UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Radio (domestic)

Notices

Vintage Radio (domestic) Domestic vintage radio (wireless) receivers only.

Closed Thread

Old 11th Sep 2018, 9:30 am   #1
Havoc99
Retired Dormant Member

Default Can I use a shaver plug and socket ???

Hi there all.

I have this old radio, think it must be from the USA as the voltage etc is different to the UK.
I would like to be able to use it in the UK

Can I just put a UK shaver plug (2 pin) on the end of the lead from the radio and plug it into a shaver socket, then into the wall ?

Attached image of spec of radio.

Any help and advice is much appreciated.

Thanks
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20180910_130248.jpg
Views:	392
Size:	140.5 KB
ID:	169091   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20180910_130409.jpg
Views:	377
Size:	136.3 KB
ID:	169092  

Last edited by Station X; 11th Sep 2018 at 9:42 am. Reason: Linked images converted to thumbnails.
Old 11th Sep 2018, 9:57 am   #2
Boater Sam
Banned

Location: Middlewich, Cheshire, UK. & Winter in the Philippines.
Default Re: Can I use a shaver plug and socket ???

As you know it is a different voltage, 120v rather than 240v I assumed that you have a 120v outlet on your razor socket as well as 240v.
Short answer is no, a razor socket is designed for very low current use only.
The way to do it is to use a proper step down transformer. An on site tool transformer ( yellow one ) will do but they are a bit rough and cumbersome.
I have in the past used light bulbs wired in series with the set but its very hit and miss whether you get the correct voltage, not recommended unless you know what you are doing with a multimeter and experience, Sorry, don't know your skill level.
Old 11th Sep 2018, 10:01 am   #3
TrevorG3VLF
Rest in Peace

The photos are good but I cannot see any voltage/power specification.

The voltage must be compatable.
You must not overload the shaver supply.
The frequency in the US is 60Hz, in the UK it is 50Hz. This usually does not cause a problem but it may.

You could use a 'wall wart' to provide the low voltage power the radio needs and by-pass the internal US power supply. This is easy if there is an alternative battery supply but I do not see the capability here.

Addition
There may be a dual primary input transformer which can be wired for 240V or 120V.

Last edited by TrevorG3VLF; 11th Sep 2018 at 10:08 am.
Old 11th Sep 2018, 10:13 am   #4
emeritus
Dekatron

Dual-voltage shaver sockets are designed to only supply a very limited current. They are fine for shavers and electric toothbrush chargers, but I suspect a radio would try to draw too much current. I did once try powering a small ex-equipment 120V fan from a shaver socket, and the over-current protection kicked in.
Old 11th Sep 2018, 10:23 am   #5
paulsherwin

This appears to be a mains powered transistor radio. If so, it's unlikely to overload the 120V output from a shaver socket. A valve radio would certainly overload it though.

To reiterate what others have said, you can only use this radio with a dedicated shaver socket with a 120V American socket. These are normally only found in bathrooms. You can't use it with a shaver adaptor plugged into a standard UK mains socket, as this does nothing to change the UK voltage.
Old 11th Sep 2018, 10:29 am   #6
Paul_RK
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrevorG3VLF View Post
The photos are good but I cannot see any voltage/power specification.
It's there on the back, just small and indistinct against the fibreboard: AC 50-60(?) c/s, 110-120V, 7(?)W.

Paul
Old 11th Sep 2018, 10:49 am   #7
McMurdo
Dekatron

it says 'shavers only' for a reason. Inside a 240/120V shaver socket is an isolating transformer to make it safer to use in a bathroom. These are typically rated at 20VA.

As an example, I've just measured a small Bush DAC90A on 230V and it's taking 32W

PS I just noticed your radio is one of those modern transistor jobbies, might be ok!
Old 11th Sep 2018, 10:59 am   #8
Station X

The power consumption (Wattage) should be written on the back panel somewhere, but it's indistinct. A better picture of the writing is needed.

Reach for your meter before you reach for your soldering iron.
Old 11th Sep 2018, 11:04 am   #9
Hartley118
Nonode

I can't make out from your picture whether your radio is rated to draw 7 watts or 1 watt. Either would be plausible given its description as a 7-transistor set.

As Kevin says, most shaver sockets are rated at 20 watts, so it should be OK plugged into a shaver socket switched to 120V. You'd be limited to playing it in or near the bathroom though!

