UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Radio (domestic)

Notices

Vintage Radio (domestic) Domestic vintage radio (wireless) receivers only.

Closed Thread

Old 20th Jan 2010, 7:51 pm   #1
MrPaddy
Retired Dormant Member

Default Ekco Type U83 Receiver

Hi,

I was wondering if anyone has heard of a Ekco radio type U83 Receiver. I haven't been very successfull finding any information on this particular type. I have attached some pictures if it is of any help.
I'm particularly interested in knowing if the lamps (like the one in the picture) are still available. I've heard different type of radios use different models of lamps, but I'm no expert.

Any help would be appeciated.

Thanks.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC02500.jpg
Views:	232
Size:	47.4 KB
ID:	31929   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC02506.jpg
Views:	153
Size:	68.1 KB
ID:	31930   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC02514.jpg
Views:	156
Size:	27.3 KB
ID:	31931   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC02517.jpg
Views:	145
Size:	29.4 KB
ID:	31932  
Old 20th Jan 2010, 10:37 pm   #2
Darren-UK
Retired Dormant Member

Default Re: Ekco Type U83 Receiver

Hi and welcome to the forums.

The U83 is likely to be an export model, going by the scales marked in kilo/megacycles and the mains supply ranges. Export radios are notoriously difficult to collate information on, although it sometimes transpires they're little more than a variant of a domestic model - often with Shortwave, or an extra SW band, replacing Longwave.

Be aware that the letter U indicates this is a 'live chassis' radio, meaning the chassis is connected to one side of the mains supply. Do not connect this radio to the mains supply and/or attempt any work on the chassis whilst it is connected to the mains, regardless of whether the radio is switched on or off.

Lamps. The devices you've illustrated are 'valves' aka 'tubes' in the United States and a few other countries. Contrary to popular belief these devices give little trouble, so may we ask why you apparently wish to replace them?

In saying that, your radio probably uses a UL41 valve (the codes are marked on them, unless they've worn off) and this one can be troublesome. In a nutshell, the UL41 is the valve which drives the loudspeaker.

Hope that helps for starters.
Old 20th Jan 2010, 10:55 pm   #3
Brian R Pateman
Nonode

This is the export version of the U76, the main difference being the scale markings . I'm pretty sure that the valve line-up is the same.

You can find service information by clicking on the link at the top right hand corner of this page. It will cost £1.99 for an instant download and helps to fund the forum.

This set does use the UL41 output valve and will require some other components changing too.

The release date for the U76 was October 1948 and it would have set you back £14 13s 5d plus purchase tax.

Regards,
Old 20th Jan 2010, 11:33 pm   #4
chipp1968
Rest in Peace

I quite like the look of these sets ,It appears that the speaker grill moulding was used in more than one model and even a TV that i have here .
Old 22nd Jan 2010, 7:52 pm   #5
MrPaddy
Retired Dormant Member

Thanks to all for your comments and feedback.
I'm not very familiar with vintage radios, but have been asked to enquiry about this particular one. My dad inherited it from his dad and it seems the lamp has blown and he was looking for a replacement (or so he said)
This information will definetly help me to start my investigatiion.
Thanks again!
Closed Thread