UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Audio (record players, hi-fi etc)

Notices

Vintage Audio (record players, hi-fi etc) Amplifiers, speakers, gramophones and other audio equipment.

Closed Thread

Old 2nd Nov 2005, 2:01 pm   #1
bsrman
Retired Dormant Member

Question 45 PRM adapters

I am looking at purchasing some BSR 45 RPM adapters. They are for use with a BSR UA-15 automatic record changer. The question is: would a 45 RPM adapter for a UA-15 also be compatable for a UA-14? Thanks
Mike.
Old 2nd Nov 2005, 2:27 pm   #2
mickjjo
Rest in Peace

Default Re: regarding 45 PRM adapters

http://www.jukn55.com/other-items-45rpm.html

Well the above site does list an adapter for use with the UA15 and UA15a only, so there must be some difference from the UA14. I didn't even know these things existed! Presumably for the U.S. market only .

Regards, Mick.
Old 2nd Nov 2005, 3:40 pm   #3
mumbles
Triode

Most of the singles made in the USA in the 50's etc were studio mixed so they sounded best when played on a juke. Consequently, when you bought a single it had no center piece, unlike the UK etc. The spindle adaptors were common place, and you quite often see them on record palyers in '50's era movies.

All my own singles are 'juked', then I decided to use some on an old auto change. I hunted all over Illinois trying to find one of these auto change adaptor thingys. Eventually I found two which I paid 40 bucks for. I didn't know then that they were different for whatever make. One worked on my player and the other didn't, so thought it was broken. It was more taking what I could find at the time. The deciding factor as to whether it will work on either or both of those two decks is:- The height of the changer hook on your current spindle, as that activates the adaptor. So, the changer hook need to be at the same height on each. I think you will find most were if they are ten play decks.

The ones on this website look new or pristine, and that ain't a bad deal. Clip in center peices are easy to get.

Mumbles

Last edited by mumbles; 2nd Nov 2005 at 3:49 pm.
Old 2nd Nov 2005, 11:00 pm   #4
Paul Stenning
Administrator

The problem I have had with some clip-in centre pieces (like the ones in the second picture on that website but black) is that the hole in the middle is a bit too big so the record often ends up slightly off-centre - not much but enough too be noticeable with some music. When transfering our collection of 7" singles to MP3 a while ago I removed the clip-in centres and used the adaptor that came with the record deck instead.

Paul Stenning
Forum Admin/Owner and BVWS Webmaster
Old 2nd Nov 2005, 11:56 pm   #5
mumbles
Triode

The deck one is best for doing one single at a time. The yellow ones on that site work most times. I have some of them but they do not expand enough on occasions. The other problem with these centers on auto changers is - when the record drops down, it's the center pieces that are sitting on top of each other and not the record - this causes the top record to stay still due to the weight of the arm while the ones below continue to revolve. Generally, they mostly work. The American cylinder adaptor thingy is quite good tho'.

For badly warped albums, I have actually blu tak-ed them level to the deck - the blu tak stuff does not stick in the groove afterwards. Double sided tape screws the record btw. Reminds me, I must do my Al Bowley album.

Mumbles

Last edited by Darren-UK; 12th Jun 2007 at 9:48 pm. Reason: typos
Old 3rd Nov 2005, 1:57 am   #6
bsrman
Retired Dormant Member

Thanks all. Mumbles, You are totally right about the yellow inserts. I had not long ago purchased a set of 7' 16 RPM records lacking centre pieces. Although just a little tight, I found that the yellow centre inserts fitted into the record centre holes ok; but the real problem is that these yellow inserts protrude a bit WIDER than the records themselves. They are perfectly ok if played singally, but if played on a stack, all records dropped subsequent to the first may stop altogether (like in your case) because of the weight of the tone arm. The problem isn't so severe in my personal case when I use them on my UA-14 (as I probably don't have the tone arm set as high in weight as yours), but what I HAVE noticed is that the records tend to perform a slight "jolt" upon each revolution of the record which is obviously linked to the weight of the tone arm. As a further result, this causes a "bump" in the sound every time the jolt occurs. But obviously the origin and cause of the problem is the same in both our cases.
Closed Thread