UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > Cabinet and Chassis Restoration and Refinishing

Notices

Cabinet and Chassis Restoration and Refinishing For help with cabinet or chassis restoration (non-electrical), please leave a message here.

Closed Thread

Old 23rd Apr 2017, 9:32 pm   #1
Ryan_1993
Hexode

Default Bush TV24 A Chassis Disassembly

Hi guys,

I managed to find a 1953 Bush TV24A for sale locally (this type of thing never happens) for me. I have never ever seen a vintage TV for sale in my town ever so I had to have it LOL.

Basically it is my intention to just use it as a display piece and not actually get it work (at least not yet). I would love to know the correct way in removing the chassis from the wooden cabinet of the TV so I can clean it out and also clean up the front of the CRT and the grey border around the edge of the screen.

Also how do I remove the knobs off the front I din't want to break them off. Can the front glass be removed from the front of the cabinet? Removing that will help when I come to staining and varnishing the veneer thats all.

Also does anyone know what veneer wood type this cabinet is? I am thinking of going a really, really dark American Walnut stain and then covering with clear varnish. I think the set will have great potential when it the cabinet is tidied up.

PS does anyone know any kind of suitable mouldable hardening putty to fill in the little chip at the front? something dark brown preferably.

Cheers

Ryan
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Photo 23-04-2017, 9 01 39 pm.jpg
Views:	239
Size:	56.6 KB
ID:	141430  

Last edited by Ryan_1993; 23rd Apr 2017 at 9:49 pm.
Old 24th Apr 2017, 9:55 am   #2
Oliver35
Pentode

Default Re: Bush TV24 A Chassis Disassembly

I seem to recall the knobs on this set being in pairs on little steel brackets, one on each side. There should be a couple of screws accessible from underneath to get these out, and then presumably the knobs are grub-screwed onto the shafts in the usual way.

FWIW I wouldn't stain the cabinet- It's pretty irreversible, and I don't think it was used by manufacturers anyway. I used a toned lacquer on my TV, with several clear coats on top. Sprayed cellulose is my finish of choice- it's very hard, gives a great gloss when polished, and would very likely have been the original finish in any case.

Is it very bad inside? It may not require too much assistance to get it going..

Oliver

Edit: obviously the big knobs have to come off before the brackets one out, I'm bing a bit dim this morning. Go in for the grub screws through the hole underneath..

Last edited by Oliver35; 24th Apr 2017 at 10:13 am.
Old 24th Apr 2017, 10:52 am   #3
Nickthedentist
Dekatron

Yes, the knobs are held on with grubscrews.

Be wary of trying to re-finish it. Some careful touching-up, polishing with T-Cut, use of Scratch Cover etc. can give much more authentic results as opposed to what's obviously a DIY re-finish.

Good luck,

Nick.
Old 24th Apr 2017, 10:58 am   #4
Ryan_1993
Hexode

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oliver35 View Post
FWIW I wouldn't stain the cabinet- It's pretty irreversible, and I don't think it was used by manufacturers anyway. I used a toned lacquer on my TV, with several clear coats on top. Sprayed cellulose is my finish of choice- it's very hard, gives a great gloss when polished, and would very likely have been the original finish in any case.
What's the lacquer colour you used? I would like this original finish but free from scratches. My idea was to use light oak wood filler, light oak wood stain and then clear varnish refinish the shine.

Many thanks Ryan
Old 24th Apr 2017, 11:01 am   #5
Ryan_1993
Hexode

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nickthedentist View Post
Be wary of trying to re-finish it. Some careful touching-up, polishing with T-Cut, use of Scratch Cover etc. can give much more authentic results as opposed to what's obviously a DIY re-finish.
The Varnish/Lacquer is too far gone for touch up it's peeling off all down the sides and on top. Going to have to sand down the entire thing and redo it.
Old 24th Apr 2017, 11:07 am   #6
Nickthedentist
Dekatron

I ended up doing that with mine, refinishing with brushed-on French Polish. It looked very nice, but not very original.
Old 24th Apr 2017, 11:31 am   #7
Ryan_1993
Hexode

That sounds better, can you recommend a brand of French polish?
Old 24th Apr 2017, 12:17 pm   #8
high_vacuum_house
Octode

Be wary the 12" round CRT on this one has no rimband around the rim of the CRT to hold it to the chassis so as soon as the chassis is moved backwards the CRT can slide out of the focus assembly and hang on the neck!!

Christopher Capener
Old 24th Apr 2017, 12:26 pm   #9
Ryan_1993
Hexode

Oh yeah I have heard of that from another forum post on the TV24. I'll make sure to be careful. It hasn't been plugged in in 50 plus years so I don't think there is any worry of electric shock handling the components.

