UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Television and Video

Notices

Vintage Television and Video Vintage television and video equipment, programmes, VCRs etc.

Closed Thread

Old 11th Apr 2019, 7:57 pm   #1
collisr
Pentode

Default Power issue (?) on a Sony VO9600 u-matic

Hi all,

I wonder if anyone has seen this issue before. I have 2 of these machines - one works great - the other has a power issue.

The symptom is:
- on power on (switch at the front), the VU meters twitch, the front lights (SP/High band etc) flick on for a split second and then the unit goes dead. Buttons don't respond, no lights on - nothing.
- occasionally - usually after being left switched off for 5 mins or so - the unit DOES power-up successfully and stay on. If you power off and on-again, it goes back to the fault

So far, I have swapped over the AC-DC and DC-DC power boards (which are known to work okay on the good machine) and no-change!

Before I go any further, anyone seen this before? Given its not the power supply itself, is this some sort of safety shutdown/short-protection from elsewhere? Couldn't see this noted as a common fault so was hoping someone might have some pointers.

Rob
Old 11th Apr 2019, 11:03 pm   #2
wave solder
Hexode

Default Re: Power issue (?) on a Sony VO9600 u-matic

I had the mains power switch go intermittent on one of mine.
Old 12th Apr 2019, 1:47 pm   #3
collisr
Pentode

Default Re: Power issue (?) on a Sony VO9600 u-matic

Thanks wave solder !

You were 100% on the money with my machine. "Servisol"-ed the front power switch and problem solved.

Fitted a replacement pinch roller (thanks whiskers), cleaned, oiled and greased and works a treat!

Thanks again

Rob
Closed Thread