UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > General Vintage Technology Discussions

Notices

General Vintage Technology Discussions For general discussions about vintage radio and other vintage electronics etc.

Closed Thread

Old 17th Oct 2017, 9:26 am   #21
mark_in_manc
Octode

Default Re: Why are speakers elliptical?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hartley118 View Post
I guess the cone is a rather clever means of creating a diaphragm stiff enough to move as a whole (at low frequencies) when driven only from the centre by the voice coil. Otherwise it would flap around. I wonder who first thought of using a cone. It was certainly used in the balanced armature speakers of the 1920s before the moving coil came along, and I think in some telephone receivers.

The flat plate is feasible in an electrostatic speaker because the drive force is distributed right across the diaphragm, so there is very little bending moment involved. This tight drive control across the diaphragm helps the electrostatic speaker to avoid much of the characteristic 'loudspeakeriness' of most moving coil units.

Speakers such as the KEF B139 and Leak Sandwich increase flat diaphragm stiffness using an expanded polystyrene sandwich. Again, I wonder who did it first. Their performance suggests that the idea has proved successful.
I agree with Martin. I also thought I'd add that acoustically the cone shape behaves as a flat piston - both in terms of its radiation impedance, and in terms of the agreement between near- and far-field radiation models based on a circular piston assumption, and what you get when you measure in practice. That is, until the cone starts to 'break up' (vibrate in its higher resonant modes) - which is (as Martin notes) what the cone shape is helping to push to higher frequencies than would otherwise the the case, by virtue of increasing the geometric stiffness of the structure (the material stiffness and inherent damping is, of course, what it is).

The radiation impedance of circular pistons has been appearing in acoustics books almost since Rice and Kellog did their thing (20s?), so these are ideas which go a long way back. A book from the 50s, Hunt 'Electroacoustics' Chap 1 gives a nice readable historical review (starting with Benjamin Franklin!) with no maths, if anyone is interested.

Sorry -
Old 22nd Oct 2017, 7:50 pm   #22
stevehertz
Dekatron

I always thought the narrow width provided the higher frequency, 'tweeter' effect, and the wide width provided the bass notes, the 'woofer'. Sort of combining two speakers of different diameters, and to some extent offering the frequency response benefits of both in a single speaker. But I never read that, I just believed it!
Old 5th Dec 2017, 6:04 am   #23
Refugee
Dekatron

Here is a photo of some stretched round speakers that have been pulled from a dead flat screen TV.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF4625.jpg
Views:	136
Size:	74.3 KB
ID:	153397  
Old 19th Mar 2018, 4:02 pm   #24
rontech
Heptode

Hartley 118 Re "who first thought of using a cone "

My undertsanding was that the first electrodynamic cone loudspeaker was invented in 1925 at General Electric laboratories in Schenectady, New York by Edward W. Kellogg and Chester W. Rice. It may be of course that their patent was to combine a moving coil motor with a conical diaphragm. There may have been earlier cones driven by moving iron motors.
Closed Thread