UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Audio (record players, hi-fi etc)

Notices

Vintage Audio (record players, hi-fi etc) Amplifiers, speakers, gramophones and other audio equipment.

Closed Thread

Old 15th Jan 2020, 10:53 am   #1
EF80TVVALVE
Octode

Default BSR Monarch 3 speed

Hi all,

I'm repairing this early BSR Monarch 3 speed Autochanger. It has an earlier type of idler set up where the spring sits around the clamp and hooks underneath the idler to keep it pushed against the motor spindle and turntable.

I've noticed it doesn't quite do its job and struggles to keep the idler against the motor and turntable. I much prefer the later type where they use a coiled spring hooked to the chassis of the turntable to keep it where it should be.

Anyway, I need to repair it and I just wanted to know if anyone could help with some photos or details of how it should look. The spring has obviously been messed with as it has all sorts of bends in and maybe not as long as it should be, I don't even know if it is the original spring too really! I think it should be mote of an S shape than it currently is in order to provide enough 'push' to keep the idler where it should be.

Cheers
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20200115_092559.jpg
Views:	97
Size:	46.0 KB
ID:	197133   Click image for larger version

Name:	20200115_095002.jpg
Views:	101
Size:	109.0 KB
ID:	197134   Click image for larger version

Name:	20200115_092605.jpg
Views:	84
Size:	49.8 KB
ID:	197135  
Old 15th Jan 2020, 2:24 pm   #2
Edward Huggins
Dekatron

Default Re: BSR Monarch 3 speed

That is the first BSR "Monarch" 3 speed autochanger from 1952. It's designation may be UA5 and I suggest you try to search out the Manual. There are not many of this very early model around now.
Old 15th Jan 2020, 7:11 pm   #3
Techman
Dekatron

Make sure the pivot that the whole idler wheel assembly swings on is absolutely free to move by the touch of a finger.
Old 15th Jan 2020, 9:02 pm   #4
EF80TVVALVE
Octode

Thanks for the replies both. I've replaced the spring with something more suitable, it now works perfectly in that part. I've powered it up tonight and tried the auto mechanism, the arm doesn't move across at all. It will lift as it drops the record and push back slightly but there is no movement aross to drop it on the record. Attached are some photos, I don't know if something is missing or incorrectly fitted under the tone arm? I have no service manual or diagrams for this so if anyone can help with that them do let me know.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20200115_200009.jpg
Views:	51
Size:	52.2 KB
ID:	197182   Click image for larger version

Name:	20200115_195802.jpg
Views:	54
Size:	32.9 KB
ID:	197183  
Old 15th Jan 2020, 9:15 pm   #5
EF80TVVALVE
Octode

Should add it does return at the end of the record, there is a metal bracket that pushes back on a pin to return it but I can't see anything that lifts it over to drop on the record.
Old 16th Jan 2020, 11:51 pm   #6
EF80TVVALVE
Octode

Okay so I've now got this working properly. The non moving arm was due to even more dried grease that I had missed. I've not worked on this early type of BSR mechanism before and it differs a lot to the later types of which I have done a lot of, so it has been a bit of a learning curve of how this one operates and what gets seized.

The motor was also running slower, this is because the rubber bushings have worn causing the motor spindle to sit slightly off. I can't find any of these early type bushings so I have ordered some later ones which aren't the same but should work with some fettling.

For now I have just removed the brass spacers from the motor mount screws so I can level it off and secure it tighter to level the spindle and it now plays at the right speed.

I'm just wondering, the motor gets quite warm on this one. Is this normal on this unit? It isn't under any strain really and it is working at the correct speed. I've regreased it etc and it spins freely but gets very warm to the touch.
Closed Thread