UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Other Vintage Household Electrical or Electromechanical Items

Notices

Other Vintage Household Electrical or Electromechanical Items For discussions about other vintage (over 25 years old) electrical and electromechanical household items. See the sticky thread for details.

Closed Thread

Old 2nd Aug 2017, 2:50 am   #1
Ekco-Scott
Pentode

Default Goblin 855 teasmade

I just Bought a Goblin 855 teasmade for the grand total of £1 at auction. It's in very clean shape.

One snag though. The little motor that drives the mechanism is dead :/ it's getting power (220v) as stated on the back but nothing.

It's freely moving so not gummed up.

Dose any one have a replacement motor for sale/know where to get one?

I've wanted a working teasmade for ages so massage disappointed to find this motor was kaput.

S
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_0101.jpg
Views:	189
Size:	26.3 KB
ID:	147252   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_0102.jpg
Views:	176
Size:	46.4 KB
ID:	147253  
Old 2nd Aug 2017, 9:18 am   #2
Mike Phelan
Dekatron

Default Re: Goblin 855 teasmade

S
If all else, the stator coil can be re-wound. There are a couple of members on here who will do it.

As these are getting thin on the ground the motor ought not be scrapped.
Old 2nd Aug 2017, 2:59 pm   #3
G6Tanuki
Dekatron

Looking at it, I'm wondering if one of the small electric motors used with central-heating 3-way valves might be repurposable:

http://www.screwfix.com/p/drayton-sy...us-motor/28670
Old 2nd Aug 2017, 3:11 pm   #4
Mike Phelan
Dekatron

Don't think so as it will have a pinion rather than a worm on its spindle. Again, best just have the coil rewound.
Old 2nd Aug 2017, 3:25 pm   #5
Boater Sam
Banned

Location: Middlewich, Cheshire, UK. & Winter in the Philippines.

Its a very common motor type, Honeywell motorised valves are similar, not sure of the speed, but with a gear pinion. Maybe you can change the shaft and rotor over?
Microwave stirrer motors look the same, again wrong shaft.
Sam.
Old 27th Aug 2017, 12:42 am   #6
Mad Mal
Tetrode

The usual fault with these Teasmades is the motor sticks and needs to be freed up. lubricated with something like a light sewing machine oil or WD40 and it usually then starts working. I've not had one with a failed coil yet. It could happen but i'm sure there is some kind of thermal fuse fastened in the winding beneath the tape. If it has overheated this will have blown. I found this with a Microwave Turntable motor after obtaining a replacement motor. The original motor had a tiny thermal fuse embedded in the tape around the winding, it was this that had gone. Not saying that this could be the case here, but if you manage to get a motor that works. Take the faulty one apart carefully and examine the stator coil.
Closed Thread