Was this model mid-range? It looks higher end than the TV22 obviously. was there any other differences other than the wood cabinet?
Old 24th Apr 2017, 12:38 pm   #10
high_vacuum_house
Octode

This was the more expensive set compared to the TV22 which share the same chassis though with a smaller 9" CRT and a cheaper to produce single piece Bakelite cabinet. Now the TV22 is more desirable than the TV24!!

Christopher Capener
Old 24th Apr 2017, 5:19 pm   #11
Oliver35
Pentode

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan_1993 View Post
What's the lacquer colour you used? I would like this original finish but free from scratches. My idea was to use light oak wood filler, light oak wood stain and then clear varnish refinish the shine.
Hi Ryan, I used a dark mahogany cellulose lacquer on mine, in an aerosol for guitar finishing. It needed a few coats to get the colour I wanted, but then my set is darker than yours, and still lighter than the original finish! I got it from eBay, but there are various sources, I'm sure, and plenty of shades to choose from. Beware of the colour banding on your set- it may be done with toned lacquer rather than veneer, and it would be a shame to lose it. I did a thread on my little Ferguson here:

https://www.vintage-radio.net/forum/...d.php?t=134196

I must get on and post a proper 'after' photo- I did take some, but I've yet to upload them off the camera..

Oliver
Old 24th Apr 2017, 6:44 pm   #12
Ryan_1993
Hexode

Them pics look impressive. I assume you did more than sanding to strip all the coating off?

I don't know if sanding is going to be enough ob mine even though a lot of it is pealing off some areas are still pretty tough stuff to get off. I had a little go on the back corner just to see how it went
Old 24th Apr 2017, 7:11 pm   #13
Nickthedentist
Dekatron

I used Nitromors.

Pleased to say that the "banding" is thanks to veneer, rather than merely toned lacquer alone.
Old 24th Apr 2017, 7:27 pm   #14
Freya
Octode

Be cautious when sanding veneer, some are extremely thin. better to use paint stripper with wire wool, or a cabinet scraper.
Old 24th Apr 2017, 8:05 pm   #15
Ryan_1993
Hexode

Thanks Stephen I think I will use paint strippers instead. My dad and grandad have always told me to avoid paint strippers. I have no idea why, I think it stems down to when they once used paint stripped on A cabinet the wood (chipboard) veneer just disintegrated from using it and all the layers of the chipboard just came apart

If I do go the varnish stripper route, am I better using the wood filer after all varnish has been stripped off? I am going to fill in the edges where the little bits of veneer are chipped with the wood filler

Thanks

Ryan
Old 24th Apr 2017, 8:53 pm   #16
McMurdo
Dekatron

If you use filler rather than fillets of new veneer, be prepared to have to tint it by hand with a small paintbrush etc. Whatever finish you put on (stain, coloured varnish, lacquer etc) won't take in the same way on the filler and could stick out like a sore thumb. I found a good read of Steve Ostler's website 'Radiocraft' to be good for ideas for those poorly cabinets.

http://www.radiocraft.co.uk/index.shtml
Old 25th Apr 2017, 6:25 am   #17
Ryan_1993
Hexode

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nickthedentist View Post
I used Nitromors.

Pleased to say that the "banding" is thanks to veneer, rather than merely toned lacquer alone.
Hi Nick,

Is Nitromors still as effective on this type of of thing? I have heard they removed a key ingredient in like 2012.
Old 25th Apr 2017, 7:38 am   #18
Ryan_1993
Hexode

also forgot to add that the varnish on the set looks pretty thin where its scrapped off, maybe 2 or 3 layers. Its hard to judge the reviews of Nitromors as most people complaing about it seem to be using it on doors decades old with many many layers of paint.
Old 25th Apr 2017, 7:44 am   #19
Ian - G4JQT
Octode

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freya View Post
Be cautious when sanding veneer, some are extremely thin. better to use paint stripper with wire wool, or a cabinet scraper.
I think I can confirm this. I took my TV24 furniture restorer to be resprayed. I pointed out the two contrasting veneers and asked for the finish to be as close as possible to the original.

I came back mahogany! I got some very vague explanation. Almost certainly caused by some over zealous sanding going right through it. The only reasonably cheap way for them to disguise what had happened was to darken the whole lot and then deal with me!

Anyway, the finished item...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	10426136_10152598879441154_6069060639462151201_n.jpg
Views:	163
Size:	49.6 KB
ID:	141494  
Old 25th Apr 2017, 8:15 am   #20
Ryan_1993
Hexode

Looks impressive. Did you get the rubber surround round the screen repainted? Mine has like eggshell cracks in the paintwork. Not sure if I should keep that or get it repainted. What colour is yours? On mine it looks a very faint faded green colour.
Closed Thread