UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Audio (record players, hi-fi etc)

Notices

Vintage Audio (record players, hi-fi etc) Amplifiers, speakers, gramophones and other audio equipment.

Closed Thread

Old 19th May 2018, 4:23 pm   #1
CornishJ
Retired Dormant Member

Default A little help please! Garrard 40B. Dynatron HFC34.

Hi all, I recently got myself a Garrard 40B in a lovely walnut case. However it has no stylus or cartridge, from the research I’ve done I can see I may need a C2 cartridge? My problem is I’m very new to this and don’t know what I need to get? There is nothing on the arm currently. Could anyone point me in the direction of a cartridge and stylus to buy please. Thanks in advance!
Old 20th May 2018, 12:49 am   #2
Techman
Dekatron

Default Re: A little help please! Garrard 40B

(I think this should really be in the vintage audio section)

Hello and welcome.

Your question is not one that can be answered without knowing what amplifier you intend to run your 40B record changer into with regards to its input impedance and sensitivity, as there many different cartridge types with different outputs etc.

The C2 isn't a cartridge, but is the slide in carrier that the cartridge is attached to. If this part is missing then you've got a problem, as it's a long obsolete part, so no longer available new. They do come up second hand, but tend to be snapped up pretty quickly. The Stylus Lady (on-line dealer) has them listed, but all seem to be out of stock. You may be lucky and find that a member of this forum could sell you one - a post in the wanted section would be required for this.

So to sum up: A bit more information is required from your good self before any more meaningful advice can be given.
Old 20th May 2018, 7:59 am   #3
CornishJ
Retired Dormant Member

Hi, Thank you very much for replying. I’m unsure about what amplifier it’s going into as it’s set into a Dynatron radiogram. When looking at the arm there is nothing attached to the end, just looks like something can slide and clip in (again I’m sorry for being useless, new to the whole thing).
Old 20th May 2018, 10:18 am   #4
Station X

A picture of the underside of the cartridge end of the arm would help.

Reach for your meter before you reach for your soldering iron.
Old 20th May 2018, 10:35 am   #5
Audio1950
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by CornishJ View Post
Hi, Thank you very much for replying. I’m unsure about what amplifier it’s going into as it’s set into a Dynatron radiogram. When looking at the arm there is nothing attached to the end, just looks like something can slide and clip in (again I’m sorry for being useless, new to the whole thing).
No need to apologise, we were all new to it once!

The thing that can slide in is the C2 cartridge carrier, as mentioned in the previous reply. Look out for one of these now, as they are getting scarce and expensive. Once you have it, you can get the cartridge at any time. If you are fitting this to a Dynatron radiogram, let us know what the model is, (it will be on the back) and we can then find out which cartridge was fitted originally, and advise as to a good replacement.
Old 20th May 2018, 10:59 am   #6
RojDW48
Nonode

Is that the same slide in mount as fitted to the SP25? I have an over supply of those and I might be able to identify one completely useless one and pass on the mount from it.
Old 20th May 2018, 12:10 pm   #7
Techman
Dekatron

Yes, it's the same as the SP25, Roger.

Now you've said it's fitted in a Dynatron radiogram it's made things a whole lot clearer.

Dynatrons fitted with the Garrard 40B autoghanger were generally fitted with the Goldring G850 magnetic cartridge, but don't take this as gospel just yet until you've confirmed the EXACT model number of the radiogram.
Old 20th May 2018, 2:10 pm   #8
RojDW48
Nonode

Sadly - no luck. In fact all I have been able to establish is that I am short of one of those mounts as well! Sorry about that.
Old 24th May 2018, 7:52 am   #9
CornishJ
Retired Dormant Member

Thanks so much for all your replies, here is a picture...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	056DBD6D-DA66-4211-BC6C-57FFCC3220E3.jpg
Views:	173
Size:	33.3 KB
ID:	163456  
Old 25th May 2018, 6:37 pm   #10
D_S_J_R
Heptode

I seem to recall music centres or radiograms of the time (Dynatron?) fitted Goldring G850's to these decks typically, which tracked at around 2.5g I remember. These days and if the deck is serviced with due attention to the trip pawls on the cam especially, the arm should happily track the likes of an AT91 at around 2g I think (assuming a magnetic cartridge can be used) and this will sound rather clearer than the old foggy Goldring. Otherwise if you need a ceramic type, if you can find one, a better grade ceramic type such as a BSR SC11M/12M/Acos GP96 or 104 or Sonotone/Garrard KS41C/3559 will work quite well I think.

Dave
Old 25th May 2018, 6:54 pm   #11
Techman
Dekatron

Looks like it needs a C2 slide in carrier. We'd need to be 100% sure that the original cartridge was the Goldring G850 (you need to provide that model number - it'll be on the back), although I'd be pretty sure it was. As original, it should also have a cast alloy spacer between the cartridge and the carrier, so that's another part that's missing - I'll try to find a photo of what it should look like later.

The G850 was a heck of a lot better than the more expensive G800. Now that really was a foggy old cartridge!
Old 26th May 2018, 10:36 am   #12
Chiltern
Heptode

Here is a 40B, fitted with an 850 cartridge, unit ex Dynatron.

