UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Amateur and Military Radio

Notices

Vintage Amateur and Military Radio Amateur/military receivers and transmitters, morse, and any other related vintage comms equipment.

Closed Thread

Old 26th Sep 2010, 4:37 pm   #1
markhardy
Retired Dormant Member

Default AF117 is there a definitive answer!

Just about to start a major restore on another old sailor, sorry that should be Sailor (the lower case S could easily be mis-interpreted!)

It's very rough and has been battered about a fair bit, and the cracked glass could be the big stumbling block, bad news is its full of AF117's. Interestingly I've got several early sailors, oops I mean Sailors!, all late 50's early 60's, all with AF 117's and all are still going great, wonder if the marine environment somehow inhibits whiskering a bit?

It did crackle into life for a very short while, prior to smoke billowing out of a resistor!

Not bothered particularly about totally authenticity, as long as it works as well as it was intended.

So is there a definitive replacement to the AF117, or a near as damn it shove it in and it'll perform virtually the same?

There's 4 AF117's, 1 AF101, a couple of OC604 and a couple of AC106 doing the audio bit. having looked at the schematic I suspect the AF101 is kerputt as well

Have searched and read through a few threads on here on this subject, but still none the wiser!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	16t.jpg
Views:	133
Size:	107.3 KB
ID:	42964  
Old 26th Sep 2010, 4:54 pm   #2
paulsherwin

Default Re: AF117 is there a definative answer!

The AF124 is the definitive AF117 replacement, though AF125-7s appear to be identical. My Towers suggests an AF124 as a sub for an AF102 too.

A large number of other transistors will also work including some silicon types, depending on the circuit, but the AF124 is your safest bet. They crop up on eBay now and then.

An AC128 is the best bet for the AC106s and OC604s, but again a large number of types are likely to work. There's no particular reason to think these will be bad though.
Old 26th Sep 2010, 6:31 pm   #3
markhardy
Retired Dormant Member

Default Re: AF117 is there a definitive answer!

cheers paul. off on a mission...

seen someone selling 10 sets of tested match pairs of 128's cheaper than some folks want for one, same with the 124's so going to buy a pile, use what i need, any leftovers I'll post on here at cost

just spent 3 hours on that radio - managed to remove the grub screws from 3 knobs - but not the knobs and only stabbed myself twice!

this one might take a while!
Old 26th Sep 2010, 6:34 pm   #4
paulsherwin

The prices for these sorts of parts do vary a lot. AF125s are often cheaper than AF124s for some reason. You should be able to buy them for less than £1 each if you buy 5 or 10.
Old 26th Sep 2010, 11:14 pm   #5
peetleetech
Retired Dormant Member

Mark, be a bit careful when changing the AF117 for the AF124. As I remember they were used mainly in the IF stages, the AF102 and AF106 were front end amplifiers. When I was a lot younger I spent hours swapping transistors in Namibia trying for better sensitivity on SW. In the earlier sets the higher gain often resulted in instability. A useful trick on those transistors was to slowly warm them up with a soldering iron. They suddenly started working and then stopped as they cooled down. Pinpointed the fault exactly, I even had one that just continued to work, still does, I think.
Old 26th Sep 2010, 11:40 pm   #6
Jonster
Heptode

Quite often giving the offending AF11x device a good beating with a screwdriver or other implement will cause them to burst into life - this 'cure' is often short lived but useful nonetheless for identifying the culprits!
Old 27th Sep 2010, 8:22 am   #7
mark pirate
Dekatron

Don't forget, cutting the screen wire will often bring the transistor back to life!

Mark
Old 27th Sep 2010, 7:29 pm   #8
'LIVEWIRE?'
Rest in Peace

Personally, I replace AF117s on sight, usually with AF127s, especially in any radio in which they're hard to get at.
Old 27th Sep 2010, 10:43 pm   #9
DAVEHALL
Retired Dormant Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mark pirate View Post
Don't forget, cutting the screen wire will often bring the transistor back to life!

