UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Audio (record players, hi-fi etc)

Notices

Vintage Audio (record players, hi-fi etc) Amplifiers, speakers, gramophones and other audio equipment.

Closed Thread

Old 28th Aug 2019, 7:14 am   #1
BulgingCap
Pentode

Default Acoustic Research speakers

I have a pair of AR speakers that have no model number attached. I cannot find anything resembling them on the net. The label on the base has a serial number with an 'AU' prefix, presumably suggesting that they were a version intended for Australia which is where I bought them.
They have two dissimilar 8" woofers and a 3 1/2" dome tweeter.
It is not clear whether they were manufactured in the US or the UK, or in fact assembled in Australia.
The plinths and the top are simply painted MDF and are of a pretty shoddy manufacture. I intend to replace both with some decent local timber as the plinth is screwed on and the top is simply pushed onto 4 nylon pins.
The wrap-around speaker cloth is a sewn tube with draw strings top and bottom. This feature explains why it was not until after purchase that I discovered all the woofers had rotten surrounds. The seller was most emphatic that "they were perfect and sounded wonderful..." but as I only paid a few dollars for them I didn't return for a row.
BC
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	MVC-444F.jpg
Views:	206
Size:	49.0 KB
ID:	189019   Click image for larger version

Name:	MVC-445F.jpg
Views:	203
Size:	69.2 KB
ID:	189020   Click image for larger version

Name:	MVC-446F.jpg
Views:	204
Size:	80.2 KB
ID:	189021  
Old 16th Jan 2020, 5:21 pm   #2
Lance G
Triode

Default Re: Acoustic Research speakers

Did you ever find out what these were ?
Old 18th Jan 2020, 11:22 am   #3
BulgingCap
Pentode

No I didn't. I have not got around to making some nice timber tops and plinth either. They are running off a big Denon PMA2000 MOSFET amp and I like the sound.
I will have another go at finding some info now you have reminded me!
Regards, BC
Old 18th Jan 2020, 6:54 pm   #4
Lance G
Triode

Check out "The classic speaker pages". Acoustic Research forum.

A wealth of AR speaker information.

Ask and I feel sure they will tell you. (They may be AR94 ?).

Make sure the foam woofer/driver surrounds are still OK. (Not perished).

Last edited by Lance G; 18th Jan 2020 at 7:02 pm.
Old 19th Jan 2020, 3:08 pm   #5
BulgingCap
Pentode

Thanks for that info Lance.
I had to replace the surrounds on all 4 woofers, as I mentioned in post #1. The person who sold the speakers to me deceived me as to their condition, and because of the 'wrap-around' speaker cloth I was not able to check at the time. I did pay AU$10 for the pair though (I think... or may have been $20) so 'looking a gift horse' etc
BC
Old 19th Jan 2020, 3:39 pm   #6
BulgingCap
Pentode

Lance, you are a star!
I don't know why I failed to find the type number of these speakers before. I found pictures of what was said to be the whole range of AR over the years and none resembled the 'sock' covered type. AR94s they are. The 'AU' in the type number sticker suggests that they were intended for Australia, which is where I found them.
Thanks again, BC
Old 19th Jan 2020, 4:03 pm   #7
Lance G
Triode

Silly old bu**er that I am, I missed the;

"The wrap-around speaker cloth is a sewn tube with draw strings top and bottom. This feature explains why it was not until after purchase that I discovered all the woofers had rotten surrounds. The seller was most emphatic that "they were perfect and sounded wonderful..."

That aside (caveat emptor!), it sounds as if you ended up with a relative bargain. The main thing to me is that you enjoy what you now have. They appear to be well regarded, also probably not too many of them left in Australia now.

I don't know if you did check out the suggested forum, but I have found it to be a tremendous resource.

Most happy to help. Lance.
Closed Thread