UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Amateur and Military Radio

Notices

Vintage Amateur and Military Radio Amateur/military receivers and transmitters, morse, and any other related vintage comms equipment.

Closed Thread

Old 10th Nov 2010, 11:17 pm   #1
paulrichard
Retired Dormant Member

Default Wireless Operator's duties in pathfinders?

I'm researching my late fathers time with 35 squadron based at RAF Graveley I am trying to find out what his typical duties would have been, especially as radio silence was all important.
There would have been a separate signals briefing. What frequencies were used to remain in contact with their control and was this at their base or one of the more central stations? If acting as Master Bomber would they use the same tx/rx 1154/1155 sets for contacting others on the same mission? or was there a VHF set? Is there a book or website that goes into such detail?
I realise it’s a wide-open query but would appreciate anything that goes towards my understanding of what he did.
My thanks in advance
Old 26th Nov 2010, 5:27 pm   #2
Alf Fisher
Hexode

Default Re: w/op duties in pathfinders

Hi Paul,
You don't say how far you have got with your research but you may be able to get a copy of your fathers service record from the Air Historical Branch. I think it would be free if your mother applied for it but if that's not an option, then for you there is a charge. This would then pin down some dates from which you can find out what aircraft were used on 35Sqn at RAF Graveley. There is lots to read by Googling 35Sqn or RAF Gravely. Hope this helps.
Regards,
Alf
Old 26th Nov 2010, 6:49 pm   #3
John H.
Retired Dormant Member

Default Re: Wireless Operator's duties in pathfinders?

Hi Paul,
You may well have the following info but here goes any way;

35 Sqn (Madras Presidency)
8 Group PFF Force (Pathfinder)
Squadron code `TL`
Flew Halifaxes from 1940 to 1944. Lancasters from 1944 to 1949.

The T1154 transmitter covers frequencies of 2.35 Mc/s to 16.7 Mc/s (HF ranges)
and 200Kc/s to 500 Kc/s (MF range). Any individual frequencies within these ranges could be used as required for long range CW (morse) communications back to Bomber Command HQ.
By 1944 a VHF set Type TR1143 (100Mc/s to 124Mc/s) would most likely have been installed as well for close range up to 125 miles. ie enroute/sortie. All subject to radio silence directives of course.
Hope this helps, John.
Old 27th Nov 2010, 1:09 pm   #4
Top Cap
Octode

I have seen small round black die-cast boxes with an inbuilt switch and morse key. I think the switch selected either a port or starboard light so that aircraft could communicate with each other in silence. Good old Morse and no doubt it was one of the required skills of the wireless operator.
Old 27th Nov 2010, 6:32 pm   #5
HamishBoxer
Dekatron

As TC says that is correct,believe i have one of these in my collection.Seen odd ones on ebay.

David GM8JET
Old 29th Nov 2010, 3:37 pm   #6
RobinBirch
Hexode

I believe that the wireless operator also monitored the fishpond display. This sat to the LHS of the R1155 and was connected to the H2S. It basically gave a downwards view of the air below you so that you could see what aircraft were moving around. An attempt to see night fighters sneaking in below you.

Robin
Old 3rd Dec 2010, 10:45 pm   #7
Sparky67
Heptode

According to AIX the 1944 RT callsign for RAF Graveley was BRISHBRUSH, which may have been used on the approach and tower freqs, and possibly on VHF by that time. Certainly a callsign your relative would have known well !

Some further info HERE and HERE

It would be interesting to know where the operational messages were sent to and received at, whether it was the Sqn's base or to a higher level organisation.
Old 3rd Dec 2010, 11:00 pm   #8
Darren-UK
Retired Dormant Member

That first link just leads to a log-on page for me.
Old 3rd Dec 2010, 11:20 pm   #9
Sparky67
Heptode

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darren-UK View Post
That first link just leads to a log-on page for me.
Yes - my mistake - I was logged in when I copied the links. It looks like that page is reserved for forum members. Worth joining if RAF wartime callsigns are of interest.

Sparky.
Closed Thread