UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Computers

Notices

Vintage Computers Any vintage computer systems, calculators, video games etc., but with an emphasis on 1980s and earlier equipment.

Closed Thread

Old 6th Apr 2020, 8:17 pm   #201
John Earland
Hexode

Default Re: Commodore PET 3016

Its just very strange though. The games doesn't freeze and we don't have to switch the machine off, it simply makes a loud beep, then the games resets at zero! The highest score etc. is retained! Very odd.
Old 6th Apr 2020, 8:27 pm   #202
julie_m
Dekatron

They're available online (the source code of every PET emulator necessarily contains a copy). Perhaps someone with a suitable programmer can extract the relevant files and burn you a set of EPROMs? (Or a single chip to replace all four; in which case you'll have to bend up 3 pins, and solder two wires {for the top two address lines} and four diodes {to create an AND gate for the chip enable lines} to certain places on the motherboard; one of the diodes is especially tricky but if you can do that, you can do anything!)
Old 6th Apr 2020, 8:59 pm   #203
John Earland
Hexode

I think the EPROMS might be a good place to start-I do know someone but they live in Canada! He’s done it before for me though.
Old 6th Apr 2020, 10:21 pm   #204
SiriusHardware
Dekatron

Um, let's see, so the original PROMs were removed and are no longer available? That's a pity. I have a bad feeling that they may have had a non-standard footprint, and if so there are only a very small subset of EPROM types which can directly replace those.

Let's assume John's expansion board uses more sensible, replaceable devices. If that's the case maybe the better line of attack would be to try to replicate / replace the contents of the devices on that PCB - most likely it already does what Julie suggested, uses a bigger more modern EPROM device with its own address decoder which jumps in whenever the address range of the missing onboard PROMs is accessed.

But: Are we really sure this is a hardware problem? Julie says there are PET emulators around, try loading the game into one of those and see if you can replicate that behaviour with the game running under the emulator. It would be a bit silly to tear the machine apart again if the real problem is just a bug in the game software.
Old 6th Apr 2020, 11:26 pm   #205
John Earland
Hexode

Yes-that’s a good idea. I’ll take a look for some emulators. I also have a tapuino- I’m waiting for a micro sd card writer to arrive. I could download a tap version to see if that is any better.
Old 15th Apr 2020, 10:51 am   #206
John Earland
Hexode

I've been using the Tapuino successfully for over a week. Works beautifully on both the PET and Commodore 64. The game problem above does not seem to happen so it was obviously a glitch in that particular piece of software and/or an issue with the loading from tape.

I have decided to purchase the SD2IEC unit from Tynemouth Software as a disk replacement - tapuino is great but it's a pain to access -so I can leave this in situ without having to move the PET -so I am hoping for a happy experience!
Old 15th Apr 2020, 11:24 am   #207
SiriusHardware
Dekatron

I'm pleased the PET turned out to be blameless, it's been through quite a lot lately.
Old 15th Apr 2020, 3:17 pm   #208
John Earland
Hexode

I spoke too soon! The SD2PET FUTURE device arrived. I plugged it into the PET and it lights up as it should etc. But, when I type in any commands to access the Disk Drive such as CATALOG, DIRECTORY, SAVE "TEST",8 or LOAD "*",8 the machine just hangs there and freezes.

I tried it without the SD2PET attached and I get the same response so I thought it might be a ROM BASIC 4.0 issue. I'm using the Tynemouth Software ROM/RAM board so I switched to BASIC 2.0 and tried LOAD "$",8 but again, the same issue - it freezes. So I'm guessing again, that the ROM is likely to be okay.

Also, without the device attached, when I try to access it via a command I had expected to see '?DEVICE NOT PRESENT' but I don't.

Can anyone help?

Last edited by John Earland; 15th Apr 2020 at 3:24 pm.
Old 15th Apr 2020, 3:51 pm   #209
SiriusHardware
Dekatron

I can't help you with this one unfortunately. If you are sure you are using it as intended then it could possibly be faulty from new, maybe the party who sold you it would be best placed to advise you on how to proceed.

Even people who know PETs won't necessarily have any experience of using one of these as it's non-original, third party hardware.

It would be interested to see some images of it, what's the storage medium? SD cards, or USB storage perhaps?

Is this a PET only item, or is it C64 compatible as well like your other gadget? If it is, what happens if you try it with the C64?
Old 15th Apr 2020, 4:14 pm   #210
John Earland
Hexode

I don't think this is a device issue. I think this is PET issue. The problems occur even when the device is not attached. The PET just freezes everytime the IEEE port is trying to be accessed - even if there is nothing attached. I expected to see the '?DEVICE NOT PRESENT' when trying to access the port without anything attached but I don't. It just freezes. I think this is a potential IC issue leading out to the IEEE port. What do you think?
Old 15th Apr 2020, 4:38 pm   #211
SiriusHardware
Dekatron

Unfortunately this is so far outside my personal experience I can't really offer specific advice.

I take it your TAPDUINO connects to the tape port and pretends to be a tape machine, so that wasn't connected to the IEEE port?

Do you have any other hardware which is designed to be connected to that port?
Old 15th Apr 2020, 4:44 pm   #212
John Earland
Hexode

Yes - the TAPUINO connects to the tape port and that continues to work. I don't have anything else. Apart from the cost (£85!) I would really like the Disk to work. I'm looking at the IEEE Schematics but not sure what I'm looking at!! LOL - I shall keep plodding away.

Thanks anyway - if it wasn't for you, I wouldn't have had the machine running in thw first place!
J
Old 15th Apr 2020, 4:46 pm   #213
SiriusHardware
Dekatron

I see your friends at Tynemouth software also do something called a 'Pet Diagnostics Module' which plugs into the CPU socket and analyses various aspects of the machine, but they do not include loopback tests on the various ports, which is a pity.

