UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Radio (domestic)

Notices

Vintage Radio (domestic) Domestic vintage radio (wireless) receivers only.

Closed Thread

Old 27th May 2017, 9:50 pm   #1
DonaldStott
Octode

Default Bush AC91 - Bakelite deep scratches

Someone in their infinite wisdom decided to inscribe the Bakelite case of this Bush AC91 - see pictures below.

What's the best way to deal with these as the Bakelite has a "tortoise shell" effect, so filling, sanding and a respray isn't really an option.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20170527_211822.jpg
Views:	195
Size:	58.6 KB
ID:	143454   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20170527_211946.jpg
Views:	167
Size:	61.0 KB
ID:	143455  
Old 27th May 2017, 10:28 pm   #2
Lloyd 1985
Nonode

Default Re: Bush AC91 - Bakelite deep scratches

One thing I would try with that is to clean it With IPA and a toothbrush, let it dry, the carefully fill it with good quality superglue (not the cheap 5 tubes on a bit of card from a pound shop type, Loctite is good) start at one end of the scratch and work along so you don't get air under it, once filled leave to dry for a few days to a week for deep scratches, then sand it flat with very fine wet and dry sandpaper (600 grit minimum, 1000 or 1200 best) then polish with greygate paste polish no.5 until the shine is restored. The superglue should polish up the same as the surrounding Bakelite, maybe a bit shinier.

I've been using these methods on cracked Bakelite cabinets for a good few years now, and it always comes up good. The idea is that the glue sets crystal clear, so if the underlying Bakelite is clean, the glue will appear the same colour as the Bakelite. The surface will be nice and smooth.

Regards,
Lloyd
Old 27th May 2017, 10:44 pm   #3
DonaldStott
Octode

Thanks Lloyd for the very detailed step by step instructions - need to find a bit of Bakelite to practice on!

Although I have extensive experience of using wet & dry and No. 5 paste I've never used these on "tortoise shell" effect Bakelite.
Old 27th May 2017, 10:52 pm   #4
JacKam_
Pentode

All depends how deep the scratches are. Good idea is to add some bakelite powder to the glue. What we observe is a combination of refraction, reflection, absorbtion and scattering of light.
Old 27th May 2017, 11:47 pm   #5
Lloyd 1985
Nonode

If anything, the tortoise shell, or walnut effect Bakelite is easier to hide repairs, as it's already got uneven colour, which will work in your favour! I've done repairs on walnut, black, green and white cabinets, white is by far the hardest to repair invisibly!

I have experimented with using ground up Bakelite to add to glue for colour, but for something as small as this I wouldn't bother.

Regards,
Lloyd
Old 28th May 2017, 9:32 am   #6
BASSMAN
Retired Dormant Member

I found mixing some old brown shoe polish (Kiwi brand I think) with the superglue allowed you to vary the colour depending on the shade you need. Good idea to practice on a spare piece of bakelite, or a hidden part of the inner case first though.
Closed Thread