UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > General Vintage Technology Discussions

Notices

General Vintage Technology Discussions For general discussions about vintage radio and other vintage electronics etc.

Closed Thread

Old 22nd Jul 2017, 4:25 pm   #1
Graham G3ZVT
Dekatron

Default Novelty gramophone records.

The discussion in "the Kings Speech" thread about recording techniques reminded me of a couple of novelty records I owned.

The first was more novel than novelty, a The Look "I Am the Beat" 7in 45RPM
The novel aspect was the end was cleverly timed and recorded into the run-out groove so it never ended. DJs loved it.

The other was a comedy record 12 inch LP. One side had a pair of concentric spiral grooves so it carried two entirely different programmes and it was a toss-up which one you heard.

I wonder how difficult it must have been to set up the recording lathe to do that?

I know that latter technique was used with miniature disks in talking dolls' sound-boxes, before electronic alternatives were available.

Graham.
G3ZVT

Last edited by Graham G3ZVT; 22nd Jul 2017 at 4:37 pm.
Old 22nd Jul 2017, 5:30 pm   #2
af024
Octode

Default Re: Novelty gramophone records.

Not nearly as clever, but there was "They're Coming To Take Me Away, Ha-Haaa!"
Napoleon XIV which was recorded backwards on the flip side.

One of these:-
Chris Hill - "Renta Santa" and "Bionic Santa" (I forget which) ended up on the run-out and locked groove, something like, 'oy, you broke my record player .. player .. player ..'

Andy
Old 22nd Jul 2017, 6:03 pm   #3
llama
Octode

A friend of mine had a record with either 4 or 6 (can't remember which) start points - each had a different horse race commentary on it allowing a "random" selection for betting on. I think he used it for a game on local community radio.

Anyone know what the "annie-opel-vice" run out at the end of Sgt Pepper's is?
Graham
Old 22nd Jul 2017, 7:37 pm   #4
Dave Moll
Dekatron

Then, of course, there's the famous Monty Python's Matching Tie and Handkerchief with interleaved second sides - only two on that one, so not quite as many possibilities as the one mentioned above.

I shall have to dig out my Sergeant Pepper and listen out for "Annie-opel-vice". Wasn't there also a reversed recording on a Beatles album (Abbey Road?) with John Lennon saying "I'm very bored"? It raised conspiracy theories about the death of Mr McCartney because some people thought it said "I buried Paul", combined with Paul being depicted barefoot on the zebra crossing!
Old 23rd Jul 2017, 2:30 pm   #5
Tractorfan
Dekatron

Location: St. Frajou, l'Isle en Dodon, Haute Garonne, France.(Previously: Ellesmere Port, Cheshire, UK.)
Smile Re: Novelty gramophone records.

Hi,
I think that 'Annie-opel-vice', when played backwards, comes out as: "I'm a f knaered superman". That's how it sounds to me.
Apologies for the swearies.
I bought 'Monty Python's Matching Tie and Handkerchief' LP when a spotty youth, and was puzzled at first as to why side two only ran for just over ten minutes. The next time I played it I got a completely different recording, which confused me even further, until the penny finally dropped.
Cheers, Pete.
Old 23rd Jul 2017, 5:27 pm   #6
Dave Moll
Dekatron

Fortunately, I knew about the two "B" sides before I bought the LP - in fact, that was why I bought it.
Old 23rd Jul 2017, 6:43 pm   #7
Top Cap
Octode

Craziest LP I have bought is JACK WHITE - Lazaretto (12" Vinyl)

- 2 vinyl-only hidden tracks hidden beneath the center labels
- 1 hidden track plays at 78 RPM, one plays at 45 RPM, making this a 3-speed record
- Side A plays from the inside out
- Dual-groove technology: plays an electric or acoustic intro for “Just One Drink” depending on where needle is dropped.
- The grooves meet for the body of the song.
- Matte finish on Side B, giving the appearance of an un-played 78 RPM record
- Both sides end with locked grooves
- Vinyl pressed in seldom-used flat-edged format
- Dead wax area on Side A contains a hand-etched hologram by Tristan Duke of
Infinity Light Science, the first of its kind on a vinyl record
- Absolutely zero compression used during recording, mixing and mastering