Mark
Yonks ago - whilst in PO Telephones( forerunner to BT) , we were always behind the times in modern devices . But we had the advent of the AF devices- and a wonderful cure - ( but then we only went up to 552khz) - if a problem on a board with collector/screen s/c - cut the earth - we did ,it got stuff working ,and we never got any further problems .
Old 27th Sep 2010, 10:49 pm   #10
AlanBeckett
Rest in Peace

Dave,
Didn't you use OC170s?
I don't suppose that it made any difference, and they were obsolete in my time (1968 onwards) for new designs, but the old codgers used to tell stories about them.
Alan
Old 28th Sep 2010, 1:06 am   #11
paulsherwin

Cutting the screen wire of an AF117 isn't a permanent repair. The tin whiskers are still inside and still growing. At some stage other internal shorts will occur.
Old 28th Sep 2010, 5:46 pm   #12
robjkmannering
Retired Dormant Member

Then of course there is the other old dodge mentioned a number of times elsewhwere of connecting E,B and C together and dischrging a fairly big cap charged to 50v between them and screen. Personally, had a lot of sucsess with this and transistors repaired in this way are still going strong after several years.
Of course it doesnt prevent the whiskers growing but someone mentioned the discharging action may carbonise the ends.
Dont know if that theory is correct, but seems to work in practise.
Regards,
Rob.
Old 28th Sep 2010, 8:46 pm   #13
DAVEHALL
Retired Dormant Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlanBeckett View Post
Dave,
Didn't you use OC170s?
I don't suppose that it made any difference, and they were obsolete in my time (1968 onwards) for new designs, but the old codgers used to tell stories about them.
Alan
Possibly - but I can only remember the AF solution, it stuck in my mind as a bodge . I got out to work on more modern radio kit in the late 70's . This was on 62 type -the only sort of fault we used to get on channel kit .(Apart from the dreaded plastic connecting loom) .
Old 28th Sep 2010, 8:50 pm   #14
DAVEHALL
Retired Dormant Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulsherwin View Post
Cutting the screen wire of an AF117 isn't a permanent repair. The tin whiskers are still inside and still growing. At some stage other internal shorts will occur.
Give you an idea of how mich of a technical backwater GPO were in in the 70's - AF types were new on the scene and this problem had only come to the technical advice section . When I left in the late 70's , no cure had been mentioned .Don't forget that some equipment in those days still used solder in CV2000 VALVES .
Old 2nd Oct 2010, 11:21 am   #15
saxmaniac
Heptode

Another bodge I have posted on previously is to heat the case with a soldering iron for as long as you dare, you'll kill it or cure it!
Old 20th Nov 2010, 9:51 am   #16
Billy T
Retired Dormant Member

I consider that there is too much risk in the cap-flashing or soldering iron 'cures' and since AF117s and their ilk are an endangered species these day, it behoves us to protect them if we can.

I have had great success using two or three used mini-9volt batteries in series, joining ebc together (properly, by soldering if you can) and applying the voltage between them and the screen wire which connects to the can.

You are only trying to fuse tin-whiskers of microscopic thickness, and this method simple melts them, hopefully leaving a small ball on either end to inhibit regrowth. The cap-discharge method killed the transistors completely on several attempted cures and I think there is just too much energy floating around for comfort with that system.

You could probably even do this in-situ if access is good, just bridge ebc temporarily, nip the screen wire, apply the volts then reconnect the screen and remove the bridging. This has worked well for me on a number of used and NOS AF117s and I believe it is much safer and more reliable than bashing, heating or blasting!

Cheers

Billy
Old 2nd Dec 2010, 9:53 am   #17
Don Collie jnr
Retired Dormant Member

Look, this may sound silly, but has anyone tried removing the AF117 [et al] can and manually removing the tin whiskers? The can could be separated using a dremel saw, carefully - you have nothing to lose.

Don.
Old 2nd Dec 2010, 11:51 am   #18
Darren-UK
Retired Dormant Member

I've unsoldered the cans, removed all the grease (taking the whiskers with it), replaced with new grease and refitted the can. This can be done with the transistor in situ, providing it's accessible enough. I haven't always bothered to refill with new grease either and it seems to make no difference.
Old 2nd Dec 2010, 12:03 pm   #19
'LIVEWIRE?'
Rest in Peace

I haven't tried any of the above, since, as stated in my post #8 above, I prefer to replace any AF11x transistors with the equivalent AF12x series in any 'case', although even those are getting scare now.
Old 2nd Dec 2010, 2:25 pm   #20
kalee20
Dekatron

Trouble with removing the can, is that you expose the insides.

Germanium corrodes in moist air - unlike silicon, which it if does anything just forms a tough thin oxide layer over itself.

That's why germanium devices are in hermetic packages. A few early ones were in plastic packages, but they did not last long before dying.
Closed Thread