UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Tape (Audio), Cassette, Wire and Magnetic Disc Recorders and Players

Notices

Vintage Tape (Audio), Cassette, Wire and Magnetic Disc Recorders and Players Open-reel tape recorders, cassette recorders, 8-track players etc.

Closed Thread

Old 16th Aug 2019, 8:48 am   #1
Diabolical Artificer
Dekatron

Default Unknown R2R capstan/flywheel/motor assembly ID.

As above, trying to ID this assembly which someone gave me years ago, not sure if the motor is an old Papst. It's a very heavy over engineered assembly and is driving me nuts getting in the way, an ID will hopefully be able to shift it to someone who can use it or the motor.

TFL, Andy.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC01583.JPG
Views:	107
Size:	162.5 KB
ID:	188396   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC01584.JPG
Views:	102
Size:	160.6 KB
ID:	188397   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC01585.JPG
Views:	99
Size:	162.1 KB
ID:	188398  
Old 16th Aug 2019, 9:17 am   #2
BillDWVA
Pentode

Default Re: Unknown R2R capstan/flywheel/motor assembly ID.

Andy,
It looks like a Ferrograph Series 4 or earlier. The motor is their own make and needs a phase-shift capacitor to run.
Not much left there; looking at your pics., heads, pinch roller, pressure arms and idlers are all missing.

Bill
Old 16th Aug 2019, 9:24 am   #3
ricard
Octode

Don't recognize it at all, the motor doesn't say 'Papst' to me, but perhaps I'm too stuck in thinking of the green outer rotor motors used in Grundig machines.

I'm intrigued by the mechanical design though, it looks as if the pinch roller with its bracket is bolted to the deck, so is it the flywheel/capstan that moves to engage the drive, or does the flywheel in fact drive the pinch roller, with what looks like a capstan being the moving part?

EDIT: Bill beat me to it, I suppose the bracket encapsulates the capstan/flywheel, and what looks like a capstan sticking up is in fact the pinch roller shaft?
Old 16th Aug 2019, 9:31 am   #4
Ted Kendall
Dekatron

It's from a Ferrograph, probably Series 5 or 6, so it will be a Ferrograph motor.
Old 16th Aug 2019, 10:04 am   #5
Ted Kendall
Dekatron

Brain fade - it is of course pre-Series 5, as the capstan has a top bearing.
Old 16th Aug 2019, 2:10 pm   #6
Diabolical Artificer
Dekatron

Thanks all. The flywheel is fixed, stationary ricard, the pinch roller is on that arm that moves to meet the capstan head, thus pulling the tape through. There are some bits missing that shove the belt up/down to select speeds. The whole thing weighs a ton, built like a tank.

So we think Ferrograph S4 or earlier. I'll pop a cap on the motor to see if it's ok and offer it on the forum.

Thanks again, Andy.