Alan
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	ASIDSCN6930.jpg
Views:	156
Size:	72.4 KB
ID:	163532  
Old 26th May 2018, 10:58 am   #13
Techman
Dekatron

That's the very one, Alan.

You can see that spacer between the cartridge and the carrier. I would think that you could get away without using the special spacer and shorter screws. The body of the cartridge wouldn't be so well supported, as it would be pivoting on the two plastic stubs of the screw holes, but should be held firmly enough by the tightness of the correct screws to still function correctly. The tracking weight would have to be re-adjusted using a proper stylus balance to take into account the lack of the spacer. I seem to remember that the C2 carrier originally came complete with the spacer and various lengths of screws, however, most second hand ones have all these bits missing.
Old 26th May 2018, 2:11 pm   #14
Edward Huggins
Dekatron

Sorry for this late stage intrusion, but I would be far happier if we knew the Dynatron's exact model number (not yet revealed) as per Techman's request in Post #7.

We could then be 100% sure that a MM cartridge will be needed. If so, we can find out what type of MM. There was just so much cost-cutting at the end.
Old 26th May 2018, 5:24 pm   #15
CornishJ
Retired Dormant Member

Thanks again everyone, I’ve learnt so much already!

Model number is... HFC34 sorry for the late reply.

I’ve just bought a C2 headshell with a Pickering cartridge mount (in pic) can I fit any cartridge to this?

Thanks again for all the help
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	FC38F009-A859-4EF7-97EA-E7E7B4CFE35C.jpg
Views:	123
Size:	47.2 KB
ID:	163558  
Old 26th May 2018, 8:59 pm   #16
ben
Dekatron

Default Re: A little help please! Garrard 40B. Dynatron HFC34.

That looks like a c2 with a bespoke mount for one specific cartridge, not a wise purchase if you do not have the exact cartridge! The universal one you need is with screw holes
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	c2.jpg
Views:	110
Size:	6.3 KB
ID:	163587  
Old 27th May 2018, 8:03 am   #17
CornishJ
Retired Dormant Member

Ahh I see, I jumped at the chance to grab it as I have not been able to find one anywhere let alone one with screw holes as in your picture! I’m sure I can bodge it though right? Won’t take a lot to put my own screw holes in if necessary? I’ll still keep an eye out.
Old 27th May 2018, 12:55 pm   #18
Techman
Dekatron

I see where you bought that from and I've posted the other picture that you should have also posted of the top side which shows screw holes, so I think you may be lucky (first picture below). It's coming from Russia, so you'll be waiting a week or two, possibly, for delivery.

You can't fit 'any' cartridge. It will have to be one of the same 'type' as the original. Having now seen the model number of your Dynatron, I don't now think that the original was a Goldring G850, but possibly a Goldring G800 or even something like a Shure M75 or similar. These are all magnetic type cartridges and are all electrically compatible with each other, so any of them could be used with just adjustment of the arm tracking weight being necessary. In a previous post, someone also advised about the AT91 which is still available new and will be compatible with all of the above mentioned.

I would hold off from buying a cartridge for the moment to wait to see if any other members can confirm for sure that the original cartridge is definitely as I've stated above, although I'm pretty confident that I'm correct - I'll wait for opinions from others.

I've posted some other pictures of the metal spacer that you should really use, but as I stated in a previous post, you may well get away without using it - note the 'groove' in one side of the spacer which coincides with the 'ridge' in the carrier. The last two pictures show a Goldring G850 fitted to a Garrard C2 carrier complete with the spacer - this unit was originally fitted to a Garrard 40B in a Dynatron radiogram, but not exactly the same model as yours.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	s-l1600.jpg
Views:	135
Size:	86.8 KB
ID:	163624   Click image for larger version

Name:	P1110456.JPG
Views:	97
Size:	171.8 KB
ID:	163625   Click image for larger version

Name:	P1110457.JPG
Views:	79
Size:	169.6 KB
ID:	163626   Click image for larger version

Name:	P1110452.JPG
Views:	112
Size:	170.1 KB
ID:	163627   Click image for larger version

Name:	P1110455.JPG
Views:	91
Size:	175.0 KB
ID:	163628  

Old 27th May 2018, 1:43 pm   #19
Edward Huggins
Dekatron

If you are not quite sure what to do next, I would suggest you buy an Audio Technica AT91 and use its mount as a template for the screw holes (standard 1/2" centres) you need to drill into your non-standard carrier. It should be carefully centred on the carrier and ideally the front face of the cartridge should sit just behind the front of the carrier. Ideally an alignment template should be used. If you were thinking of using an modern day equivalent of the Goldring 800 or 850 you might get a bit of a shock at their price!
Old 27th May 2018, 3:27 pm   #20
Techman
Dekatron

Hi Edward, I don't think the OP needs to do any of that. If you look very closely at the picture I posted from the seller's advert above, you'll see that it looks like the top side threaded screw holes have been countersunk to allow the screws to go in from the top and for the heads to be completely flush with the surface, or at least slightly below it. The thing that has to be hoped for is that the person that did the 'modification', didn't run a drill all the way down through each hole and strip all the threads out.
Closed Thread