UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Tape (Audio), Cassette, Wire and Magnetic Disc Recorders and Players

Notices

Vintage Tape (Audio), Cassette, Wire and Magnetic Disc Recorders and Players Open-reel tape recorders, cassette recorders, 8-track players etc.

Closed Thread

Old 4th Oct 2016, 12:33 pm   #21
jamesperrett
Octode

Default Re: Audio cassettes - fleshing out info on the genre

To follow on from Tony's post...

Another use of these data cassettes was for extremely low speed data logging in harsh environments. We used to use a system made by Sea Data in the USA which had a stepper motor driving the capstan. I think it had 4 tracks across the width of the tape and one bit was written to each track for each step of the motor. These would often be deployed for a few weeks or more at the bottom of the sea and the chassis looked as if it had been cast from a single piece of metal.

To read these tapes we had a very industrial looking cassette player which ran at high speed.
Old 4th Oct 2016, 7:57 pm   #22
stevehertz
Dekatron

Lots of answers - in addition to my own specific questions - that are very interesting. Thanks guys.
Old 4th Oct 2016, 8:59 pm   #23
Beobloke
Heptode

On the subject of the hi-fi microcassette deck, I bought a Sanyo RD-XM1 last year. It was new old stock and came with a demonstration METAL microcassette. After a bit of work to re-lubricate a couple of bits of the (tiny) mechanism, it works well and it's really not bad at all!

Just in case anyone fancies one, the seller still appears to have 3 for sale for £59.99 each - I wonder where he got them all from?!
Closed Thread