UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Tape (Audio), Cassette, Wire and Magnetic Disc Recorders and Players

Notices

Vintage Tape (Audio), Cassette, Wire and Magnetic Disc Recorders and Players Open-reel tape recorders, cassette recorders, 8-track players etc.

Old 12th Jan 2024, 9:45 pm   #1
Steve_P
Dekatron

Default Brenell Three Star deck - Help

I am sure this machine is out to get me!

It came here with an EM84 that had gone to air and a deck that was solid. I oiled, greased and freed the keys. Did the electronics and now the capstan and idler work ok but that is all. Having never seen one of these before, I reassembled but the spindles are driving me mad.

On the rewind (to the left I assume!) the belt was stretched and so I put the one on from the counter which was also too big. On the take up (left spindle) it goes ‘backwards’ on rewind. On forward it does nowt and does not take up the tape on playback either. It has what appears to be a thick belt to the drive pulley which is in between the two.

Also there is no link to the speed control from the front knob.

How does this mechanism work and what have I missed….

Help!

Cheers,

Steve P.
Old 13th Jan 2024, 3:21 pm   #2
Steve_P
Dekatron

Default Re: Brenell Three Star deck - Help

Hi Gang - Sussed it

Found a diagram of the whole deck on line…..

I admit I made a mistake …

Steve P.
Old 13th Jan 2024, 3:47 pm   #3
Nickthedentist
Dekatron

Well done, Steve! Pic for us?
Nickthedentist is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 13th Jan 2024, 4:08 pm   #4
Steve_P
Dekatron

I have a You-Tube channel and will put the whole thing on there when it is done …

https://youtube.com/@Steveuk405?si=eJyV0o1fI1J04Tlq

Cheers,

Steve P