UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Television and Video

Notices

Vintage Television and Video Vintage television and video equipment, programmes, VCRs etc.

Closed Thread

Old 22nd Oct 2019, 9:16 pm   #1
Niechcial,Steve
Hexode

Default CRM 121 Focus Problem

This tube is fitted to a Decca 101 using a permanent magnet focus assembly. The focus is user adjustable by a knob on the back of the set.
The problem is that from cold, the focus needs progressively adjusting every few minutes until after an hour it is finally stable. Starting again from cold means either winding the focus magnet back again or waiting the hour until the focus comes in. My first thought was that the EHT was going up or down, but using an EHT meter showed that was not the case. The emission on the tube is not bad and the brightness and contrast are stable.
I'm wondering whether I might do some good by stripping off a bit of cathode with the CRT rejuvenator or whether this is some other gun fault. All suggestions welcomed!
Old 22nd Oct 2019, 9:25 pm   #2
Freya
Octode

Default Re: CRM 121 Focus Problem

My thought would be the tube is on the soft side, not much help. What's the getter looking like.
Old 22nd Oct 2019, 9:49 pm   #3
FERNSEH
Dekatron

Hi Steve,
The Decca 101 has permanent magnet focussing, is that correct?
TV chassis is similar to the Regentone Big 12.

DFWB.
Old 22nd Oct 2019, 10:20 pm   #4
Sideband
Dekatron

These Mazda tubes have been dubbed 'airbags'....they go soft over time. When you say the tube is 'not bad' what does that mean? If the emission is not optimal (I doubt it is with a 60 year old CRT) then you may well get focus errors if the cathode is 'lazy' and takes time get to full emission. It will also be caused by molecules of gas (air) that is impairing the vacuum.

Rejuvenation may well help but it has to be accepted that it may only be a temporary cure.
Old 22nd Oct 2019, 11:09 pm   #5
Niechcial,Steve
Hexode

Thanks guys. Yes it is permanent magnet focussing. The getter is nice and silver and there is no sign of a blue glow but I guess could still be a bit soft.
Old 25th Oct 2019, 6:23 pm   #6
Heatercathodeshort
Dekatron

Typical Mazda CRM121 symptoms Steve. The chassis in the Decca is the popular Plessey that can be used with many tube types. It has 2v, 4v and 6.3v heater tappings on the mains transformer marked in black. The focus unit has a wide adjustment.

We have a similar receiver, a Regentone 'BIG12' at the museum that has the infamous CRM121. The emission is good with a nice getter but the picture is poor. Critical focus and just generally lacking in contrast and brightness. When time permits I will probably fit a Mullard MW31-18/74 or maybe something more exotic!

The HT line is 250v, just about enough for the A1 but it can be easily derived direct from the mains with a silicon diode and a bit of smoothing. Quite a rare model. Regards, John.
Old 26th Oct 2019, 1:51 pm   #7
Niechcial,Steve
Hexode

Thanks John. I've got an MW and I will probably go that route. If more A1 would b benefit there is always the possibility of a simple voltage doubler off the mains!
Old 26th Oct 2019, 4:28 pm   #8
FERNSEH
Dekatron

HKS wrote: "The HT line is 250v, just about enough for the A1 but it can be easily derived direct from the mains with a silicon diode and a bit of smoothing. Quite a rare model. Regards, John."
Mullard recommend that the first anode should be >150volts above the cathode voltage. I believe that in Regentone Big 12 sets which are fitted with a Mullard MW31-16 CRT the cathode voltage is reduced by a potential divider.

DFWB.
Old 5th Nov 2019, 9:38 pm   #9
Niechcial,Steve
Hexode

Here are a couple of pics of the Decca DR101. It was the first old telly I bought- back in 1985 before the days of converters so I used to run it from a vcr with 405 tapes through a home built modulator. The cabinet is in lovely condition and when I got it it had the Decca turret tuner conversion fitted. I took that out, but I may put it back. The tube actually seems to be improving a bit with use. The band across the test card is of course a camera artefact.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Decca DR101.jpg
Views:	85
Size:	29.5 KB
ID:	193153   Click image for larger version

Name:	Decca DR101-testcard.jpg
Views:	122
Size:	27.5 KB
ID:	193154  
Old 6th Nov 2019, 1:50 am   #10
FERNSEH
Dekatron

From the 1957 Mullard Maintenance Manual.
Obtaining the first anode voltage for tetrode CRTs.

DFWB.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	PlesseyMk1_CRT_A1volts.jpg
Views:	64
Size:	46.9 KB
ID:	193165  
Old 6th Nov 2019, 11:36 am   #11
Heatercathodeshort
Dekatron

That tube looks very good from the picture.John.
Closed Thread