UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Telephony and Telecomms

Notices

Vintage Telephony and Telecomms Vintage Telephones, Telephony and Telecomms Equipment

Closed Thread

Old 22nd Aug 2018, 1:05 am   #1
trevwgb
Tetrode

Question Skype and vintage Telephones

Greetings all
Not that long ago I had a device plugged into my router and the PBX linking all the vintage phones around the house. If we had a Skype call all the old phones would ring and you could answer on these phones if necessary. A year or so ago Microsoft stop supporting this device – does anyone know how I could set up a system so that a Skype call would again ring the analogue phones?
Many thanks
Regards
Trev
Old 22nd Aug 2018, 11:38 am   #2
mike_newcomb
Rest in Peace

Default Re: Skype and vintage Telephones

Hi Trev,

it might help if you advised the Make, and full model number / name of the device.
Some photos would be interesting to see.

Regards - Mike
Old 22nd Aug 2018, 2:23 pm   #3
OscarFoxtrot
Heptode

Unfortunately Skype is completely proprietary and Microsoft have intentionally disabled the APIs required for third-party device access.

The answer is ultimately to move away from Skype towards a standards-based SIP implementation.
Old 22nd Aug 2018, 3:04 pm   #4
julie_m
Dekatron

+1 to that. Skype, being based on proprietary standards which are updated regularly to thwart interoperability efforts and render old hardware useless, is the absolute antithesis of everything that telecommunications should be.

The only reason you can successfully make a call from a BT landline to a cable TV landline, or a Vodafone mobile to a Three mobile, or an AA SIP trunk to an O2 mobile, or an EE mobile to a BT landline, or any combination, is the mandated use of compatible, published standards as a condition of licence. And Skype have driven a coach and horses right through all that.

As you've already got the hardware, look at Asterisk and getting a SIP trunk.
Old 22nd Aug 2018, 3:25 pm   #5
paulsherwin

The problem is that consumer VoIP is completely dominated by proprietary standards. You can put as much effort as you like into an open SIP based system, but it's not much use if the people who want to call you only have Skype or FaceTime.
Old 22nd Aug 2018, 9:11 pm   #6
Graham G3ZVT
Dekatron

Quite.

ippi.fr had Skype integration working until comparatively recently, I had some speed dials set up in my Asterisk box that got forwarded to various Skype IDs in ippi

You used to be able to create inbound routes in pbxes.org (a free cloud based cut-down Asterisk server) in the form <skype_user_name>@skype, but I strongly suspect that no longer works.

Note that the above was for making calls to a Skype user

When my son was away at university he had a little non-Smart phone called the SkypePhone S2
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/3_Skypephone_S2
I thought it would be handy to be able to forward incoming Skype calls to a SIP address so they could be handled by my IP phone system.

To make that work I had to leave a Windows box on 24/7 with the normal Skype client running and also an gateway application called SIPtoSYS that hooked into the handy Skype API. I notice this functionality is no longer apparent on the latest Skype clients.
Old 22nd Aug 2018, 11:51 pm   #7
arjoll
Dekatron

Enable Skype Connect, then add an ATA or Asterisk PBX to connect to Skype.

These instructions are for a Yeastar myPBX - I have an S20 but haven't tried this, I could have a play if you get into trouble. The procedures are dated 25/7/18 and should work for any SIP device.

https://support.yeastar.com/hc/en-us...-Skype-Connect

You won't be able to make calls out to Skype users, but will be able to receive Skype calls.
Old 30th Aug 2018, 2:05 am   #8
Graham G3ZVT
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by arjoll

You won't be able to make calls out to Skype users, but will be able to receive Skype calls.
Indeed.

Anyone calling the Skype account that I have activated in Skype Connect is connected to my registered Asterisk trunk
One way speech at the moment, no speech in the SIP to Skype direction.

I am assuming that is because my Asterisk box and the Skype client are both behind the same NAT router, but we shall see.

Thanks for the heads-up, I didn't know this functionality was available.

Here's a strange thing, the calls have a 10 digit CLID and I wondered if dialling it back on the registered trunk would connect to the Skype account, but as you can see the number changes on every call.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	CDR.jpg
Views:	71
Size:	65.2 KB
ID:	168365  
Closed Thread