UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > Success Stories

Notices

Success Stories If you have successfully repaired or restored a piece of equipment, why not write up what you did and post details here. Particularly if it was interesting, unusual or challenging. PLEASE DO NOT POST REQUESTS FOR HELP HERE!

Closed Thread

Old 11th Oct 2010, 8:39 pm   #1
howard
Nonode

Default 1983 Philips CD100 CD player repair

Hello again,

This Philips CD100, apart from bits and pieces, was the only thing I bought at the Tonbridge Audiojumble yesterday. I paid £60 for it and cosmetically it is in mint condition and complete with box but I was told that it wasn't working except that its laser was OK - they usually are on these Philips first generation machines, and this one has an early CDM0 transport.

I got it home, switched it on and attempted to play a disc and the disk hardly moved - it obviously hadn't been used for a very long time so probably the lubrication in the motor had dried up and/or its power supply was poor. I persisted, kept pressing play and eventually it managed to read the TOC but wouldn't navigate past the first track and there was no audio. There was a knocking noise coming from the transport as well which was worrying ....

I took the case off and cleaned all the connectors, retried it and away she went, still knocking but the audio was working OK on both channels and it was now navigating to all tracks, it even played all 15 test tracks on my Burosch test disc and not many machines achieve that. I checked the power supply at the five voltage regulators and four tested OK, but the one on the -3 (DAC) rail was reading very low, with less than -18v input, -31v is the correct voltage. There are a couple of 100uf capacitors in the circuit prior to this regulator so I took the machine over to Ron Bryan to fit a couple of new ones, one was still OK but it was replaced anyway, the second was knackered measuring only 6uf. The input voltage at the -3 rail voltage regulator was rechecked afterwards and it measured just over -31v.

I brought it back home and set about fixing the knocking noise coming from the transport which could have either been a noisy servo or something wrong with the magnetic clamp in the lid. I removed the clamp from the lid and placed it directly on top of a disc, played it and the knocking had gone. Also in the lid was a long flat spring, so I checked its position in the exploded cabinet diagram to find that an accompanying part was missing. There was also a note in the diagram stating that both parts were deleted from later models so I reassembled the lid without the spring, played a disc and it was silent at last. Obviously this spring had proved troublesome so Philips had stopped fitting it.

This CD100 is the nicest one I've seen, it is an early example as it has a Philips bodge inside consisting of an extra PCB with a couple of extra chips on it but it works very well and sounds superb.

Howard
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Philips_CD100_Tonbridge 001.jpg
Views:	928
Size:	49.5 KB
ID:	41359   Click image for larger version

Name:	Philips_CD100_dead_bits 001.jpg
Views:	1163
Size:	8.1 KB
ID:	41360  
Old 11th Oct 2010, 9:17 pm   #2
Sideband
Dekatron

Default Re: 1983 Philips CD100 CD player repair

Does this one have the Sony chipset or the Philips? I thought the one with the piggyback chip was the Sony type but after all this time I may have that the wrong way round. They sound great and there are a suprising number still about.

SB
Old 11th Oct 2010, 9:59 pm   #3
howard
Nonode

Hello Richard,

This one has the Philips chipset, you can see the Philips logos on the chips in the pics below. You can also see the extra PCB tacked onto the top of the board in the second pic, which is much tidier done than the 'fix' seen in the other CD100 we did.

There are indeed a few of these still around, not surprising as mechanically they are second to none in build quality. Nice Philips CD100s and Marantz CD63s always get snapped up for good prices on ebay and there's one German vintage hi-fi website selling CD100s for €800 - €1000 apiece !

Howard
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Philips_CD100_PCB1 001.jpg
Views:	4142
Size:	72.2 KB
ID:	41364   Click image for larger version

Name:	Philips_CD100_PCB2 001.jpg
Views:	1642
Size:	82.3 KB
ID:	41365  
Old 12th Oct 2010, 1:24 pm   #4
howard
Nonode

Here's the circuit diagram for the CD100 / CD63 power supply (and probably all Philips first generation CD players) showing all the voltages on the regulators. The voltage regulator reference and pin numbers are printed on the back of the lower PCB which can be viewed after removal of the bottom covers.

