UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Audio (record players, hi-fi etc)

Notices

Vintage Audio (record players, hi-fi etc) Amplifiers, speakers, gramophones and other audio equipment.

Closed Thread

Old 10th Jan 2006, 5:06 am   #1
elynnia
Retired Dormant Member

Default DIN Connectors

Hallo,

I'm getting a 70's (I think) HMV integrated record player/amp, which I'm planning to use as my main record player, but I noticed that it has a tape-player connection that uses a 5-pin DIN connector. If I recall correctly, does the DIN connector have both input and output stereo connections, and what are the functions of each of the pins? I'd like to make an adaptor to plug into the DIN socket and connects to RCA output/input sockets...

...elynnia
Old 10th Jan 2006, 6:27 am   #2
Paul_RK
Dekatron

Default Re: DIN Connectors

Hi elynnia,

Yes, 5 pin DIN connectors were very commonly used to carry stereo signals in both directions. You'll find pinout diagrams on this page: http://www.vandenhul.com/artpap/wiring-din.htm

Paul
Old 10th Jan 2006, 9:03 am   #3
Aub
Nonode

Hi Paul,

Just looked at that URL and the info within. What are the left and right amplifier outputs for? Are these outputs from the output side of the pre-amp that are used for recording, etc?

Thanks

Aubrey
Old 10th Jan 2006, 9:38 am   #4
Paul_RK
Dekatron

Hi Aubrey,

You're right first time When an amplifier or receiver had several 5-pin DIN sockets, as many did, only those intended for tape decks would include the output connections, at signal level for recording purposes.

Paul
Closed Thread