I really would just contact them first regarding your problems with this unit (which I also saw on the website) and they may be able to shed some light - don't forget to mention that the machine already has their other add-on Gizmo in it, the one with the offboard PROM / Memory etc. They (more than anyone ) will know what you should be expecting to see when there is nothing plugged in.
Old 15th Apr 2020, 4:49 pm   #214
John Earland
Hexode

Quote:
Originally Posted by SiriusHardware View Post
I see your friends at Tynemouth software also do something called a 'Pet Diagnostics Module' which plugs into the CPU socket and analyses various aspects of the machine, but they do not include loopback tests on the various ports, which is a pity.

I really would just contact them first regarding your problems with this unit (which I also saw on the website) and they may be able to shed some light - don't forget to mention that the machine already has their other add-on Gizmo in it, the one with the offboard PROM / Memory etc.
It is a pity because it would have been worth a try!
Old 15th Apr 2020, 6:49 pm   #215
Kyle__B
Banned

Quote:
Even people who know PETs won't necessarily have any experience of using one of these as it's non-original, third party hardware.

It would be interested to see some images of it, what's the storage medium? SD cards, or USB storage perhaps?

Is this a PET only item, or is it C64 compatible as well like your other gadget? If it is, what happens if you try it with the C64?
A lot more people are going to know about these gadgets than you think. Floppy drives have fell very severely out of fashion with the commodore scene. All old computers really, but especially commodores because of how bulky and annoying those drives are.

It's an SD device and only for the PET series, Commodore's home computers used a different type of port. Not to mention with Commodore the model of drive itself is usually A) only capable of working on one computer family and B) only reads it's own disks...

This is very much a problem with the computer itself but I don't have a PET to hand. I think you might have to go to a computer forum.
Old 15th Apr 2020, 6:50 pm   #216
SiriusHardware
Dekatron

John, I would still suggest you contact TS to see if they recognise your symptom, they might very well say "Oh yes! That's because... all you have to do is..."

If you exhaust that avenue and are still convinced you have a hardware fault with the PET and not the new hardware...

This (attached) is the circuit of the IEEE interface. At the heart of it is a 6520, 'C6', presumably IC6. I don't know if your PCB has the IC numbers identified on the PCB. Also involved are A10 (7417) F1 (74LS08) and A7, A8, A9 (MC3446 * 3).

If all of these ICs are now in sockets, look for the obvious things first, take each of those ICs out one at a time and make sure none of the pins got folded over by accident when they were reinserted after the sockets were replaced.

If there is no obvious problem there You could try, if possible, replacing
C6 (6250)
A10 (7417)
F1 (74LS08)

The ones above are the ones you are likely to have already, or which will be easier to find. Note the 7417 probably -has- to be a 7417, not a 74LS17.

If you had a full set of spare ICs available or money to burn I would suggest replacing A10 (7417) and A7, A8, A9 (All MC3446) first, since these are the devices most exposed to the outside world and with the greater likelihood of being damaged by external dark forces. Unfortunately those MC3446 ICs are pretty exotic (therefore expensive) ICs.

You could order just one and try it in each of the three positions to see if it fixes your problem but - that would be a gamble as there is no guarantee that only one of the original ICs is damaged - could be more.

One good thing about those is that there are three of them so you can do resistive / voltage level comparisons of each one against the other two to see if there are any obvious differences between any one of them and the other two. We'll get to that after you've tried the easier things, starting with a 6520 swap (I have the impression you have a few of those).

Kyle_B - Comments acknowledged and of course other forums / fora exist, but John hasn't done too badly so far here. I don't know that we can definitely say the PET is at fault when the drive device has never been seen working.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	pet_2001N_IEEE_IF.jpg
Views:	46
Size:	67.2 KB
ID:	203064  
Old 15th Apr 2020, 7:30 pm   #217
SiriusHardware
Dekatron

I found this interesting info on, where else but Tynemouth Software's website.

http://blog.tynemouthsoftware.co.uk/...rt-faults.html

It mentions that the keyboard 6520 is also involved in some aspects of the IEEE port.
Old 15th Apr 2020, 8:34 pm   #218
Kyle__B
Banned

I was working on the theory that PETs will tell you off if you try to access a device that's not there, rather than just locking up.Without one to compare with you might have to check that behavior with an emulator.

If it's as stupid as my first C64 then it could just be something as simple as a bad contact somewhere. I know I had to twist that thing at the corners to get it's datasette to work.
Old 15th Apr 2020, 10:21 pm   #219
John Earland
Hexode

Thanks guys-I have 8 6250s and have tried them all with the same result. Even when nothing is attached the PET simply locks. As I’ve mentioned I was expecting to see ‘?Device not present’ or something like that and I swear I have seen the machine do this-just not now!! I can’t believe all 8 ICs are faulty but you never know. Someone else mentioned swapping the 6520s but nothing so far. I’ll check all the contacts to make sure they’re clean etc and then take Sirius’s advice and start looking at the other ICs!
Old 15th Apr 2020, 10:42 pm   #220
John Earland
Hexode

Quote:
I found this interesting info on, where else but Tynemouth Software's website.

http://blog.tynemouthsoftware.co.uk/...rt-faults.html

It mentions that the keyboard 6520 is also involved in some aspects of the IEEE port.
Thank you for this-a really interesting read. I’ve tried the pokes and peeks
(at least the assert ones) and have found some issues. According to the blog the number returned at peek should be the same as at poke, i.e:
0, 52, 52, 255, 52, 251 but I get:
192, 185, 186, 255, 255, 52

Am I doing something wrong or is this telling me that the PET has IC issues?
Closed Thread