UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Telephony and Telecomms

Notices

Vintage Telephony and Telecomms Vintage Telephones, Telephony and Telecomms Equipment

Closed Thread

Old 22nd Mar 2017, 10:04 pm   #1
Kevin1708
Retired Dormant Member

Default 700 type telephones.

I recognised some time ago that Dementia suffers (and their families) benefit from older technology i.e 706 / 741 / 746 phones. I have bought a few of these with the aim of converting them (believing the familiar style might be comforting). My initial foray saw me trying to repair a 706 rotary dial which would not ‘park’ – BIG mistake, taking this 706 dial apart ! I was nearly blinded lol. I have now replaced the dial with a 746 dial which fits but I am unsure of the wiring as the colour code appears different.
Also I need to find the best place to buy replacement parts, Rectifiers and resistors (even screws). This venture is non-profit, in fact I am funding it in its entirety – so economics are an issue.
Any advice most welcome. I am a technology Neanderthal, so advice re video, books on this subject PLEASE.
TIA
Kevin
Old 22nd Mar 2017, 10:13 pm   #2
Station X

Default Re: 700 type telephones.

Hello and welcome to the forums.

Have you looked at this excellent website:-

http://britishtelephones.com/

http://britishtelephones.com/t706.htm

Reach for your meter before you reach for your soldering iron.
Old 23rd Mar 2017, 11:39 am   #3
Nickthedentist
Dekatron

The colour code for the dials should be the same. Could you post some photos please?
Old 23rd Mar 2017, 11:43 am   #4
giraffenigel
Tetrode

Hi,
what a good idea and deserving cause. I have lots of 700 spares, just let me know what you need and I will give you what I have.
Nigel
Old 23rd Mar 2017, 5:45 pm   #5
TonyDuell
Dekatron

There isn't really a '706 dial' or a '746 dial'. By that time all the dials used in normal domestic telephones were compatible. A 706 might well have been repaired with a much later dial.

The wires go in the following order :

Blue
Slate (Grey)
Brown
Pink
Orange.

The pink terminal is the one offset towards the centre of the dial, that will show which end to start from. That order is normally remembered by 'BilL Said B*gg*R the Post Office'. Note that the last letters of the words starting with 'B' is the second letter of the associated colours.

I am not sure how you were nearly blinded by a dial, unless the mainspring flew out. I've never had any problems striping and reassmbling dials and would be happy to talk you through the one you have if you want it. I find them quite easy to work on.

The circuit diagrams of telephones (and other subscriber equipement) are called 'N diagrams' There's a fairly complete set on Sam Hallas's site (do a google search). You add 100 to the number of the telephone to get the diagram number so you want (at least) N806 and N846. You might also want N8846, the Telephone 8746 is the 746 used with the Plug 431A (normal UK telephone plug). There never was a Telephone 8706, though.

You might also consider joining the THG. I have found member of that group to be very helpful when I've wanted obscure telephone parts.
Old 13th Apr 2017, 6:20 pm   #6
markgs2
Retired Dormant Member

Yes, this does sound like an ace idea. I will suggest it for my wife's grandparents.
Closed Thread