UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Audio (record players, hi-fi etc)

Notices

Vintage Audio (record players, hi-fi etc) Amplifiers, speakers, gramophones and other audio equipment.

Closed Thread

Old 16th Jan 2012, 2:09 pm   #1
el_gordo
Retired Dormant Member

Default Dansette Bermuda Mk1 outputs and connectors help

Hi,

I have a recently acquired a fully-refurbished Dansette Bermuda Mk1, with a BSR Monarch multi-stack, multi-change deck. I would like to connect this to modern external speakers/amp so that I can play records but protect the internal speaker and player itself as much as possible.

The outputs on the back are "Stereo", "L.S" (Loudspeaker) and "Tape". I am not sure what type of connector these require but they look a little like a modern phono ports. I'm no expert I'm afraid.....

The original instructions say the "tape" socket is to be used for PA systems and when connected this disables the volume and tone controls on the player (and I assume doesn't output to the internal speaker). This seems to be the best way forward.

So, what connectors do I need? Can this be done? What type of equipment should these outputs be connected to? Any danger to the internal circuits?
Any an all advice welcome.
Old 16th Jan 2012, 5:27 pm   #2
ukcol
Rest in Peace

Default Re: Dansette Bermuda Mk1 outputs and connectors help

Hi

A circuit is available to download here for £1.95:

http://www.service-data.com/section.php/3/1

There are a number of dassette record player amplifier circuits shown. The one you want is the TYPE MC/1961/

The arrangement for the socket wiring and switching for the Bermuda is clearly shown.

I hope this helps you.

Coiln M
Old 16th Jan 2012, 8:37 pm   #3
david freeman
Hexode

Default Re: Dansette Bermuda Mk1 outputs and connectors help

Hi
The Tape socket on the Bermuda will allow you to connect it to an external amplifier and speaker system. The internal amp and speaker on the Bermuda will be muted and the volume and tone controls will have no effect, as the output from the Tape socket is at a fixed level.
This will enable all volume and tone adjustments to be made on the external amplifier.
The sockets used are phono sockets but are an older design which usually need a phono plug having a longer central pin. You may find that a more modern phono plug does not make an adequate connection to the socket, but it is a case of try one and see.
There will be no danger to the internals of the Bermuda as basically all you will be using will be the BSR changer and cartridge.
You will need an external amp with an input for crystal or ceramic cartridges, not the magnetic cartridge input found on most hifi amps. You could also use a Tape input.

Last edited by david freeman; 16th Jan 2012 at 8:44 pm. Reason: additional information
Old 16th Jan 2012, 11:32 pm   #4
Tractorfan
Dekatron

Location: St. Frajou, l'Isle en Dodon, Haute Garonne, France.(Previously: Ellesmere Port, Cheshire, UK.)
Smile Re: Dansette Bermuda Mk1 outputs and connectors help

Hi,
Excuse me if I'm missing something here, but why do you feel the need to "protect" the speaker and the player? The speaker, amp, and deck were all designed to work together so, personally speaking, I can't see what the problem is.
Cheers, Pete