The important message is that a simple 'shaver adaptor' that would allow it to plug in to a 13A socket only changes the plug pins, not the voltage - you still get 240V out of those 2-pins. You need a transformer to step down that 240V to 120V, and one way is a bathroom shaver socket. Alternatively, plug-in transformers are readily available at low cost. Here's one: https://www.amazon.co.uk/Stepdown-vo...0v+transformer

Martin
Old 11th Sep 2018, 11:20 am   #10
Havoc99
Retired Dormant Member

Cheers for help and fast replies guys, gives me plenty to think about.
Will try and update a couple of better images later...... Work calls........
Old 11th Sep 2018, 11:20 am   #11
Sideband
Dekatron

...and remember that a shaver socket is only designed for intermittent use. Running a radio for several hours (in a bathroom)?? may overheat the small isolating transformer.
Old 11th Sep 2018, 11:35 am   #12
turretslug
Dekatron

I agree with Martin's (Hartley118) suggestion of the small step-down transformer linked to- that would let the radio be used wherever there was a standard 13A outlet, it would also mean that the original US-style flat-pin plug could be left on the mains lead- that would be less likely to be inadvertently plugged into a 230V outlet, whether wall-socket or plug-in shaver adapter, by the unaware. It's possible for a shaver-type plug to be inserted into a 13A outlet by the only slightly devious, but not a US mains plug!,

Colin
Old 11th Sep 2018, 3:17 pm   #13
dave walsh
Dekatron

Location: Ramsbottom (Nr Bury) Lancs or Bexhill (Nr Hastings) Sussex.

Of course there is a reason for no standard 13 amp sockets in a bathroom ie that mains equipment and water don't mix so the radio really shouldn't be in there in the first place. People used to balance electric fires on the edge of the bath in the old days with predictable results

The modern equivalent is the American chap who couldn't do without his cell phone while he had a bath or wait until it had charged up. He took the trouble to run an extension lead into the bathroom, plug in the mains adaptor and the the phone into that. He might have got away with it if he hadn't decided to make himself more comfortable by balancing the end of the extension lead and adaptor on his chest. Predictably it fell into the water and that was the end of his mobile phone addiction.

The OP seems to be looking for a cheaper/simpler 120v supply. He can try any of the suggested solutions but preferably not in the bathroom and definetly not while bathing.

Dave W

Last edited by dave walsh; 11th Sep 2018 at 3:26 pm.
Old 11th Sep 2018, 3:26 pm   #14
Paul Stenning
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by turretslug View Post
I agree with Martin's (Hartley118) suggestion of the small step-down transformer linked to- that would let the radio be used wherever there was a standard 13A outlet, it would also mean that the original US-style flat-pin plug could be left on the mains lead- that would be less likely to be inadvertently plugged into a 230V outlet, whether wall-socket or plug-in shaver adapter, by the unaware.
I agree, that is the best solution and at just £8 is a low cost solution too.

Paul Stenning
Forum Admin/Owner and BVWS Webmaster
Old 11th Sep 2018, 3:43 pm   #15
Orakle42
Pentode

If you google Panasonic RE-6137 you will find a wealth of information including a Spec which states "7 watts consumption" @ 110-120v. There are also photo's of the inside which appear to show a 3ohm speaker with what looks like an output transformer marked .77W. No other transformers are visible.
Circuits also appear to be available

Orakle42
Old 11th Sep 2018, 4:20 pm   #16
Nickthedentist
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orakle42 View Post
There are also photo's of the inside which appear to show a 3ohm speaker with what looks like an output transformer marked .77W. No other transformers are visible.
I noticed that. Unless the mains step-down transformer is mounted on the speaker chassis? There is also talk of a mains aerial.

Does anyone have a circuit diagram for this? My initial instinct would have been to disconnect the internal power supply, and run the set with a modern "wall-wart" DC power supply designed to plug straight into a 230V 13A UK wall socket.
Old 11th Sep 2018, 4:45 pm   #17
Scott37
Tetrode

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sideband View Post
...and remember that a shaver socket is only designed for intermittent use. Running a radio for several hours (in a bathroom)?? may overheat the small isolating transformer.
Could the proximity of the isolating transformer create mains hum, given there would be no reason to design this out if the socket is only to be used for shavers (and toothbrushes)?
Old 11th Sep 2018, 4:49 pm   #18
Scott37
Tetrode

Quote:
Originally Posted by dave walsh View Post
Of course there is a reason for no standard 13 amp sockets in a bathroom ie that mains equipment and water don't mix so the radio really shouldn't be in there in the first place. People used to balance electric fires on the edge of the bath in the old days with predictable results

The modern equivalent is the American chap who couldn't do without his cell phone while he had a bath or wait until it had charged up. He took the trouble to run an extension lead into the bathroom, plug in the mains adaptor and the the phone into that. He might have got away with it if he hadn't decided to make himself more comfortable by balancing the end of the extension lead and adaptor on his chest. Predictably it fell into the water and that was the end of his mobile phone addiction.

The OP seems to be looking for a cheaper/simpler 120v supply. He can try any of the suggested solutions but preferably not in the bathroom and definetly not while bathing.

Dave W
Surely this was covered in the instructions? I bought a camera once, with a disc containing software to upload photos to the computer. The warning said not to place the disc in an audio device then listen at high volume using headphones as this might damage your hearing.
Old 11th Sep 2018, 4:55 pm   #19
Tim
Dekatron

It's a transistor set so I would look at converting it to run on batteries, or has already been suggested a "wall wart" type of power supply.
Old 11th Sep 2018, 5:06 pm   #20
David G4EBT
Dekatron

One of these would seem to fit the bill nicely, neatly and cheaply:

https://www.yourspares.co.uk/parts/y..._content=88777
Closed Thread