UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Other Vintage Household Electrical or Electromechanical Items

Notices

Other Vintage Household Electrical or Electromechanical Items For discussions about other vintage (over 25 years old) electrical and electromechanical household items. See the sticky thread for details.

Closed Thread

Old 4th Oct 2018, 2:12 pm   #1
llama
Octode

Default Fuse adaptors? PULLCAP. ID please

I've had these kicking around for yonks, never knowing what they are - there are dozens. The lettering on the moulded end says "Brit. Pat. 577848 PULLCAP". They came to me in an Erico box but judging by the picture on the side that's a red herring.

They look to me like they would fit on a cylindrical cartridge fuse allowing it to then plug into a slot receptacle.

Can anyone ID them, please? And their use in the old days? Then I'll be offering them down below...
Graham
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	FuseAdpt-1.jpg
Views:	243
Size:	34.8 KB
ID:	170327  
Old 4th Oct 2018, 2:17 pm   #2
Refugee
Dekatron

Default Re: Fuse adaptors? PULLCAP. ID please

They look like cartridge fuse adapters for a domestic fuse panel that was once fitted with rewirable fuses.
Old 4th Oct 2018, 3:05 pm   #3
G8UWM-MildMartin
Heptode

RS components still stock the complete fuseholder:
https://uk.rs-online.com/web/p/rail-...lders/1849272/
Old 4th Oct 2018, 6:30 pm   #4
McMurdo
Dekatron

Used at one time on theatre lighting boards.

They're commonly known as Reyrolle Pullcap fuses.
Old 5th Oct 2018, 7:21 am   #5
8 Tracker
Hexode

As Kevin says, common in theatres. Specifically Strand Tempus dimmer packs. Here they are in situ. These take a 10amp fuse, but different sized holders were available for alternate current ratings.

Mark.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	As bought 5.jpg
Views:	132
Size:	57.7 KB
ID:	170367  
Old 5th Oct 2018, 1:55 pm   #6
m0cemdave
Octode

I'm sure there are some impoverished theatre companies that would bite your hand off for a few of those fuses.
Old 5th Oct 2018, 5:43 pm   #7
IanBland
Hexode

Very widely used in theatre, or were in my day. Not just Strand Tempus, but also the STM and JTM big rack dimmers. 10A for 2.5k circuits and 20A for 5k circuits. Popped frequently when a lamp blew, so we went threw them like something you go through a lot of.

I'm not sure what other manufacturers if any used them, because in my day (until the early mid 90s) literally everybody with a theatre/fixed installation had Strand dimmer racks (STM/JTM), at least in the West End.
Old 15th Oct 2018, 11:04 am   #8
Tractorfan
Dekatron

Location: St. Frajou, l'Isle en Dodon, Haute Garonne, France.(Previously: Ellesmere Port, Cheshire, UK.)
Smile Re: Fuse adaptors? PULLCAP. ID please

Hi,
I think they were available in different sizes, and could be used in 'Wylex' consumer units to replace the rewireable fuses. The colour codes matched too, if I remember correctly.
Cheers, Pete.
Old 15th Oct 2018, 4:32 pm   #9
hannahs radios
Hexode

I'm not sure but I think a now closed shopping arcade in town had some of those in use in a few fuseboxes used with reliable fuses on some circuits and those adapters on others. I think maybe rated at 20 amps which you couldn't get with rewirable fuses
Closed Thread