UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > Success Stories

Notices

Success Stories If you have successfully repaired or restored a piece of equipment, why not write up what you did and post details here. Particularly if it was interesting, unusual or challenging. PLEASE DO NOT POST REQUESTS FOR HELP HERE!

Closed Thread

Old 15th Aug 2008, 10:56 pm   #1
howard
Nonode

Default 1964 red Hacker Herald RP30 MW/LW 9 transistor

Hello again,

I was given this red Hacker RP30 by Paul "radio gaga" last December along with a blue Hacker Herald VHF. It was in quite good condition, complete with no tears or marks on its leathercloth, but its brass trim was all in poor condition. It didn't work at all and needed one new battery clip.

So I replaced its 3 x AF117s with AF126s, cleaned all pots and switches with Servisol 10, fitted an original battery clip and a couple of PP9s and away it went, picking everything up on both wavebands but it sounded rather distorted so I took it over to Ron Bryan to take a look at its amp board. The quiescent current and the bias on the output transistors was successfully adjusted and the set sounded a lot better but the preset resistor was right at the end of its travel suggesting not all was well. So a suspect Daly electrolytic was taken out and tested and found to be leaky and with a high ESR so that was replaced, the quiescent current and bias redone and it then sounded really good. There are several of these Daly electrolytics on the RP30 amp board and I daresay one or two more of them probably need changing but the set is working perfectly so those have been left in place for the time being.

The chassis was removed and the case, handle and fittings were cleaned with upholstery cleaner. All the brass trim was removed, stripped, polished and revarnished, The red paint on the front grille was replaced with Tamiya acrylic red paint (X-7) which took a while.

This is the second red RP30 that I've restored, it's not quite as nice as the other one but it still looks gorgeous in its red and brass case. It works well, picks up everything on MW/LW and for a 44 year old portable transistor radio, sounds superb.

Howard
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Hacker_RP30_red_front 001.jpg
Views:	200
Size:	84.4 KB
ID:	19181   Click image for larger version

Name:	Hacker_RP30_red_inside 001.jpg
Views:	210
Size:	65.1 KB
ID:	19182   Click image for larger version

Name:	Hacker_RP30_red_rear 001.jpg
Views:	162
Size:	41.4 KB
ID:	19183   Click image for larger version

Name:	Hacker_RP30_red_grille 001.jpg
Views:	176
Size:	49.0 KB
ID:	19184   Click image for larger version

Name:	Hacker_RP30_red_before 001.jpg
Views:	173
Size:	39.8 KB
ID:	19185  

Old 15th Aug 2008, 11:50 pm   #2
mark pirate
Dekatron

Default Re: 1964 red Hacker Herald RP30 MW/LW 9 transistor

Nice job howard, i love these old hackers, imho better than most roberts sets & well
worth restoring as they sound wonderful & well built.
Cheers
Mark
Old 16th Aug 2008, 12:18 pm   #3
howard
Nonode

Hello Mark,

I think the Roberts R404 which came out in 1965 is the nearest spec to the Hacker RP30 but it's not as nice a radio.

BTW this one is s/n 67264 and it does have a handle which is not visible in the pics above ......

Howard
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Hacker_RP30_red_side 001.jpg
Views:	151
Size:	40.4 KB
ID:	19193  
Old 16th Aug 2008, 12:18 pm   #4
GJR 11L
Heptode

Very tidy, especially in the red and I like the idea of replacing the brown paint in between the grille bars with red as used by Hacker themselves on later, RP35 and RP37 models to match their red badge.