UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Other Discussions > Homebrew Equipment

Notices

Homebrew Equipment A place to show, design and discuss the weird and wonderful electronic creations from the hands of individual members.

Closed Thread

Old 26th Sep 2009, 6:17 pm   #1
YT2095UK
Retired Dormant Member

Question Camms Regen Radio, help please.

I`m slowly amassing the parts needed to build as near as possible a working radio like that in Camms book, a Beginners Guide to Radio (c 1956).
in there it mentions an X.D 1.5v Triode, as the valve needed.

I can`t find anything on it
I don`t know what the equiv is either as it gives no data, I have no idea what CV number it may be, although I suspect it would be a "D" number and followed by a "C" denoting it`s fillament voltage and that it`s a Triode respectively.

I`v had a look through all my valves and I have no Single triodes, they`re all doubles, ECC (12**7) types, and although these are favorites of mine to use, it would be nice to have some Single triode types too.

does anyone even know the Mu for this "X.D" valve?

Thanks each
Old 26th Sep 2009, 7:44 pm   #2
paulsherwin

Default Re: Camms Regen Radio, help please.

I don't have the circuit in front of me, but these designs are usually very tolerant of different valve types. You can use a pentode instead of a triode simply by 'triode wiring' it (g2 goes to the anode and g3 to the cathode). Any of the common junk box small signal pentodes should be OK (EF80, EF91, EF37A, EF39 etc.) or you could use the triode from an EBC33, EBC41 or EBC81. If you want a battery valve you can triode wire a DF91/96 or DAF91/96.

There is also no problem with using half of an ECC8x and leaving the spare triode unused.

Paul
Old 26th Sep 2009, 7:45 pm   #3
Ed_Dinning
Dekatron

Hi YT, my copy suggests a 1L4 valve (1F2, DF92). Virtually any battery RF pentode should work here, you could also use valves from the octal 1.4 volt series as well.

Ed
Old 26th Sep 2009, 8:45 pm   #4
Mr Moose
Octode

Hello,
The data for the XD1.5v are Vf = 1.5v, If = 0.08A, Va = 50v, Ia =0.45ma, Vg = 0v, ra = 50Kohm, gm = 0.4mA/V, Amp Factor = 20.
It is a Hivac 'Minature' triode but the minature refers to comparison to a standard B4 based triode. It is about the size of an EL84 etc valve with the addition of a bakelite 4-pin base.
It looks very similar to this output version http://www.r-type.org/exhib/aaa0736.htm.
Yours, Richard
Old 26th Sep 2009, 8:54 pm   #5
YT2095UK
Retired Dormant Member

fantastic, thank you so much! I now know what to look, for as I want it to be as Accurate as possible to the original, although with a gain of 20 I expect half an ecc81/82 would be the closest with a gain of 17, or even better the 12BH7 with its larger insides if I had to compromise.
Old 27th Sep 2009, 8:14 pm   #6
kalee20
Dekatron

I have a couple of XH1.5V Hivac triodes (which will not be a million miles from the XD1.5V) - functionality unknown at present. I think you'll have a harder job finding the appropriate valveholder! But if you can find this, I might be persuaded to part with one of my triodes... Check the data first though.
Old 27th Sep 2009, 10:38 pm   #7
YT2095UK
Retired Dormant Member

thanks for the offer, I`v just bought 4 #76 triodes and want to give these a shot first, as for valve holders I may have the same issue with these, but a drilled sheet of bakelite and a hand full of clips I can accommodate almost anything
Closed Thread