UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Audio (record players, hi-fi etc)

Notices

Vintage Audio (record players, hi-fi etc) Amplifiers, speakers, gramophones and other audio equipment.

Old Yesterday, 9:08 pm   #21
Nickthedentist
Dekatron

Default Re: Any ideas how to mend glass tuner scale?

Yes, that's incredible, Mike.
Nickthedentist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 9:31 pm   #22
FrankB
Hexode

I am finding this an interesting thread. Could one take 2 very thin pieces of glass and decal the back of the one piece to use as the front, then sandwich the 2 together, with the decal/lettering in between?

They sell carbide glass drilling blades here locally in a selection of a variety of sizes in one package at Harbor Freight Tools I saw them yesterday.

I think I remember reading in a very old copy of QST (1930's?) Hints & Kinks you could drill glass with a metal rod and very fine grit using kerosene of camphor as a lubricant. The rod needed to be the same size as the hole you need, and very light pressure and a lot of lube was used. IIRC, the pix was of it being done with a drill press. A lengthy process I suspect, with a lot of finesse needed.
FrankB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 8:01 am   #23
mark_in_manc
Heptode

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankB View Post
...you could drill glass with a metal rod and very fine grit using kerosene of camphor as a lubricant...
I have one or two old physics books like that - I was interested in setting up a demo for students but felt it unlikely I was going to have much luck finding lycopodium powder or an india-rubber bag!

(Having just googled the former, I see one can now buy it on the usual auction site. That shouldn't surprise me, I guess, but it does!)
mark_in_manc is online now   Reply With Quote