Howard
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	CD63_power_supply 001.jpg
Views:	1255
Size:	64.5 KB
ID:	41377  
Old 14th Oct 2010, 5:46 pm   #5
murphyv310
Dekatron

Certainly remember doing those way back and being on the Philips course in Glasgow which I think was in the Excelsior Hotel. The CD104 was an excellent m/c too and had very nice build quality with just one or two stock faults which usually was the feed through soldered joints on the PCB.
The early Sony CDP-101 was also a remarkable m/c and lasted very well but perhaps not a long as the Philips offerings.
Nice CD Howard!
Old 22nd Oct 2010, 11:58 am   #6
Andrew2
Nonode

Oh I love the Philips 101. My brother had one back in the early/mid 80's and then moved on to the 104. Both really nice designs. At the time, we were flogging the Sony 101 and that was great too - a very sturdy, solid design with a seperate chucking motor IIRC.
At the time I had a Marantz CD54 which suffered from a recurring problem of 'not reading'. A twist of the chassis would put it right, but I never did track it down.
Old 22nd Oct 2010, 12:49 pm   #7
Sideband
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by howard View Post
it is an early example as it has a Philips bodge inside consisting of an extra PCB with a couple of extra chips on it
Ha Ha! Officially it wasn't a 'bodge'. It was an 'Interim circuit change' or 'Official Circuit Change' pending modified boards and/or chips becoming available. TS (Technical Support) department would have been most upset if it had been referred to as a 'bodge'

SB
Old 22nd Oct 2010, 4:06 pm   #8
howard
Nonode

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew2 View Post
Oh I love the Philips 101. My brother had one back in the early/mid 80's and then moved on to the 104. Both really nice designs. At the time, we were flogging the Sony 101 and that was great too - a very sturdy, solid design with a seperate chucking motor IIRC.
At the time I had a Marantz CD54 which suffered from a recurring problem of 'not reading'. A twist of the chassis would put it right, but I never did track it down.
I have the CD63B Marantz version of the Philips CD101 - no 'Interim circuit changes' in that one, Philips had sorted out their chipsets by the time they were built - and apart from cosmetic facelift changes and the CDM1 transport they're exactly the same as the CD100.

I have a couple of the next generation Philips CD104s and the Mission DAD7000 variants and also the Marantz CD54 which is virtually the same machine but built in Japan. They are all well built but the Marantz CD54 stands out as it is totally original and works perfectly, no doubt due to it not having those troublesome griplets in its PCBs. These later models have now become very collectable as well.

I have a Sony CDP101 but that has packed up

Howard
Old 24th Oct 2010, 3:21 pm   #9
radiotircoed
Pentode

I bought a Sony CDP 101 new when they first came out. Was posted to Ascension Island when I had a problem with it. Skipped it in favour of a new model from the states...Wish I'd have kept it...

Bob W
Old 17th Nov 2010, 9:23 pm   #10
howard
Nonode

Quote:
..........I have a Sony CDP101 but that has packed up ....... Howard
I have a working Sony CDP-101 now, it has had both its troublesome Sanyo STK6922 motor driver chips replaced with the more reliable Sony BX1201 chips and its drawer mechanism has been regreased so it should be OK.

Comparing it with the Philips CD100, build quality is just as good, ergonomically with its remote control, soft touch controls, random access and digital display it is superior, but sound quality wise the Philips is a much nicer sounding machine and that IMHO is what really counts.

Howard
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	sony_CDP-101_inside 001.jpg
Views:	1379
Size:	61.2 KB
ID:	42856  
Old 22nd Nov 2010, 12:30 am   #11
Alvin
Heptode

This thread had me reaching for my Marantz CD63B purchased new in 1983 and in regular use for about 7 years until I could no longer resist the lure of a remote controlled model.

I gave it a good dusting down and popped in a CD flooding the room with music then noticing it actually said Marantz CD63 not CD63B on the top I wondered if despite the handbook which I still have being for a 63B I'd actually been sold a 63 so switched it off and turned it over to find a sticky label designating it a 63B.

All well and good then to my astonishment I noticed I had never removed the two transit screws despite them having clear labels under the screw heads and a clear instruction in the manual so this is one man who has to confess to not always reading instructions!!

Friends and colleagues in the broadcasting sphere used to marvel at the sound coming from it playing through a Quad 44/404 MkII and a pair of Celestion SL6s so would there have been any discernible sonic difference had the screws been removed?

I left them in place for today's quick test and these days my ears aren't what they were so I doubt I could have detected any subtle changes
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	CD63B - 1.jpg
Views:	991
Size:	61.0 KB
ID:	43050   Click image for larger version

Name:	CD63B - 3.jpg
Views:	544
Size:	97.2 KB
ID:	43051   Click image for larger version

Name:	CD63B - 4a.jpg
Views:	584
Size:	118.2 KB
ID:	43052   Click image for larger version

Name:	CD63B - 5.jpg
Views:	660
Size:	110.3 KB
ID:	43053  
Old 22nd Nov 2010, 1:05 am   #12
howard
Nonode

Hello Alvin,

I've got a Marantz CD63B as well, it's the same as the Philips CD100 with the facelift case of the Philips CD101, in black. The CD63B model was built for the Japanese market (as marked on the label), the earlier CD63B with the CD100 case was dark grey in colour and was never sold here. A few of the later models were sold in the UK, maybe because they weren't selling well in Japan.

