mar 2019, 9:24 pm   #10
welshie
Diode

Also I forgot to adjust my price in my latest post (above) to 400....I've been informed that any rubber parts will need to be replaced due to deterioration from not being used & their age. There is much more included here than just the two recorders!

Last edited by paulsherwin; 6th Mar 2019 at 9:56 pm. Reason: To comply with forum rules
Old 6th Mar 2019, 10:55 pm   #11
Sean Williams
Dekatron

Default Re: Ferrograph reel to reel tape machines for sale. Now only 400.

I ended up giving a pair of these away last year - no-one wanted them even for a tenner each! - Great machines, but I think you will struggle to sell them here at those prices - Sorry.
Old 6th Mar 2019, 11:20 pm   #12
m0cemdave
Heptode

I'm sorry to say this, but:

Most vintage Ferrographs sold in the UK via the internet fetch less than 100, and as Sean mentions they are often given away as unwanted.

They nearly all end up being acqured to be stripped for parts, by a company that resells the electronics as "tube mic pre's" for musicians who want something to "warm up" the sound of their digital recording kit.
m0cemdave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th Mar 2019, 1:43 pm   #13
Uncle Bulgaria
Tetrode

If you can't get rid of them but don't want them stripped for parts, I would be interested. I can't justify buying any more machines as I'm already stripping and refurbishing a Ferrograph 4A and living in a building site. However, I'd hate to see them get dumped or eviscerated. I'd probably also listen to the recordings as I do attend a dance class which is mainly big-band swing!
Uncle Bulgaria is online now   Reply With Quote