UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Telephony and Telecomms

Notices

Vintage Telephony and Telecomms Vintage Telephones, Telephony and Telecomms Equipment

Closed Thread

Old 4th Oct 2021, 8:31 am   #1
Telephone Guy
Tetrode

Default 746 not ringing and no dial tone

Just a bit of a shot in the dark: a friend of mine, who doesn't live locally, has an old 746 ( at least I'm 95% sure it's a 746 ). It's been in use previously but he moved recently and it hasn't worked since. If he calls the number from his mobile, he hears a ringing tone but the phone itself doesn't ring; also, there's no dialling tone ( or sound of any kind ) when he picks up the receiver. I've told him to try a different phone in the same socket; the different phone worked fine. I've told him to try the same phone plugged into the internal master socket; no change.
I know that 'remote diagnosis' or indeed 'diagnosis by proxy' ( ! ) is tricky at best, but does anyone have any clues as to what direction to look in? For what it's worth, my thought was that if there's no dialling tone and the phone's not ringing, the problem might be either with the plug that goes into the wall socket, or the connections from that plug to the terminal block inside the phone.
Any inspiration, anyone?
Old 4th Oct 2021, 9:07 am   #2
Dave Moll
Dekatron

Default Re: 746 not ringing and no dial tone

I think you're right that the first port of call is confirming electrical continuity from the plug to the internal connections.

Assuming that the 'phone has been wired for third-wire ringing from an external capacitor, the lack of both ringing and dial tone suggests to me a problem with the "A" leg (which is common to both).

Maybe a squirt of contact cleaner on the plug contacts would be worth a try before anything else, just to eliminate the possibility of oxidised contacts causing the problem.