UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > Websites

Notices

Websites Found an interesting website? Post the details here and share it with the rest of us. Please stick to websites that are in some way related to our hobby/interest.

Closed Thread

Old 21st Apr 2005, 3:47 pm   #1
mikelect
Retired Dormant Member

Default Crackle paint and stuff

Hi Guys, I've just received the paper catalogue from FROST who have a website at www.frost.co.uk they are stockists of veteran car restoring equipment but two things that caught my eye are black rubber insulating tape part no K405 and crackle effect paint available in black, grey and red part nos P110, P114 and P111 respectively HTH

Mike
Old 21st Apr 2005, 10:33 pm   #2
Sean Williams
Dekatron

Default Re: Crackle paint and stuff

If the Crackle paint is the type I have used you may be disappointed, as the crackle is a bit big for Radio work - more at home on the dashboard of an MGB....

Frost do all sorts of nice gear for metalwork too, although some of it is a bit pricey!!

Cheers
Sean
Old 23rd Apr 2005, 8:09 pm   #3
Aerodyne
Octode

Actually, they are selling 'wrinkle' paint -not the same stuff as crackle, even though they mix the terms themselves. The effect of the wrinkle is or should be the opposite of crackle: crackling occurs when the paint film shrinks as it dries wheras wrinkle SHOULD expand to create tiny folds. This finish was used on quality electrical items such as 16mm film projectors, test equipment and the like. I like the wrinkle effect, having used some I imported from the USA. Don't bother, though. It is far too expensive. On the other hand, Frost's sound reasonable and there's even a (limited) choice of colour. The size of the wrinkle effect gained is very dependant on temperature and perhaps humidity, so experimentation is needed. A small area is easy enough but larger ones can be less predictable in outcome.

-Tony
Old 24th Apr 2005, 9:53 am   #4
Paul Stenning
Administrator

This is the websites section and is NOT the place for a discussion about the types of paint available etc.

Paul Stenning
Forum Admin/Owner and BVWS Webmaster
Closed Thread