UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > Components and Circuits

Notices

Components and Circuits For discussions about component types, alternatives and availability, circuit configurations and modifications etc. Discussions here should be of a general nature and not about specific sets.

Closed Thread

Old 28th Jan 2021, 11:19 am   #1
CambridgeWorks
Nonode

Default Capacitor halved in value?

Following on from the other thread about doubling in value, somewhere I have a TCC visconol 8uF 800V that reads 4uF. I have sometimes tested others and they are always within 10% tolerance.
Could it be that the 8uF is made up by two 4uF in parallel?
Rob
Old 28th Jan 2021, 12:16 pm   #2
GMB
Dekatron

Default Re: Capacitor halved in value?

Read how?

There are so many ways and most of them do not work well in situations where there is something not right.
Old 28th Jan 2021, 1:04 pm   #3
CambridgeWorks
Nonode

Tested on an oldish digital capacitance meter and a Marconi TF2700, plus tested with a 500V megger to make sure no leakage and holds charge. Several other were tested at the same time and were ok as expected.
Rob
Old 28th Jan 2021, 2:59 pm   #4
GMB
Dekatron

That sounds like a valid measurement.
I think the rectangular kind are indeed as you say. I once saw a photo that seemed to show that.
Old 28th Jan 2021, 4:55 pm   #5
CambridgeWorks
Nonode

Thanks. I have seen 4uF, not sure if 600v or 800v that seem same length but more square shape. Two side by side being approx the size of my 8uF, iirc.
Rob