UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Amateur and Military Radio

Notices

Vintage Amateur and Military Radio Amateur/military receivers and transmitters, morse, and any other related vintage comms equipment.

Closed Thread

Old 2nd Dec 2008, 2:43 pm   #1
12jaguar
Retired Dormant Member

Default RAF TR1936 VHF radio info/pics required

Hi all,

I was recommended to come here to see if anyone has any info on the above radio set. I'm currently restoring the cockpit of a deHavilland Chipmunk aircraft and this set was a standard fit on the early aircraft. I'm hoping that someone has some pictures and/or leads on a non-serviceable set(or even empty case) to use as a space model in the front cockpit. pictures would be useful in case I have to search wider and at least I'll know what to look for

Any help gratefully recieved

kind regards

John
Old 2nd Dec 2008, 3:43 pm   #2
HamishBoxer
Dekatron

Default Re: RAF TR1936 VHF radio info/pics required

was this fitted to the Spitfire as well?

Regards David
Old 2nd Dec 2008, 3:49 pm   #3
HamishBoxer
Dekatron

seems it was fitted to Whirlwind SAR and Sea Prince aircraft
Old 2nd Dec 2008, 4:16 pm   #4
GMB
Dekatron

The TR1936 doesn't really look like anything - it's exactly the same as the various other VHF sets of the late valve era. The pilot had a remote control unit for it which for this was fairly crude I think. The set itself has no external controls at all.

I have a picture of the TR1936 itself, PM me an email-address and I'll send it.
Old 3rd Dec 2008, 9:12 am   #5
12jaguar
Retired Dormant Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMB View Post
The TR1936 doesn't really look like anything - it's exactly the same as the various other VHF sets of the late valve era. The pilot had a remote control unit for it which for this was fairly crude I think. The set itself has no external controls at all.

I have a picture of the TR1936 itself, PM me an email-address and I'll send it.
PM sent

I believe that these radios were fitted to early 1950s generation aircraft. I'm afraid I'm very much at your mercy on this one as I'm mechanically minded and am a bit blond when it comes to all things electronic etc

I'm trying to get my cockpit back to it's early configuration (she was at the 1953 Queens Coronation Review) and has the never been modified to the later UHF PTR 170 radio fit. The location of the radio box is fairly prominent in the front cockpit and it would be good to fill the space with something that looks appropriate.

many thanks

John
Old 3rd Dec 2008, 1:57 pm   #6
Station X

I'm not an expert on these matters, but if you're doing a cockpit restoration I think what you need is the control box rather than the transceiver itself. The transceiver would sit in an avionics bay remote from the control box.

The same system was used in cars with the transceiver being mounted in the boot and the control box on the dashboard.

Reach for your meter before you reach for your soldering iron.
Old 3rd Dec 2008, 2:10 pm   #7
12jaguar
Retired Dormant Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Station X View Post
I'm not an expert on these matters, but if you're doing a cockpit restoration I think what you need is the control box rather than the transceiver itself. The transceiver would sit in an avionics bay remote from the control box.

The same system was used in cars with the transceiver being mounted in the boot and the control box on the dashboard.
Hi Graham,

Thanks for the input. In this case the transceiver is directly in front of the pilot in the front cockpit and is mounted directly under the instrument panel. therefore it is in view (unfortunately) and for completeness needs to fill the hole. Luckily I have the small controller which sits in the front cockpit and a larger controller which is located on the rear cockpit sidewall and is used to switch control between cockpits and mutes the radio.

regards

John
Old 19th Feb 2009, 9:01 am   #8
12jaguar
Retired Dormant Member

Hi all

Just a quick follow up to my original request. I've managed to acquire a TR1986 which to all intents and purposes is identical to the TR1936. Many thanks to all for their assistance and especially GMB who lent me one of his so that I could take measurements etc.

cheers

John
Old 20th Feb 2009, 9:37 pm   #9
David Simpson
Nonode

Hamish,the RAF Whirlwind SAR was originally fitted with the 1985/86/87 series 10channelVHF, & some - the 1998VHF .These VHFs were linked to the SARAH homing beacon display which operated on 121.5Mhz.When the Whirlwinds were modified in 1963, they came back from Westlands fitted with ARC52 UHF's linked to the Violet Picture homing display for the SARBE beacons - 243Mhz.

Regards, David (228/202 Sqdn,1962 - 1964)
Quote:
Originally Posted by HamishBoxer View Post
seems it was fitted to Whirlwind SAR and Sea Prince aircraft
Closed Thread