UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Amateur and Military Radio

Notices

Vintage Amateur and Military Radio Amateur/military receivers and transmitters, morse, and any other related vintage comms equipment.

Closed Thread

Old 27th Mar 2020, 8:57 pm   #1
Barnmead
Pentode

Default Request for QSL

My father G2AWA and stepmother G3HYL were both active radio hams during the late 1940s and 1950s generally on 80metres.

I have a lot of QSL cards from their contacts but sadly not one of their own and would dearly like to have a one or both or even scanned images. As I recall they were both similar to that shown on this page: http://www.richardsradios.co.uk/g2awa.html

I haven’t found G2AWA yet but did find 2AWA from 1931 on the K8CX QSL Museum site. This must have been one of his very earliest.

I have asked for this query to be included in the May edition of the RADCOM magazine but I wonder if any of the group who read this post may be able to help.
Old 27th Mar 2020, 10:58 pm   #2
G3VKM_Roger
Heptode

Default Re: Request for QSL

Hi Richard,

A lot of QSL cards turn up on eBay, usually in blocks of cards and probably from a estate sale. I see you're in Norfolk. The radio group at the Norfolk Tank Museum may have inherited the homebrew station and QSL collection of G6HL which was formerly kept by the Muckleburgh Collection. The QSL collection was large and had quite a few pre-WW2 cards.

As you probably know, the 2AAA-ZZZ series were Artificial Aerial licences and were re-issued as a full licence post-WW2 with the G prefix.

Again locally, there used to be a regular Readers Ad entry for a collector in Southwold but I don't see it in recent Radcoms.

Cheers

Roger
Old 28th Mar 2020, 11:09 am   #3
dodgy-dxer
Heptode

Tony G4UZN is another QSL card collector so it may be worth asking him

There is a large collection in Austria at http://www.dokufunk.org/index.php?lang=EN

Fred
G4BWP
Old 29th Mar 2020, 12:33 pm   #4
Barnmead
Pentode

Thank you, I do look on eBay every now and again but often as you say they are offered in lots. The tank museum is a possibility I have not thought about. I have looked at the Austrian site but not that of G4UZN. Out of interest I attach the info I did find.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen Shot 2020-03-29 at 12.31.05.jpg
Views:	82
Size:	49.1 KB
ID:	201752  
Old 29th Mar 2020, 12:52 pm   #5
David G4EBT
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barnmead View Post
My father G2AWA and stepmother G3HYL were both active radio hams during the late 1940s and 1950s generally on 80metres.

I have a lot of QSL cards from their contacts but sadly not one of their own and would dearly like to have a one or both or even scanned images. As I recall they were both similar to that shown on this page: http://www.richardsradios.co.uk/g2awa.html
Thanks for the link Richard - a fascinating read - your late father had an eventful life!

I spent an enjoyable half hour browsing your nicely set up informative website too.

Good luck in your quest - sorry I can't help.
Closed Thread