UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Test Gear and Workshop Equipment

Notices

Vintage Test Gear and Workshop Equipment For discussions about vintage test gear and workshop equipment such as coil winders.

Old 26th Mar 2024, 12:22 pm   #21
Craig Sawyers
Dekatron

Default Re: Type 13A 'scope, full brightness on lamp limiter!

Age 15 I hoiked the 13A up a flight of stone steps, and put it on a bench in our porch.

Over half a century later, there is 100% of no way I could do this now. And heavier gear/boatanchors that 10 years ago were no problem for me, I need to rope in the assistance of my long-suffering wife.

Craig
Old 26th Mar 2024, 1:50 pm   #22
Cobaltblue

Can we stay on topic please.

Further off topic posts will just be deleted.

Cheers

Mike T
Cobaltblue is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 26th Mar 2024, 6:59 pm   #23
Diabolical Artificer
Dekatron

With any old scope especially one of this age before powering it up I'd inspect it minutely looking for obvious burnt components, physically leaky caps, gone to air valves, wires off etc. I'd then check the mains fuse, test the power tfmr for shorts, test each electrolytic for leakage current, reform or change. I'd then re-seat every valve by jiggling it about a bit. Check all pots & switch's/clean, giving them a good jiggle back & forth.

While I doing all this I'd check a schematic/manuel so I have an idea of the power supply, EHT supply & potential divider that feeds the CRT. Check that too.

Only after all this would I power it up on a variac & LL whilst chucking every meter I have at the power supply to check all the rails whilst powering it up.

Andy.
Old 26th Mar 2024, 7:59 pm   #24
buggies
Heptode

If you don't still have a stock of 100W bulbs then wire a second holder in parallel with the first and use two 60s?
Old 27th Mar 2024, 9:37 am   #25
Craig Sawyers
Dekatron

Regarding the OP's budget for a Variac, it takes time and lurking on auction sites (not just the obvious eBay), but there are bargains to be had out there. Most I've paid was £60 for a boxed 5A one with meters.

Craig
Old 27th Mar 2024, 10:21 am   #26
GMB
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig Sawyers View Post
Amazing that the hernia inducing Hartley 13A is still there. When they were available pretty much new when released by the Ministry back in the late 60's to early 70's this was my first ever oscilloscope
Mine too! I bought mine from Smiths in Lisle Street and planned to take it home on tube and train - but after about 5 yards I realised I was in trouble. Rescued by my dad in a taxi!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig Sawyers View Post
The thing that is in its favour is that the CRT is true dual gun.
Sorry to dissapoint but it isn't dual gun. It uses a beam splitter at the Y plates - which is why there is more cross-talk than you might like.

The 13A has a huge switch-on surge which is why you must fit anti-surge fuses or they just go bang. (Rather like big torroids like variacs.) Not sure how lamp-limiter gets on with that - but badly I suspect.
GMB is offline   Reply With Quote