UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > Components and Circuits

Notices

Components and Circuits For discussions about component types, alternatives and availability, circuit configurations and modifications etc. Discussions here should be of a general nature and not about specific sets.

Closed Thread

Old 11th Oct 2017, 7:44 pm   #1
Shaun_469
Retired Dormant Member

Default Tdec and sdec prototype boards solderless breadboards

Hi,

First off, first time post, so hello to everyone

Secondly I was recommended this forum as I came across 4x tdec and 3x sdec prototype boards, I've been told they were the first of their kind...and that some people on here may have an interest in them?

I haven't a clue what they are worth...if anything. Can anyone advise a value?

I look forward to your replies

Shaun
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0469.jpg
Views:	402
Size:	80.9 KB
ID:	150611   Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	419
Size:	65.0 KB
ID:	150612  

Last edited by Station X; 11th Oct 2017 at 9:24 pm. Reason: Forum rule compliance.
Old 12th Oct 2017, 9:53 am   #2
cmjones01
Nonode

Default Re: Tdec and sdec prototype boards solderless breadboards

I have no idea what they're worth, but I do remember the S-DeC being the foundation for a book called 'Adventures with Electronics' by Tom Duncan in the 1980s. They were quite readily available then, and even sold by people like RS for prototyping use. There was a plastic piece which slotted in to one edge which had three teardrop-shaped holes in, into which controls like potentiometers, switches and variable capacitors could be mounted. I think I've still got my S-DeC and I don't need another one at the moment

Duncan's followup book, 'Adventures with Microelectronics', used a 0.1" pitch 'Verobloc' type prototyping board of the sort that's still popular today for Arduino projects and the like. I've still got that one too...

Chris
Old 12th Oct 2017, 12:55 pm   #3
Refugee
Dekatron

There was also a u-dek with an IC socket in the middle.
They all fitted side by side like Leggo bricks.
Old 12th Oct 2017, 2:04 pm   #4
David G4EBT
Dekatron

To be frank, they're not worth anything.

I've still got one somewhere if I haven't binned it, which I used decades ago to try (fruitlessly) to interest my two sons (now aged 49 & 53) in electronics.

Modern versions of S-Decs are used extensively - particularly with Arduino projects - for electronic solderless bread-boarding using 'jumpers'. If you do a google search for 'solderless breadboards' you'll get almost 2 million hits. E-Bay is awash with them - I won't give any, links so as to comply with forum rules, but typically here are a couple of descriptive examples on E-Bay:

1) Solderless Breadboard 400 Contacts Electronic PCB Test Bread Board 400 contacts. £1.00 post free 'Buy it Now' from China.

2) Arduino Breadboard Solderless Protoboard Test Board 400Contacts Tie Points. £1.20 plus 89p post Buy it Now from a UK seller.

There are countless others, some larger, some smaller.
Old 12th Oct 2017, 2:13 pm   #5
ThePillenwerfer
Octode

I've got an S-Dec after getting the Tom Duncan book aforesaid for my seventh birthday.

I have seen them described as "A plastic box of frustration" and won't argue very loudly. They are easier to use than modern breadboards as there's more space between the holes, so less chance of shorts, but there are too few holes for anything beyond the most simple circuits; ones so simple I throw them together on Veroboard and avoid the problems of shorts and poor connexions.
Old 12th Oct 2017, 3:39 pm   #6
Andrew B
Heptode

They originally had gold plated contact strips, which was OK when new, now X number of years down the line, the gold has worn/fell off and made the once intermittent contacts permanantly bad.

Andrew
Old 12th Oct 2017, 10:21 pm   #7
ionburn
Heptode

I have both S-Dec and U-Dec.

On recently checking I found tht the contacts on the S-Dec had obviously become tarnished, and with the U-Dec I found one IC socket had some faulty contacts. On taking it apart I found very messy soldering with some OC terminals. I occasionally use them, but they can be more trouble than help. "A plasic box of frustration" seems an apt term!
Old 13th Oct 2017, 7:21 pm   #8
Lucien Nunes
Rest in Peace

Value as useful devices: zero.
For their 'vintage' interest: I'd buy them (although not for much!)
Old 13th Oct 2017, 7:38 pm   #9
TonyDuell
Dekatron

This brings back memories....

There were actually 4 breadboards (at least) in the series :

Sdec, which was for discrete components only and had quite widely spaced holes.

Tdec, which could take a single 16 pin DIL IC carrier or a pair of 10 lead metal can IC carriers in the middle. These carriers were little PCBs with pins fitted (not too well, I remember soldering them to the PCB to avoid bad contacts) and a suitable IC socket. I only ever had one 16 pin DIL one, and I wore out the socket, so I just soldered a new one to the PCB.

Udec A. Like the Tdec, the same size, and acutally much the same moulding. But with some of the contact strips cut in half and extra locating holes in the top plate so you could use twice as many IC carriers as with the Tdec (2 off 16 pin DIL, 4 off 10 lead metal, or 1 off 16 pin DIL and 2 off 10 lead metal).

Udec B. This had a pair of 16 pin DIL sockets built in, but was otherwise the same as the Udec A.

At one point I had the set of 4 Sdecs and a Tdec. I think I saw the Tdec the other day, no idea where the Sdecs are now. Probably at least one is still around somewhere...
Old 13th Oct 2017, 8:30 pm   #10
G6Tanuki
Dekatron

I remember having a set of these [including the plastic upstand with the 3 teardrop-shaped holes for control-mounting] in the late-1970s - bought from Walton's in Wolverhampton.

They were OK for quick games with simple DC/audio-frequency stuff - indeed I used them to build some of the "Take 20" circuits from Practical Wireless. 2- or 3-transistor low-level audio amps, multivibrators, photocell light-sensors-that-triggered-a-relay.

Given that my interest was always more in the radio-frequency area the 'stray' inter-strip capacitances of sDeC etc. meant they had limited long-term appeal!
Old 19th Mar 2018, 11:06 am   #11
Station X

One post moved to a new thread here:-

https://www.vintage-radio.net/forum/...d.php?t=144918.

Reach for your meter before you reach for your soldering iron.
Closed Thread