UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Telephony and Telecomms

Notices

Vintage Telephony and Telecomms Vintage Telephones, Telephony and Telecomms Equipment

Closed Thread

Old 4th Jun 2017, 6:29 pm   #1
Retro83
Retired Dormant Member

Default Help with GPO Telephone 248 Base

Hi, I have recently purchased a 248 Base and was hoping to find a telephone to go with it, could anyone tell me please if a standard 232 telephone would do the job? I am totally new to this and know very little about these vintage telephones so any help would be much appreciated. My plan is to sell it on once it is complete. Also do you think it would be worth adding a bell set
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	s-l1600-1.jpg
Views:	154
Size:	90.6 KB
ID:	143934  
Old 5th Jun 2017, 7:48 am   #2
Dave Moll
Dekatron

Default Re: Help with GPO Telephone 248 Base

The simple answer is "nearly". I have a "Bellset 39" (which I believe is what you have there) with which I was, until recently*, using with a 232 telephone. The problem is that the 232 does not have the additional set of contacts on the gravity (cradle) switch that a 248 has. What I did was to bridge the terminals in the bellset, so that they were permanently in the "off-hook" condition. The result was that "spk to extn, exch held" took the system off-hook even with the handset in its cradle. If you can live with that "quirk", then yes, you can do what you are seeking.

*I say "until recently" as this planset is under reconstruction at present with a recently-acquired "Bellset 44", and is currently out of action - but that's a different story.

With regard to your comment about adding a bellset, the complete plan requires various other components, such as a bell 64D (which rings for incoming calls from the exchange line) along with (for an external extension) a magneto 26AN to ring the extension and a second bell (such as bellset 26) for ringing from the extension. At the extension end, a further magneto (26AP) is required to ring the afore-mentioned bell.

Last edited by Dave Moll; 5th Jun 2017 at 7:55 am.
Old 5th Jun 2017, 12:53 pm   #3
els1967
Pentode

I have a bell set 44 and a which I have a 321 connected to plus the bells to make up a complete Plan 7. It was quite a project to get the whole thing working and doing so really helped cement my understanding of how these old phones really work. One of the bigger problems was trying to source the right connector cables and junction boxes. I still haven't found a GPO magneto bell but I can live with the one I have.

I think to answer your question, I would ask my self, who is likely to buy this bell set? To work as a regular phone certainly it would need converting and a bell set added so then the controls themselves become some what obsolete. If it were sold on as part of a bell set then I would expect a collector would probably buy it in which case it would probably be restored to fully functioning condition so any work you do it is likely to have little benefit, unless you sell it on as a complete Plan 5.

There is a lot of useful information about them here...

http://www.britishtelephones.com/bellst39.htm
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0484.jpg
Views:	128
Size:	33.7 KB
ID:	143967   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0485.jpg
Views:	123
Size:	35.0 KB
ID:	143968   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0486.jpg
Views:	113
Size:	49.2 KB
ID:	143969  

Last edited by els1967; 5th Jun 2017 at 1:22 pm.
Old 9th Jun 2017, 6:05 pm   #4
Retro83
Retired Dormant Member

Thanks for your help, very interesting. I think I'm probably better off selling it on as it is then and let someone else do the work. I have had a good look around and the chances of finding a 248 telephone on its own to go with my bell set 39 are slim!
Closed Thread