UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Radio (domestic)

Notices

Vintage Radio (domestic) Domestic vintage radio (wireless) receivers only.

Closed Thread

Old 24th May 2018, 11:35 am   #1
Hybrid tellies
Nonode

Location: 1966-1976 Coverack in Cornwall and Helston Cornwall. 1976-present Bristol/Bath area.
Default Suitable adhesives

I am currently tackling three repair jobs, Binatone Mustang, Internet 10 and something calling itself a Shira HiFi, all cheap and cheerful Hong Kong specials dating from the late 1960's to very early 1970's. They have all been got at with RF and IF alignment well out and the speaker on one needs replacing.

I am just after some advice as the best type of glue to use for mounting the loudspeaker to the plastic cabinet. I guess it would be a softer type of glue rather than a hardish glue such as super glue.

For resealing the IF coils is melted candle wax the best or is there a suitable alternative.

On the Shira HiFi portable the aerial coils on the ferrit have been tampered with then stuck down with a waxy substance that I am going to have to remove. Again is melted candle wax the best to resecure the aerial coils to the ferrit rod or is there something more suitable.

I am very cautious with anything concerning glues as I have not had the best experience with any adhesives.

I apologise if this is in the wrong thread.
Old 24th May 2018, 11:51 am   #2
Ambientnoise
Heptode

Default Re: Suitable adhesives

If you need something to "weld" the plastic case (to repair mounting lugs for example), use Plastic Weld or try polystyrene cement. Otherwise, if you need to actually bond the rim or face of the speaker to the case, I suggest contact adhesive such as evostik. Should be strong enough with a reasonable surface area. Clean and roughen the mating surfaces.

Ken
Old 24th May 2018, 11:55 am   #3
paulsherwin

Agreed, contact adhesive of the Bostik/Evo-stik type is your best bet. It makes a reasonably strong gap filling bond which can be broken if necessary.

Some of these early 70s HK multiband sets can be surprisingly good performers, though I've found they can be difficult to dismantle.
Old 24th May 2018, 12:46 pm   #4
cheerfulcharlie
Heptode

New kid on the block is Sugru if you want something with a bit of flex

https://sugru.com/
Old 24th May 2018, 1:23 pm   #5
Tractionist
Heptode

I've found that a hot glue gun is usually quite sufficient for mounting speakers to plastic sub-striates .... it doesn't melt the plastic, and is removable with careful use of a craft knife.

Paraffin [candle] wax doesn't conduct ..... but a far more pleasant [and original] alternative is bees wax ..............
Old 24th May 2018, 2:10 pm   #6
emeritus
Dekatron

Some 50 years ago I used some of the Evostik dad had left over from sticking some Formica to reglue the spine of a paperback, and it is still secure and flexible. I just hope they don't go changing the formula.
Old 24th May 2018, 3:43 pm   #7
Bazz4CQJ
Dekatron

I just recently bought a 250ml tin of Evostik and I have been wondering whether it is as good as it used to be. If I needed some more, I think I'd spend some time on Google to see if there are any other strong contenders for an effective contact adhesive.

B
Old 24th May 2018, 4:00 pm   #8
Hybrid tellies
Nonode

Location: 1966-1976 Coverack in Cornwall and Helston Cornwall. 1976-present Bristol/Bath area.

Thanks for your suggestions. Some of the remaining glue holding the speaker feels more like rubber than normal glue which is what you need for holding a speaker in place.
So I will go with Evostick or Sugru and for resealing the IF coils and for securing the ferrit rod aerial coils I will buy some beeswax.

Many thanks
Old 24th May 2018, 6:44 pm   #9
Refugee
Dekatron

I once bought a tin of Thixofix.
It was like Evostick gel. It had better filling ability as it did not run.
Old 24th May 2018, 7:46 pm   #10
paulsherwin

I've found nail varnish to be good for locking cores and trimmers, but I usually leave cores unlocked as they're very unlikely to unscrew of their own accord.

I lock ferrite rod coils with a bit of cardboard.
Old 25th May 2018, 12:39 am   #11
Refugee
Dekatron

Ferrite rods usually have the coils fixed with soft wax in my experience.
Closed Thread