UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Other Vintage Household Electrical or Electromechanical Items

Notices

Other Vintage Household Electrical or Electromechanical Items For discussions about other vintage (over 25 years old) electrical and electromechanical household items. See the sticky thread for details.

Closed Thread

Old 23rd Mar 2020, 12:11 pm   #1
Phil G4SPZ
Dekatron

Default Sterling Croydon synchronous electric clock

This clock has been in my round-tuit pile for a couple of years, and I have just got around to it.

The movement has a single centre-hole fixing that had completely corroded away, leaving part of the thread firmly stuck in the cast alloy front mounting plate. The three bolts securing this plate to the movement were also seized in place. Eventually these were extracted without damage after a prolonged soaking with penetrating fluid.

After a fruitless search for a replacement fixing bush, I eventually hit on the idea of holding the movement in place with self-adhesive Velcro discs. This worked very well.

The neat 240 volt 50Hz AC synchronous movement itself worked, but is non-self starting and had a tendency to stop at intervals. I discovered that the flywheel was rotating completely free on the rotor arbor, due to lack of tension on the loose coupling spring. That was tightened slightly and the fault was cured. Light lubrication was applied to the spindles and rotor bearings.

Sterling clocks aren’t common. The following is from the on-line “Les Pook Miscellany”: ‘Two companies with Sterling in their name were making synchronous clocks ca 1937. One was Sterling Croydon Clocks, Croydon, Surrey, who used the trade mark ‘Sterling’. For more information... see POOK L P. British domestic synchronous clocks 1930-1980. The rise and fall of a technology. Springer, 2015.’ This would be a lovely book to own, but at well over £80 it’s hard to justify its purchase.

I have also seen a reference in Grace’s Guide to Sterling Clock Co operating in 1947. I have also seen a very similar movement in another non-Sterling branded clock. I have no idea whether Sterling manufactured their own movements or bought them in. It looks unique though, but more akin to a Ferranti than a Smiths motor.

I think this clock dates from post-WWII as the coil is so compact.

Phil
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	92D586C8-B018-4DE4-95DE-3664FB62C532.jpg
Views:	159
Size:	61.4 KB
ID:	201462   Click image for larger version

Name:	AF37B5BC-AF55-4BAA-9EF0-F9B59DD9BFF8.jpg
Views:	148
Size:	35.9 KB
ID:	201463   Click image for larger version

Name:	4B7EBE43-29C3-4B39-95F8-0AD7E9835F12.jpg
Views:	155
Size:	40.1 KB
ID:	201464  

Optimist [n]: One who is not in possession of the full facts
Old 28th Mar 2020, 10:59 am   #2
Phil G4SPZ
Dekatron

Default Re: Sterling Croydon synchronous electric clock

Thank you to Forum member Stevenkw2t for the PM and subsequently sending me three PDFs full of helpful information on Sterling clocks.

Old 28th Mar 2020, 3:25 pm   #3
hamid_1
Heptode

It would be good if you could post the information on here for all to see.

As you said, Sterling electric clocks are not very commonly found. Consequently there is not much on the Web about them. Some years ago I bought a Sterling Electric clock at a car boot sale. It came in a square wooden case, almost exactly like this stock photo:

https://www.alamy.com/stock-image-a-...165372345.html

From its appearance, I guessed that it's from the 1930s. The dial just says "Sterling Electric - Made in England". There's no mention of Croydon at all. My clock worked after replacing the cloth-covered mains lead which had perished. Only minor irritation - the Set Hands knob was missing. The spindle can be turned with a pair of pliers to set the time, or simply wait until the clock shows the right time, then flick the starter.

I came across the Les Pook page but it only gives a small amount of information. https://lespook.wordpress.com/synchr...ocks/sterling/
Old 28th Mar 2020, 4:34 pm   #4
Phil G4SPZ
Dekatron

There are probably copyright issues. I was sent the information privately on a ‘one-to-one’ basis. I would advise you to send a PM direct to Steven and ask if he’s able to send the info to you too.

Old 29th Mar 2020, 7:14 am   #5
stevenkw2t
Triode

Quote:
Originally Posted by hamid_1 View Post
It would be good if you could post the information on here for all to see.
I agree entirely. It would be great to have a digital library of documents relating to electric clocks. Most of the documents would be long out of print and probably no longer in copyright as well. Unfortunately the book in question is in-print and from a large European publisher.
The copyright act in Australia has a provision which allows limited copying of copyright material for the purposes of 'study and research'. (Other jurisdictions may have something similar - it would be impossible to stop people sharing bits for their own private, non-commercial purposes). I think that sharing a few pages with a fellow scholar of electric clocks would fall under this provision. But posting the doc to a website might be seen as effectively publishing it. The publisher would not be happy - if they found out. So we should stay well clear of doing that.
Old 29th Mar 2020, 10:38 am   #6
Station X

Perhaps you could tell us the title of the book.

Thanks.

Reach for your meter before you reach for your soldering iron.
Old 30th Mar 2020, 12:50 am   #7
stevenkw2t
Triode

It's the book Phill mentioned in the first post 'British domestic synchronous clocks 1930-1980. The rise and fall of a technology'. Les Pook has a website, The Les Pook Miscellany, which is an outlet for his various enthusiasms, including synchronous clocks. It is an excellent source of information but sometimes refers readers to the book.
regards,
Steven
Old 30th Mar 2020, 7:53 am   #8
Phil G4SPZ
Dekatron

Steven has clarified the position very well.

In a few short years we have become used to being able to find most information online, quickly and free. In some sectors (clocks is one such) there are authors who are actively doing original work and research and publishing it, but on a paid-for basis in order to recover their costs, rather than for free. Many of these publications will only appeal to a tiny audience and will sell in small numbers, hence the high cost, and such books often command even higher prices second-hand.

This specific book will have an even narrower appeal as it focuses on the British electric clock industry, which clearly excludes enthusiasts in the large US market. Whilst many 240 volt synchronous clock motors will actually run on 110 volt 60Hz supplies quite happily, they tend to run fast...

Last edited by Phil G4SPZ; 30th Mar 2020 at 8:07 am. Reason: Typo
Closed Thread