UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Television Standards Converters, Modulators etc

Notices

Television Standards Converters, Modulators etc Standards converters, modulators anything else for providing signals to vintage televisions.

Closed Thread

Old 26th Oct 2014, 6:36 pm   #1
wd40addict
Octode

Default HDMI Aurora

As Analogue outputs start to disappear from domestic HD TV equipment in time it's going to become difficult to feed an Aurora (and therefore a vintage TV) from any modern sources having only HDMI outputs. Therefore I recently purchased the eSynic 1080P HDMI Digital Signal to AV Composite converter.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/eSynic-Digit...pr_product_top

Which takes in HDMI, downscales it as necessary and outputs 576i (625 line PAL) Analogue.

As a side function it also seems to convert 60Hz frame rates to 50Hz allowing playback of US DVDs on the basic Aurora. However the motion is a little jerky when doing this.

Source may still need a 4:3 setting in its menu to avoid wrong aspect ratio. One of my devices needed this set, another gave the correct result even when set to 16:9! I guess it also won't be long before the 4:3 display setting disappears from menus as well.

Audio is quieter than with a standard source and the Aurora audio gain pot may need to be increased.

I don't know if it will ever be possible to build a proper HDMI in, 405 out Aurora as HDMI is a bit of an exclusive club with high entry costs. But this is a useful halfway house, it also allows 'vintage' 625 set to be driven from HDMI sources.

Regards,

Paul
Old 26th Oct 2014, 7:30 pm   #2
Lloyd 1985
Nonode

Default Re: HDMI Aurora

That looks quite a handy device, I wonder what my TV22 will make of a Sony PS3?!

Regards,
Lloyd.
Old 26th Oct 2014, 8:06 pm   #3
marconi_pete
Hexode

That would certainly be a handy device to have around the workshop. Thanks for the tip.

Thanks,
Peter
Old 28th Oct 2014, 12:14 am   #4
Brigham
Octode

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lloyd 1985 View Post
That looks quite a handy device, I wonder what my TV22 will make of a Sony PS3?!
PS3 games are hard to play in B&W. The greyscale hasn't been taken into consideration, and nearby objects blend into one another, rendering gameplay difficult.
Old 28th Oct 2014, 9:03 am   #5
Dave Moll
Dekatron

Thanks for that link. Given that my separate digibox has recently died, that would be very useful if it allows me to use the HDMI output of my digital television to feed into my (analogue) DVD recorder and to rebroadcast a digitally received broadcast to the analogue "slave" TVs around my house. Worth investing £20 in, anyway.
Old 28th Oct 2014, 9:06 am   #6
mark pirate
Dekatron

Quote:
As Analogue outputs start to disappear from domestic HD TV equipment in time it's going to become difficult to feed an Aurora (and therefore a vintage TV) from any modern sources having only HDMI outputs.
I suspect that all analogue outputs will disappear soon, so a device to convert HDMI to 625 will become a must have addition.

I have recently upgraded my PVR to an HD Youview box, luckily it still has a Scart socket for analogue output.
I have a couple of PVR's dedicated to my vintage TV collection, these have many classic programmes and films on them, and of course will give live freeview output.
I wonder how long it will be until standard definition freeview is phased out?

Mark
Old 28th Oct 2014, 7:29 pm   #7
Brigham
Octode

Slightly O/T. I have a situation where the video signal goes through an Aurora, but the sound is direct. Naturally, the sound arrives early. Is there a (reasonably priced) in-line device to delay the sound?
I suppose I could make something from a discarded cassette recorder.
Old 29th Oct 2014, 9:23 am   #8
arjoll
Dekatron

Something like this? That one is around NZ$80 incl GST, but there'll be something similar available closer to you.
Old 29th Oct 2014, 1:17 pm   #9
Dave Moll
Dekatron

A quick Google of "lip sync corrector" came up with various offerings in the UK priced between about £52 and £70.
Old 29th Oct 2014, 2:24 pm   #10
Brigham
Octode

Thanks, that looks like the answer. I knew I should've kept my Copycat.
Old 29th Oct 2014, 10:09 pm   #11
ntscuser
Hexode

Quote:
Originally Posted by mark pirate View Post
I wonder how long it will be until standard definition freeview is phased out?
Many years I suspect as many so-called "full HD" TV sets are still being sold with SD Freeview receivers built-in.

Also even if people buy a HD capable receiver for their main living area they are still likely to have SD receivers in other rooms.
Old 8th Nov 2014, 11:59 pm   #12
Brigham
Octode

Lip-Sync corrector arrived today. Instant cure for all ills; thanks again.
Old 9th Nov 2014, 11:56 am   #13
winston_1
Hexode

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Moll View Post
Thanks for that link. Given that my separate digibox has recently died, that would be very useful if it allows me to use the HDMI output of my digital television to feed into my (analogue) DVD recorder and to rebroadcast a digitally received broadcast to the analogue "slave" TVs around my house. Worth investing £20 in, anyway.
Are you sure your TV has HDMI out? All the HDMI connectors I've ever seen on TVs are inputs.
Old 17th Nov 2014, 11:13 am   #14
arjoll
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by winston_1 View Post
Are you sure your TV has HDMI out? All the HDMI connectors I've ever seen on TVs are inputs.
Audio Return Channel (ARC) outputs audio. It's a bi-directional link.
Old 17th Nov 2014, 10:26 pm   #15
music-centre
Heptode

Hi,
I noticed that Film 4+1 on Freeview has a message saying it wont be available after the end of this month on SD boxes but will still be available on HD boxes ( in standard definition!) so possibly we may need a converter device such as this not too far in the future if other channels do the same?
Old 26th Dec 2014, 4:11 pm   #16
Okto1984
Retired Dormant Member

I have an HDMI to scart box (ViewHD branded). It outputs composite 576i 50hz, as well as left and right audio. Unfortunately no RGB however, and I haven't found any which do that yet. Until RGB ones are available, the highest quality picture won't be available - and it's difficult to say how much of the loss of definition is down to the HDMI to analogue conversion, or just from the composite signal itself. Still, it's a functional device that does a lot and mostly does it well. The picture and sound are in sync, colours are good, and generally the picture is ok. Text and fine lines suffer a bit however.

You can supply it with various resolutions from devices, but where possible, 720p is better than 1080p I think. Thin horizontal lines can flicker on the higher resolution.

I'm pleased enough with it for the price, but I do know HD to analogue can be done with excellent results. My Humax YouView box downscales all the HD freeview channels and on demand content to PAL, RGB scart output, and it looks great on my set. Based on this, I expect the next generation of HDMI to analogue converters may be better.

Last edited by Okto1984; 26th Dec 2014 at 4:16 pm.
Closed Thread