UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Tape (Audio), Cassette, Wire and Magnetic Disc Recorders and Players

Notices

Vintage Tape (Audio), Cassette, Wire and Magnetic Disc Recorders and Players Open-reel tape recorders, cassette recorders, 8-track players etc.

Closed Thread

Old 18th Sep 2016, 7:02 pm   #1
stuart_morgan_64
Heptode

Default Brenell tape heads

I am looking at a Brenell Mark 5 M Series 3. It has all the speeds I need, also the reel sizes. Only problem is it's only two track. Are heads available to make into a 4 track, only require playback. Thanks
Old 19th Sep 2016, 6:53 am   #2
Diabolical Artificer
Dekatron

Default Re: Brenell tape heads

Oddly enough I found this video yesterday https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VeKgJdCgvSU
this looks like a two track version same as yours. I'm no expert on R2R's and Brenell's but AFAIK four track came in later than these machines and was either on domestic gear to fit more stuff on a tape or probably done first on "pro" machines for multi tracking.

I think by the time 4 track came in, Brennel, were on their last legs or long gone. See herehttp://www.schimmel.talktalk.net/tape/brenzone/brenell.htm

Andy.
Old 19th Sep 2016, 8:40 am   #3
P.Pilcher
Pentode

No, I don't think Brenell were on their last legs when 4 track heads became available as my STB2 which I purchased in 1965 was fitted with one as an alternative playback head so that four track tapes could be handled. It was several years later that I heard that Brenell was in trouble, so I telephoned them when they were still trading and ordered some spares which I hoped would keep my machine working into the future. They have.

P.P.
Old 19th Sep 2016, 10:33 am   #4
DOFFERY
Retired Dormant Member

There are many 4 track heads available,it is just a question of fitting to a particular deck.

Colin.
Old 19th Sep 2016, 10:41 am   #5
brenellic2000
Octode

Brenell's head block from the Mk.4 of 1957 has the capacity for 4 heads of whatever the user wanted but the amp was mono. They first fitted 1/4-track on the 3-Star in 1960 but 1/4-track Mk.5 of all marks always were rare - they usually had a tiny slide switch below the head block such as the STB or IC as few Brenell users wanted 1/4-track.

Your best bet is a decent STB1 or STB2 with 2-track record/replay as standard and switchable 1/4-track replay. They are mind boggling decks!

Brenell's (Ferrograph and just about every one else's) financial troubles came in the late 1960s/early 1970s faced with Japanese competition and a decimated domestic user market thanks to the cassette.

Finding good Bogen heads and Papst motors which are not open circuit is a major problem. The old 'gold' Mk.5 series 1 Brenell heads and BT-H/AEI motors last forever!

Good luck!
Old 19th Sep 2016, 3:09 pm   #6
ricard
Octode

Are the particular Papst motors used by Brenell known for going open circuit?
Old 19th Sep 2016, 3:25 pm   #7
DOFFERY
Retired Dormant Member

Yes Ricard, especially after long periods of inactivity.

Colin
Old 19th Sep 2016, 4:40 pm   #8
reelguy
Heptode

Brenells have always been a favourite of mine due to being very versatile.
4 speeds, space for 4 heads. etc.
Couple of quick pics of my Brenell STB1.. { Looks like it needs a clean }
First three heads are 2 track stereo and hopefully you can see the fourth head is stereo 4 track { playback }

Your deck should have space for an extra head and not necessarily a brenell /bogen type.
You should be able to fit a 4 track head from another recorder with a bit of ingenuity with possibly some alterations to the electronics. Just a thought .

I haven't used my Brenell STB1 lately as I noticed the speed was dropping so I will need to check it out when I have time . I have some spares decks so maybe I can swap over the capstan motor if that is found to be faulty.

Peter W...Reelguy.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF2286.jpg
Views:	374
Size:	72.5 KB
ID:	130275   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF2290.jpg
Views:	459
Size:	81.3 KB
ID:	130276   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF2288.jpg
Views:	256
Size:	61.4 KB
ID:	130277  
Old 19th Sep 2016, 5:36 pm   #9
stuart_morgan_64
Heptode

I didn't get the one I was looking at in the end, I have lots of tapes to check through, and some to copy. It looks your advice re STB1 or STB2 with the 4 track option would be my best tape. 15ips isn't of a major concern. It's domestic tapes that need going through. Thank you for all the comments.
Old 19th Sep 2016, 5:41 pm   #10
stuart_morgan_64
Heptode

I shall keep my eye out for one.
Old 20th Sep 2016, 2:06 pm   #11
brenellic2000
Octode

As Colin and Peter say (morning all) almost any head can be fitted to a Brenell with simple engineering. The superb UK-made Phi Magnetronic (Marriott pattern) heads ceased production in 2010 - these were almost a direct fit. The Nortronic heads are l believe still available but you'll need a deep pocket.

As Colin rightly says, use them regularly to keep them in fine fettle - I've got far too many Brenells for my own good! Converting to AEI motors is quite another matter but it is still essentially the same deck-plate.

Most semi-pro STBs were worked hard (they had more powerful motors) so are more likely to be worn out... the 10-1/2" model is rare but worth getting ... as is the Mk.6/610/IC-2000 which use an upgraded 4-head Mk.5/STB deck... but they still suffer the Papst/Bogen issue. The Type 19 is again 4-head... enjoy!

Barry
Closed Thread