UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Audio (record players, hi-fi etc)

Notices

Vintage Audio (record players, hi-fi etc) Amplifiers, speakers, gramophones and other audio equipment.

Closed Thread

Old 3rd Oct 2018, 9:03 am   #1
popmirrorman
Triode

Default Alba portable record player problem

Kia Orana from the Cook Islands.

I recently got an Alba portable record player from the Uk. When i got it home to play a record it worked ok until i adjusted the volume control. When i did it crackled for a second and then the sound died. It now only gives faint sound on full volume. It may be the cartridge. A little info...

I do not know the model of the player but the turntable is a BSR, X5m cart and ST8 styli.

Here in Rarotonga we use 240v, same as NZ. I am using a adapter for the plug, 3 pin.

I have sprayed a little bit of contact cleaner on the pots and connections and also had a look at the cart connections which seem ok.

Really i just want to make sure i go about troubleshooting in a logical order. If anyone has any advice i'd love to hear it.

Thanks in advance
Ian.
Old 3rd Oct 2018, 9:56 am   #2
paulsherwin

Default Re: Alba portable record player problem

It sounds as if the volume pot is just dirty and/or worn. You say you've cleaned it, but you need to get the switch cleaner inside where it can coat the track and sliding contacts. Sometimes you can find a hole or gap to squirt the cleaner into, but often you have to dismantle it, at least to some extent. This isn't usually difficult with vintage pots.
Old 4th Oct 2018, 4:07 am   #3
popmirrorman
Triode

Thanks! I'll try that first, let you know.

Ian.

OK.

I tried to clean inside the pot but it is soldered to a circuit board along with the tone and power pots and not simple to get off without removing several other solders which I do not want to do at this stage.

Any other suggestions more than welcome.
Old 4th Oct 2018, 11:25 am   #4
nicam49
Hexode

Have you got a multimeter? If yes, can you get to the vol pot connections and check Ohms while turning the knob to see if you have any variance. One probe to wiper (centre) connection, of course! Else, maybe the loud crackle has stressed a component or connection. If you've an mp3 player, inject a signal from it 1stly via the vol control wiper to eliminate at least the components downstream of It. Maybe measure the power supply (DC) in case something popped there. I hope you have SOME awareness of electrical safety precautions to take while undertaking these tests. A circuit diagram is also a must.
Old 5th Oct 2018, 4:07 am   #5
popmirrorman
Triode

Thanks
I got a multimeter today and will check the pots.

Righto.

I just tested the pot and it seems OK. It is 100k and when the probes were on the outer connections it was reading between 100 - 125. when I put the probe on the positive on the wiper it read 0 at one end and 125 at the other. The reading was never stable but flicking up and down between 100 - 125ish. That sound OK to you?

May I also add, I really appreciate you people taking the time to help. In the real world I would find someone who knows what they're doing to sort it out for me but not really possible here. Plus, it's interesting to learn. Cheers folks.
Closed Thread