UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > General Vintage Technology Discussions

Notices

General Vintage Technology Discussions For general discussions about vintage radio and other vintage electronics etc.

Closed Thread

Old 17th Sep 2015, 12:36 am   #21
paulsherwin

Default Re: Money For Nothing - BBC1 Yesterday Afternoon

I'm sure he's perfectly competent, but that's not really the point.
Old 17th Sep 2015, 7:00 am   #22
Radio Wrangler

If there is a market for things, then people will serve it.

What surprises me is the market for things that I'd consider 'Grot' (in the Reginald Perrin meaning). There seems to be a lot of people waiting, with good money in-hand, for anything which looks old and produces half-way decent sound from an iPhone. I'm waiting to see a horse collar with valves sticking out all around it and a speaker in the middle, and an iPod dock at the top. Someone would buy it.

There used to be a carriage and horse sale every year at Perth. The auction ring for accessories was packed out with pub owners wanting carriage lamps, horse brasses etc. Eventually a small industry arose making fake carriage lamps already converted to 240v electricity. I suppose we've already got that with Steepletone. Maybe these people want something just like a Steepletone, but with good sound?

Hmm, take one crapophone, shove a 6 inch long throw driver on a small baffle part way into its horn. cut some louvres in the hand-beaten copper behind it, stuff some lagging in behind it (building fitting scrap yard sourced period pipe lagging of course). Mount valves around the turntable for the amplifier. Lock the turntable in position, cut a slot in the top of the turntable to take an iThing and voila! Surely some fashionista would find it irresistible?
Old 17th Sep 2015, 8:02 am   #23
cmjones01
Nonode

I think you've just defined steampunk - combining steam-era aesthetics with modern, or fantasy, technology. It doesn't have to be about restoring something from the past, but creating something new. A brass-and-mahogany case that just happens to be a useful smartphone? Why not? Of course, doing it well, so it really looks like something from an H G Wells novel, and not just like a hacked-about version of a familiar radio, isn't easy!

Chris
Old 17th Sep 2015, 8:41 am   #24
Malcolm G6ANZ
Octode

As here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TFCuE5rHbPA
Malcolm
Old 17th Sep 2015, 8:57 am   #25
sp10mk11
Octode

We used to sell a lot of very old suitcases on site so that some guys would do the same with them, stick speakers and an amp in them, I suppose it is re-cycling in a way.

Gary
Old 20th Jul 2017, 9:47 pm   #26
Station X

Thread reopened at member's request.

Reach for your meter before you reach for your soldering iron.
Old 20th Jul 2017, 10:01 pm   #27
HamishBoxer
Dekatron

Today there was a Bush DAC90, to be heavily modded and to fetch £300!

Afraid I would restore to original.
Old 20th Jul 2017, 10:38 pm   #28
60 oldjohn
Dekatron

This is a repeat of the programme featured in #1 featuring a DAC90A it is available on BBC I player.

John.
Old 20th Jul 2017, 10:52 pm   #29
Station X

In view of what I've read here, I couldn't bear to watch it!

Reach for your meter before you reach for your soldering iron.
Old 21st Jul 2017, 8:42 am   #30
bobskie
Hexode

I was watching this yesterday, I was surprised that someone would throw something like this in a skip. I was also surprised at how much the restorer took for making the radio less functional! Surely the antique shop that bought it can't make over £350 back! It's probably all staged though to be honest.
Old 21st Jul 2017, 9:37 am   #31
Nuvistor
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobskie View Post
I was surprised that someone would throw something like this in a skip. I was also surprised at how much the restorer took for making the radio less functional! Surely the antique shop that bought it can't make over £350 back! It's probably all staged though to be honest.
Items get skipped all the time, we all have different values.

If it took him a day to "change " it at £40 an hour plus parts, less functionality is immaterial.

No idea how the the antique world works.

" Staged" yes I would think so, in some form.

Frank
Old 21st Jul 2017, 11:05 am   #32
The Philpott
Dekatron

Can't help but agree, if nothing turns up they contrive an incident. The lack of content is quickly betrayed by the amount of time the camera spends pointed at the presenter walking away (very artistic, but....BBC, honestly..!?)
Old 21st Jul 2017, 11:25 am   #33
bobskie
Hexode

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nuvistor View Post
Items get skipped all the time, we all have different values.

If it took him a day to "change " it at £40 an hour plus parts, less functionality is immaterial.

No idea how the the antique world works.

" Staged" yes I would think so, in some form.
Yes it's sad to think what people throw out, I have been told my great grandmother owned an Ekco A22 which no doubt ended up dumped. Everything on TV is worth more than I have ever seen it selling for seemingly, strange that. I do feel this is far less staged than a lot of TV shows though, especially the American ones.
Old 21st Jul 2017, 2:16 pm   #34
Nuvistor
Dekatron

I was in a National Trust property a few weeks ago, on a table was a DAC90, playing music in keeping with the era of the room. I didn't touch the radio but looking at the back, the radio had been gutted, with the dial and knobs in place, dial light was lit and what appeared to be a Bluetooth speaker and MP3 player producing the sound, they were plugged into a "Wall Wart PSU"

This would have been playing all day, the thought of even a restored DAC90 playing all day with no one to look after it and possibly be left on all night would not be good. So perhaps there is a market for such items, no idea how much NT would have paid for the set and conversion, obviously a limited market.

Now should the radio have been left unrestored and not powered, the Bluetooth Speaker and MP3 player just hidden behind it?

Frank
Old 21st Jul 2017, 2:59 pm   #35
Voxophone
Hexode

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobskie View Post
I was surprised that someone would throw something like this in a skip.
There's a thread in the TV section of the forum at the moment about a 1950s TV found in a skip. It must still happen occasionally.

One of the good things about the likes of eBay is that anyone can see what a given item might be worth just by doing a quick search. This might result in less vintage stuff being thrown away. Having said that, anyone taking eBay 'buy it now' listings at face value would think DAC90As are worth £150+
Old 21st Jul 2017, 4:47 pm   #36
bobskie
Hexode

Yes eBay does have the unfortunate side effect of pushing up prices though. People have a look, take the highest price then try to sell it to you for that.
Old 21st Jul 2017, 5:12 pm   #37

A lot of this type of programme is staged, a friend of mine was co-opted into a car restoration show as the 'buyer' to complete it, she worked next door to where it was restored.

Old 21st Jul 2017, 5:26 pm   #38
HamishBoxer
Dekatron

I certainly agree with the comment made by Graham.I only watched a few minutes myself.
Old 21st Jul 2017, 11:20 pm   #39
AC/HL
Dekatron

Of course it's staged, it's an entertainment programme.
I believe that the haggling on those auction programmes is also pre-arranged, that's show business folks!
Old 24th Jul 2017, 9:56 am   #40
avocollector
Heptode

Back in the 60's I had a schoolmate who was pretty good at valve radios and would modify your old radio into a guitar amp for a modest fee (stripped out the rf bits and oscillator - used the space to add an extra audio valve if needed) and did quite well out of it. Fortunately he never seems to have come across an ac/dc model - I recall all his rebuilds had mains transformers. I mean a small 15 watt amp was anything up to 30 pounds back then while grannys old radio was free and for 5 pounds the conversion was done. Anyway my point is this radio conversion activity has a long history in the UK and generally the mods are not so drastic that they cannot be reversed. The other trick was to use the gram pickup socket on the back of a lot of radios but the caps there could be a bit leaky and give you some 'bite' when plugged in - as I found out a few times.
Closed Thread