The transit screws screw into the chassis of the rubber mounted CD mechanism to stop it from bouncing around in transit, in the case of the top loading CD63B I would imagine that the only effect would be to impair its resistance to shock, but in the case of the front loading models like the Marantz CD73 they also prevent the tray from opening. Sound quality shouldn't have been affected.

Howard
Old 22nd Nov 2010, 1:36 am   #13
paulsherwin

There are quite a few cosmetic differences between that CD63B and my CD63, most notably the different LEDs, as well as the different printed graphics, lid design and case colour. Personally I think mine looks much better, but then I'm biased
Old 22nd Nov 2010, 9:27 pm   #14
howard
Nonode

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulsherwin View Post
....my CD63,...case colour. Personally I think mine looks much better, but then I'm biased
I like the champagne gold CD63 too but I don't have one yet.

To complete the CD100 variants, here is a pic of the early CD100 sold in Japan as the Marantz CD63B in a dark grey case ....

http://www.audio-heritage.jp/MARANTZ/player/cd-63.html

and lastly the US market Magnavox FD-1000 ....

http://img.cafe-moondance.com/20081103_386751.jpg

Howard
Old 22nd Nov 2010, 10:34 pm   #15
Alvin
Heptode

Quote:
To complete the CD100 variants, here is a pic of the early CD100 sold in Japan as the Marantz CD63B in a dark grey case
and like my example the designation on the top of the deck is CD63 not CD63B.

Alvin
Old 5th Dec 2010, 12:23 am   #16
Alvin
Heptode

Quote:
I removed the clamp from the lid and placed it directly on top of a disc, played it and the knocking had gone.
Hey thanks for the hot tip, Howard! Apart from otherwise being in excellent condition my one pound bargain car boot sale CD100 was also knocking and googling threw up another forum's q & a attributing the noise to faulty bearings supposedly sealed for life and therefore not curable but on reading your post I removed the spring you mentioned - like yours no sign of an accompanying part - and hey presto it now runs very sweetly.

Thanks again,

Alvin
Old 30th Jan 2011, 8:45 pm   #17
ben
Dekatron

I'm reviving this thread as I have a tale to tell.

This morning was my weekly fleamarket visit. By 1pm most sellers were clearing up. I noticed a CD100 with an ITT casseiver on the ground near a stall. Then, the owner suddenly put his foot upon the receiver and was clearly about to kick it down the road! I daresay the CD100 would have been next.

At this, I went over and asked him how much for the two. After some haggling I walked away with the two for 5€!

Got them home and before doing anything else I cleaned the optics on the CD100. Plugged in and tried a CD. Worked first time! I 'm especially blown away by the low end.

I'm still sort of in a daze over this, hate to imagine the fate of this gear had I arrived a few seconds later - destined to be trashed in a rain sodden back street (that sounds a bit like a typical saturday night out here! )

One thing I can't quite work out is the front LED display, a user manual would be useful if anyone has a scan they wouldn't mind posting here or emailing... presumably the upper one ('Progr') is the TOC/total tracks and the lower, the one currently playing?
Old 30th Jan 2011, 8:56 pm   #18
paulsherwin

Tremendous find.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ben View Post
One thing I can't quite work out is the front LED display, a user manual would be useful if anyone has a scan they wouldn't mind posting here or emailing... presumably the upper one ('Progr') is the TOC/total tracks and the lower, the one currently playing?
The bottom line of LEDs shows the track being played. The upper line gives a basic programming facility. If you want the CD to start on track 4, press the Select button 4 times then press Play. If you want to play tracks 4 and 6 press Select 4 times then press Store, press Select 2 times and press Store, then press Play. You'll soon get the hang of it. This obviously only works for the first 15 tracks on the CD - after that all you can do is play the tracks sequentially.
Old 30th Jan 2011, 9:07 pm   #19
Alvin
Heptode

Quote:
Originally Posted by ben View Post
After some haggling I walked away with the two for 5€!
Oh despite getting the ITT cassiever thrown in that does sound a tad expensive to me considering my CD100 only cost me one pound

Seriously though well done Ben on getting such a bargain - as I've mentioned before I found mine lying in the dirt at a car boot market and the seller not knowing what it was only asked 2 quid for it but I felt duty bound to haggle the price down by half........

Alvin
Old 30th Jan 2011, 10:37 pm   #20
ben
Dekatron

Thanks for the info Paul. This deck's LED display reminds me of what was up to now my earliest CD player - a DUAL CD-120 front loader which I've also seen badged Thomson. that unit also has a VFD in addition to the LEDs. I will have to overhaul it one of these days.

And Alvin you're right mine was pricey compared to yours! However, the guy asked 20€ at first... So, after my kindly pointing out that two minutes earlier he'd been about to trash it, I had a strong position in the bargaining ;-)
Closed Thread